***SOLD** Dumfries / Galloway - Cull - Oct 08

Hi folks, I just heard from an outfitter that I've recently met and he's got some deer to cull in the Dumfries / Galloway area which seems too cheap to be true.

One of his estates needs to cull approx 150 animals and this is for Does and Calfs only folks, although at £200 / day with the option to shoot pretty much what you see, well, it's too cheap.

What he's looking for is to get a group of blokes together and go and deal with them all over the course of 2-3 days. Local B&B costs approx £35 a night and that's pretty much it.

One thing though folks, this does need to be dealt with ASAP so if you're interested, please PM me with your details - cheers

Roo
www.TheHuntingAgency.com

Bandit Country

I understood that deer management in Scotland was all tickety-boo and done in the best interests of the environment and the health and welfare of the National Herd. I am intrigued as to where 150 does and calves suddenly came from and how the management plan went so far awry. Perhaps someone more experienced could explain how that happens?

This looks and sounds like crisis management, not planned management. Rather bizarrely the people asked to solve the crisis are expected to pay for the privelege.

Ye old stalker

Re: Dumfries / Galloway - Cull - Oct 08

TheHuntingAgency said:
Hi folks, I just heard from an outfitter that I've recently met and he's got some deer to cull in the Dumfries / Galloway area which seems too cheap to be true.

One of his estates needs to cull approx 150 animals and this is for Does and Calfs only folks, although at £200 / day with the option to shoot pretty much what you see, well, it's too cheap.

What he's looking for is to get a group of blokes together and go and deal with them all over the course of 2-3 days. Local B&B costs approx £35 a night and that's pretty much it.

One thing though folks, this does need to be dealt with ASAP so if you're interested, please PM me with your details - cheers

Roo
www.TheHuntingAgency.com
:???: £200 a day that does not sound very cheap to me ,ye old stalker

Bandit Country said:
I understood that deer management in Scotland was all tickety-boo and done in the best interests of the environment and the health and welfare of the National Herd. I am intrigued as to where 150 does and calves suddenly came from and how the management plan went so far awry. Perhaps someone more experienced could explain how that happens?

This looks and sounds like crisis management, not planned management. Rather bizarrely the people asked to solve the crisis are expected to pay for the privelege.
Think there would be a few people from this forum who would be willing to help out an estate with their Deer management problem.

Jonathon

Guys, you're right I'm sure, but not everyone has access to any kind of shooting, so while this may be too expensive for you, that doesn't mean that others may not consider this a bargain.

As for animal management, again, I'm not going to perpetuate this thread with a reply, if you're not interested, that's cool and I fully understand.

Finally, this is sold now - sorry for any of you that were interested, we don't get cancellations very regularly and having had two parties of hunters cancel, this was an unforeseen opportunity that I posted here in good faith. At £200 / day, there's no margin in it for me and I was simply looking to help an outfitter out and extend what I still think is cheap hunting, out to the membership here.

Jonathon, thank you, much appreciated. I've never (to my knowledge) met you or Viking, Ye Old Stalker or Bandit Country, and while I really hate to make assumptions, I can only imagine these three have free / cheap access to stalking where they are - good for you guys, enjoy it, savour it even, but just because that's your reality, doesn't mean there are not many others who are not in such a position.

Finally, what I dare not confirm until I had further clarification last night was that this also includes some young stags too - which is a nice bonus for Phil and the Guys who snapped this up within 10 mins of hearing about it - wasn't too expensive for them, and 3 of them live in Scotland....

I'm really reluctant to post more stalking deals here now following this thread - and who could blame me!

Have a great day folks.

Roo
www.TheHuntingAgency.com

viking

TheHuntingAgency said:
Jonathon, thank you, much appreciated. I've never (to my knowledge) met you or Viking, Ye Old Stalker or Bandit Country, and while I really hate to make assumptions, I can only imagine these three have free / cheap access to stalking where they are - good for you guys, enjoy it, savour it even, but just because that's your reality, doesn't mean there are not many others who are not in such a position.

www.TheHuntingAgency.com
I am in no such position at all. :( And find the inference insulting.
And even in Norway you can get top class
red deer stalking including accomadation and guide for less than £200/ day.
And considering this 'offer' is supposedly to help out an estate at the last minute, to me it sounds more like they are in need of financial help rather than culling.

