Something of value.

A Guy Out West

Thought you all might like to see this. I drove by this farm a few years ago during the middle of May. You just can't believe the number of birds until you see it for yourself, it was a joy to see so many wild pheasants running around. I wish more of our farmers realized that they could double or triple their income by managing for pheasant hunting. As the late Mr. Ruark noted, give something value and it will be protected. The way they do it at Jorgensen Farms is a win win for all.

reloader54

Thought you all might like to see this. I drove by this farm a few years ago during the middle of May. You just can't believe the number of birds until you see it for yourself, it was a joy to see so many wild pheasants running around. I wish more of our farmers realized that they could double or triple their income by managing for pheasant hunting. As the late Mr. Ruark noted, give something value and it will be protected. The way they do it at Jorgensen Farms is a win win for all.

lot of cock birds there, hardly any hens??

Malxwal

Sorry, cannot see the sport in that. Pheasants should be flying at full speed, preferably 30+ yards away, to present a sporting target. Horses for courses I guess.

A Guy Out West

That's not my kind of bird hunting either, nor would be shooting driven birds. The only pheasant hunting I'm interested in is what I believe you call rough shooting in the UK. One or two guys with a bird dog walking them up. Being afield with a good pointer, setter, or lab is one of life's greatest pleasures. The point of my post was to outline how pheasant's can bloom if they are made valuable.
Cheers

Sorry, cannot see the sport in that. Pheasants should be flying at full speed, preferably 30+ yards away, to present a sporting target. Horses for courses I guess.

FISH BOY

More like pest control, with shooters 5 meters apart in a line as far as the eye can see.

Hardly sporting with a semi auto and with the birds hardly off the ground.

ss03947

More like pest control, with shooters 5 meters apart in a line as far as the eye can see.

Hardly sporting with a semi auto and with the birds hardly off the ground.

Have to agree, double lines of shooters (semi auto's) with half a dozen shooting at the same bird, & shots pillowcasing on vid does nothing for the sport.......as said by one of them it's "Production Entertainment Hunting"..:rolleyes:

willowbank

I havn’t read the rest of the thread, I don’t want to, i would think that to get such numbers of birds flushing in front of the guns they have blanked in a huge acreage , not keen on shooting birds off the end of the barrel, as most of those I saw shot will be inedible. Call me ”old Skool” but I was brought up to respect wildlife and food.

This type of shooting goes on at some large commercial shoots in the UK and I’ve picked up on a few but not for long....

Willowbank

reloader54

face it folks things are done different in other parts of the world, running boar , turkey hunting, hog hunting with dogs, big game in Africa, extreme range prairie dog shooting, canned hunting, some we see as acceptable, some not so much, I dare say some of our forms might be questioned by those not in the UK, who knows.

A Guy Out West

Holy smokes. I thought I would see comments like, how can they produce such numbers of wild birds? Whats the secret to creating an eco system that produces birds in that number, etc. The point is that they kill over 2000 wild birds from this one farm year after year and there are still plenty of birds. Instead some of you have turned this into a critique of the hunting method. I guess I should have provided you with some more details of this kind of hunting. Most of the guys that go on these types of hunts do it as part of a company team building event. A company will take their executives and high level managers on a "hunt" they have fun and build relationships with each other. Likely, most of these guys never even touch a gun for the rest of the year. You can tell the novices by the shooting of the birds too close to the gun and by using too heavy a shot charge as was shown in the video. I'm sure there are some exceptions and that there are folks that like hunting this way. How anyone can like it is beyond me. Having a pheasant fly a gauntlet while 10 to 20 guys blast away at it is a shame. As pointed out to me earlier on this site, there are even people that shoot pheasants that are released from a tower. When I think of South Dakota pheasant numbers, I can't help but think that if there, why not everywhere. My state has some wild pheasants but nothing like it could have. If our local farmers and ranchers understood that they could make some real money by managing for pheasant hunting, things will change for the better and I will be able to go out with my dog and hunt pheasants like they should be hunted.

John Gryphon

Holy smokes. I thought I would see comments like, how can they produce such numbers of wild birds? Whats the secret to creating an eco system that produces birds in that number, etc. The point is that they kill over 2000 wild birds from this one farm year after year and there are still plenty of birds. Instead some of you have turned this into a critique of the hunting method. I guess I should have provided you with some more details of this kind of hunting. Most of the guys that go on these types of hunts do it as part of a company team building event. A company will take their executives and high level managers on a "hunt" they have fun and build relationships with each other. Likely, most of these guys never even touch a gun for the rest of the year. You can tell the novices by the shooting of the birds too close to the gun and by using too heavy a shot charge as was shown in the video. I'm sure there are some exceptions and that there are folks that like hunting this way. How anyone can like it is beyond me. Having a pheasant fly a gauntlet while 10 to 20 guys blast away at it is a shame. As pointed out to me earlier on this site, there are even people that shoot pheasants that are released from a tower. When I think of South Dakota pheasant numbers, I can't help but think that if there, why not everywhere. My state has some wild pheasants but nothing like it could have. If our local farmers and ranchers understood that they could make some real money by managing for pheasant hunting, things will change for the better and I will be able to go out with my dog and hunt pheasants like they should be hunted.

Thanks Guy,
i looked up the place,wild birds too,not coop birds. A nice place to visit i reckon.