Sound Moderator

Sub-MOA - so, from the one at the bottom, the range was about 340 yards?

Still huddled in slit-trench, waiting for more incoming.

Charles

charadam said:
Sub-MOA - so, from the one at the bottom, the range was about 340 yards?

Still huddled in slit-trench, waiting for more incoming.

Charles

Theres always one...isnt there! :lol:

The hole at the bottom is clearly nothing to do with the group...is it!

.308 can group extremely well without moderators; tagret shooters are proving that for years (Camp Perry, Palma etc), so that comment is just that. :rolleyes:
With a proper load worked up for a rifle all will shoot quite well and group consistently if nothing is faulty. If you have worked up your load or decided on a factory load whilst using a moderator for its best effect it will always shoot not as well without the moderator as you have changed the total equation of what makes a rifle shoot well (assuming you are a very consistent shooter). Quite possible the ultimate load for an un-moderated rifle will produce not as good results in a moderated one. Different moderators will have different results as well.

Mod

I fired my rifle (Rem 700 .243) today with the mod on to check zero, it was slightly out first time for about 2 years I have had to adjust it and I am out a couple of times per week. I adjusted on and got a group 1/2 inch ish. I took the mod off and grouped 1, 1/2 inch and 3 inches high. Perhaps group size increase is down to flinch? I doubt it though because it is a heavy rifle and only. 243 so the recoil is negligable. I expected the POI to be else where down to a massive change in the barrel harmonics.

Dave

This is an interesting subject as Mr M and I have had to this exercise for a forthcoming holiday to the Czech Republic where mod.s are banned. We have rezeroed our previously modded rifles with the mod.s off. Mr M's heavy Mauser 308 barely changed with mod off, just a a click or 2 down on the turret. My light Tikka T3 243 was well off about 8 clicks down. The mod is going back on my rifle as soon as I get back! Too much noise and recoil! I have written the required adjustment down. Is rifle weight a factor or is it the barrel harmonics?

Claire

Haven't done my tikka lite .243 yet 100 gr, vs others ! will see whats in the pot, and go for it. I us factory loads federal for my 243. Swampy's introducing me to the fine art of reloading ,I trust his expertise!. He knows his ****! :lol: Trapper

Back