But that is just my opinion.

Deer in Norway

Nok 1250 with accomadation+ guide/ day
Nok 1550 with accomadation+ meals+ guide/ day

I have no commersial interest in this setup.

Edited to add link.

Don't be reluctant to post any more offers
It has taken me many years to get the patches of ground I have.
It just seems estates which have 'deer problems' only want to make a few quid out of it . If they have a problem there are plenty of stalkers that would be willing and greatfull to help out in any way possible. IMO

Regards
Jonathon

ReneZ

For some of us it is the only way to get into stalking. I must admit the £200 story for helping out hits a soft spot, but then again, beggers can't be choosers and with an offer like this at least you would be able to take the opportunity to do some stalking. I have been searching the site, but there are not that many stalking opportunities offered. Just my .02

Guys, it was a cancellation, simple as that. It was offered to me by an outfitter - he makes his living from doing this - his charge is £130 / day so that's where that came from, the additional £70 was for the beasts / estate, which I still think is reasonable.

Viking - we share the same herritage so I'm sorry you've taken offence - I also took offence at the posts to my offer but stopped short of suggesting that those who are not interested would be better keeping their opinions to themselves - it's a free country and everyone's entitled to an opinion - I just don't see that the negativity that this offer received from the board was fair, reasonable, justified or valid - really, and this isn't the first time that some of the loyal members here have done this to me - check out the BS that was posted when I first joined to defend Mack, a member who posted details of a discounted offer to hunt in Namibia here - it wasn't right then and Sikamalk got involved, now it's happening again?

I don't expect any perks as an advertiser here, but really folks, can't you see what's happening here?

My company has paid to advertise on this site, which means that my little agency is helping this board financially and our network of hunting sites all link back here too - I'm trying to support and add value to this site, yet when I do, you guys shoot me down.

Carry on and what do you think advertisers, including me, will think when it comes to further investment in the site? A site when you and your company and it's packages have been rubbished by members of the forum - would you keep paying for this? Would you keep exposing your company and reputation to possible riddicule and claims of being a rip-off if you were me?

Quite - keep on guys - you'll kill it dead for everyone!

Also - consider this folks - I really don't get any of this from our European and American clients - ever. Only from Brits. It seems we are all so intent on putting each other down that we don't see the bigger picture. Now I get more agro from the 'anti's that I would guess many of you do, it's an assumption I know, but that's what I think. So what do you lot think the anti-bloodsports lot would make of you guys doing this?

Thanks to those of you that have sent me PM's - much appreciated, although while I have some cheap Roe stalking in Wiltshire to offer, I'm going to sleep on this and give it some serious thought before allowing the fedback here to further tarnish the name and reputation that we are looking to build.

snowstorm

Stalking is harder to come across for some people than it is for others, esp if you don't move in stalking circles.

I never intended to get into stalking, it was incidental to some other stuff I was doing and happened by default rather than design.

I have had kind offers from people to come and have a days shoot with them, for free. I'm fortunate to recieve them and I appreciate them, although time has beaten me this year, I'd only take them up because I could return the favour. The point is, I will pay for stalking I get from others by paying them back with stalking. Now I'm into stalking, if could not use stalking I have as a currency then I would pay for it with cash.

If I didn't have many contacts and only got out stalking a few times a year, and had to organise the family and days off work I'd stump up 200 quid for an organised day getting my jollies with a big gun, knowing there were plenty of deer to be had. I know I'd be solving a problem for the estate, but there's no denying I'd primarily be in it for my own enjoyment.

I wouldn't do it every week though!

Stalking is a buzz, and you get a hell of kick out of it, often a freezer full of meat. Nice to have it for free but you can't say it has no value.

Keep the offers coming. It works for some people, and the market will tell you when it's unreasonable.

viking

TheHuntingAgency said:
Guys, it was a cancellation, simple as that. It was offered to me by an outfitter - he makes his living from doing this - his charge is £130 / day so that's where that came from, the additional £70 was for the beasts / estate, which I still think is reasonable.

Viking - we share the same herritage so I'm sorry you've taken offence - I also took offence at the posts to my offer but stopped short of suggesting that those who are not interested would be better keeping their opinions to themselves - it's a free country and everyone's entitled to an opinion - I just don't see that the negativity that this offer received from the board was fair, reasonable, justified or valid - really, and this isn't the first time that some of the loyal members here have done this to me - check out the BS that was posted when I first joined to defend Mack, a member who posted details of a discounted offer to hunt in Namibia here - it wasn't right then and Sikamalk got involved, now it's happening again?
So why not just say so in the first place?

Exactly an opinion, assumptions however are something else. ;)

D

Davie

I think that 200 pounds for stalking as a group is expensive in Scotland and it don't matter how many deer there are unless you also get the venison .
If we pay to shoot deer we must be in it for the pleasure that stalking deer brings .if we are asked to remove 150 beast or be part of the process as a mater of urgency then we should be payed one way or the other.
Please remember that this is a stalking site and most on here have the values of the deerstalker that is to manage deer to the best of there ability. I wish Phil and his mates all the best and hope they have a few quality stalks and also make a difference for the better of the excessive deer population in the area.

Greed and the good of nature have always locked horns and will continue to do so .
Lets try and keep it all ethical and make sure the stalking we pay for is the type of stalking we want and lets not get it mixed up with the shooting of animals for the sake of the shot. ;)

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
I think what is being overlooked here is the fact that the stalking is £70 a day, which is about right for hind stalking. The outfitter is the man putting the figure up into the realms of expensive, not Roo.

I have just re read Roo's original post and it looks as if the original outfitter has the stalking on an estate that has an annual cull of 150 hinds and dependant calves. He is apparently paying the estate £70 a day for the stalking and then passing it on at £200 a day.

Wanting the job done in 2-3 days does give it an air of urgency, a high priority as opposed to a season's stalking which would be the norm. Now if this goes from recreational stalking to a job of work then I can well understand why people would see this as being wrong.

If the estate is offering stalking then it gets paid for it, if it wants a job done then it pays to have the job done. There is a third option the original outfitter wants it done quick, get his money and move on.

Well, ethics apart there are people who see this as an opportunity to get stalking that would under normal circumstances be beyond them, so if they are willing to pay for it, it suits them all well and good. It is sometimes easy for those of us that are fortunate enough to have access to stalking to forget the difficulties that many people have.

Whatever is the truth it it does not matter, there is a cull that needs to be done, a group of stalkers have taken the job on, the estate is presumably happy as is the out fitter, and all are happy with the respective prices. As long as the deer are harvested ethically then everybody is happy.

I don't really see the need for people on the forum to start knocking lumps out of each other over something that we have no control over or did not instigate. I do sincerely hope that if this thread carries on it does so in a friendly grown up manner.

John

[quote="vikingSo why not just say so in the first place?
quote]

This is likely to be my last post on this subject, so let me put it this way.

I was 44 in July, so I'm a big boy now, fully grown and almost mature. In my personal experience, forums, email and bulletin boards have made being clever, picking arguements (and worse) and generally name-calling significantly easier than when we used to meet up and communicate face-to-face, and I've got to say that this is a prime example. Easy to tweek my nose via the internet, but what are any of you looking to achieve from this?

I was given an opportunity in terms of this stalking and I quickly posted it here. I'm an advertiser here, I've paid to do that and that's what I did. I didn't post details of the outfitter, the exact location or the names of any of the deer either - it was a quick post to get the information out to the members of THIS FORUM and sure, I could have added much more information, photo's maps, and so on, but I didn't - instead I asked for those interested to PM me - you didn't so I'm guessing you were not interested - but that's what I asked for.

I'm also a member of these other forums too:

Guntrader's Forum
Big Game Hunting Forum
The Hunting Life Forum
Pigeon Shooting Forum
The Airgun Bulletin Board
Real Hunters Forum
Down South Hunting
Texas Hunting Forum
E-Hunting Forum
Hunting Sportsman Forum
Hunting Chat
Deer Hunters Club
Alaska Hunting
Goose Hunting Chat

If anyone would care to take a look, you'll soon find my posts there, but you won't find one relating to this opportunity as I only posted it here - this is where I like to hang out and since I've put my 'MONEY WHERE MY MOUTH IS' (sorry to shout) this is the only place that I posted it. I then emailed my contact list and very quickly placed the package - done, but you guys had it first.

I've no margin in it, it was a favour for an outfitter and the best I could have hoped for was some happy clients, a greatful outfitter and maybe a bit of venison for myself somewhere along the way - it's not too much to ask, but no, I got this BS instead.

I'm not a fan of having anyone take cheap-shots at my expense and will defend myself and my business to the hilt. You may not appreciate what that means Viking, but you've certainly got my attention and I'm seething this end over it. As a moderator hasn't stepped in here yet, I'm going to retire from this and leave you lot to discuss it further should you wish to, I don't have anything positive to add now and just wish I hadn't bothered.

If my business is going to be continually regarded in this light by the members here then I'm clearly in the wrong place and will simply defend myself and my business from you guys by going somewhere else - easy, it's a big world folks, bigger yet online, so I'm not exactly limited in terms of hunting websites to support.....

I've stalking in Wiltshire as I mentioned - it's £65 / day plus a token amount for the livestock - again I'm talking about Doe culling so it's cheap. That's what I've been asked for by several members of this site - and when I find and deliver it - I'm slaughtered for it.

Not happy with this at all.

D

Davie

The hunting agency when you have finished throwing your dummy out this is a forum for deer stalkers you choice to support it in your own interests and i hope you make lots of money from it. But when people question a post like you put up you should be man enough to see it from this side of the key board 200 pounds a day is a lot of money to cull deer with regards there mass slaughter 2- 3 days is minimum 50 deer a day now i know you have done a lot of shooting so even you would understand peoples jaws dropping to the floor at this type of prospect now even if you get 5 men to gether that would be 10 each day that isn't stalking that's work i know i have done it.
So wind your neck in.
But if you have( stalking) on offer then i am sure the ones on here with out it will be more than grateful.

Bandit Country

It seems like my original response touched a nerve or at least prompted some debate. I'm sorry if Roo took it personally - I was simply making an observation about a deer management situation, and asked a simple question as to how it had come about.

We do need to think about the ethics of what we do because if we don't it will be legislated against. I'm sure we all recall the drama when the DCS moved in to cull 'excess' beasts? I still don't know the rights or wrongs, the ins and outs of that fandango, but I do know it didn't do our sport/recreation/pastime any good at all in the public's mind.

I also know nothing about the economics of industrial deer management in the Highlands, but the irony of asking people to pay to do a job of work was simply too obvious to ignore.

I do wonder where all the "assumption" bit comes from though? A quick revisit of my post contains no assumption, no 'nose tweaking' or name calling. Rather it appears Roo has made some massive assumptions of his own and sequed an innocuous comment into some personal vendetta against him and his business. As a member of so many sites & forums you must know how very easy it is to draw erroneous conclusions from posts - and that not everyone is a troll looking to cause trouble.

In any event, I am sure the gang are suitably grateful for the opportunity to do some large scale culling and perhaps we can hear some of their tales and see some pics next week? It will be interesting to hear how they get on.

snowstorm

I think the BIG moral dividing line in stalking is set at the point you pull the trigger on a deer. It doesn't matter whether the deer you shoot is the first, or the two hundredth.

Thousands of sheep and cattle are killed with a bolt gun every year and there is not problem with that, but if we get legislated against its because we enjoy it, not because of the numbers we shoot. It's the enjoyment factor that some people find unethical.

Whether you shoot two deer, or two hundred, and do it in a day, week or decade - you've set your own moral flag at the far side of pulling the trigger.

We state our position by our actions - killing a deer for recreation is not unethical or immoral.

To some one who does find it immoral or unethical - we have crossed that line, and having shot a single deer, is the same as having shot a hundred.

Ironically, that argument makes a management bulk cull by people who view it just as a job and do not enjoy it, more ethical than shooting for fun.