Spooky experiences in the woods

snowstorm

I usually stay over in the woods on my own when I'm stalking, last time I was there, just as it was getting dark and I was putting some gear in the car I heard a loud very strange noise very close to me.

Not quite an animal, not quite mechanical. I couldn't find anything to explain it and didnt hear it again. It was like a rough, harsh sounding whoosh. I still cant figure out what it could have been.

I'm not sure how manly I would have been about it had I not had the deer rifle and 12 bore with me!

I was listening to the excellent 'The Willows' on BBC7 earlier (catch up with it on their web site), a scary story of strange occurences in the outdoors if ever there was one.

It got me thinking - who else has had any scary/supernatural/unexplainable experiences when you have out in the wilds alone??

rotflmo.gif
rotflmo.gif
rotflmo.gif

Snowstorm,

After reading of your strange experience I had a look back in my game journal and on 17 March 1998, I was out lamping foxes with a mate of mine and whilst in the middle of nowhere, and in pitch darkness, an area the size of 2 tennis courts lit up as if with floodlights about 100 metres away from us. It lasted for a couple of minutes and then went out slowly like a dimmer switch being turned off.

Now I'm not an EFO watcher or anything like that but this made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck and I remember saying to my mate............. "I'm glad I've got a rifle with me". Wonder what they would have thought of a .243 on Mars !

Incidentally, and more seriously, I rang my mate the next morning to check the details and confirm that we actually saw what we saw because it was definitely weird.

Blot

In answer to your question Blot I think you will find that on Mars they prefer the 6.5x55 to the .243. :lol:

Grantoliver said:
In answer to your question Blot I think you will find that on Mars they prefer the 6.5x55 to the .243. :lol:

Wots wrong with a good old fashioned death ray?

Uullaaaa! :D

snowstorm said:
It was like a rough, harsh sounding whoosh. I still cant figure out what it could have been.

perhaps a large zip, on the front of a very large pair of trousers? :confused: :confused: :eek:

Stalking through a forest just north of Cumbernauld in Scotland during an autumn afternoon. It had been raining most of the day but had recently stopped and the sun had broken through - i hoped a roe or two would break cover in order to get the sun on their backs.

30 mins in and i was startled by a horrible gurgling and moaning noise. Not a pleasant noise but coming round the corner of the ride i discovered a wrinkly old couple hard at it. I must admit that i was impressed that they had made it so far into the forest and their vigor.

I crept away and left them to it. :lol:

I think i would od let a round of , 1 of them may have jumped and the other may have squealed :lol:

Great tales guys.

I was kipping in the woods once (in Devon), just under a basha and was woken by what sounded exactly like a coach and horses charging through the woods...needless to say, I didn't open my eyes!

I subsequently found out that the track near which I was sleeping was the route of the old coach road! Gives me shivers to this day.

I also remember being gripped by a nameless and numbing panic once while sitting in the middle of a reed bed waiting for duck....in fact, now I come to think of it, I must be a really windy bugger, stuff like this is always happening to me!

theres strange things in them there Lauder hills snowstorm, things we locals never talk about, >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>whoosh :D :D

1shot1kill said:
theres strange things in them there Lauder hills snowstorm, things we locals never talk about, >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>whoosh :D :D

Yes - it's us Geordies.

There is now a breeding population. The damage they are doing to the trees is quite bad. Once the rut was confined to Friday nights in the toon, but now you can see two males fighting over females anywhere from Middlesbrough to Berwick. Oddly, from Sunderland up over you can often see two females fighting over males. Often in broad daylight as well.

You can use a call which mimics the sound of a can of Diamond White being opened and it often draws them out of the trees.

This time of year they shed their summer coat of a Newcastle United home top in favour their winter coat, which is bare chested.

What you need to do is check the relative size of your toes. One geezer has a thoery that we aren't pure CroMagnons but a hybrid of CroMagnon and Neanderthals. Some folk believe that Neanderthals, having less developed brains, managed to survive because they benefitted from inherited memory - i.e. something experienced by parents or grandparents could be 'known' to offspring, who haven't had the same direct experience. Apparently your distant ancestry can be identified physiologically by the relative size of your big and second toes. If your toes are simply echeloned back from big toe down to little toe, you are predominantly CroMagnon. If your second toe extends in line or in front of your big toe you are predominantly a Neanderthal. In this case you are more likely to have a residual 'inherited memory' and therefore predisposed to being sensitive to atmosphere or past events in certain places - or as Snowstorm so eloquently puts it "Spooky experiences in the woods".

I wonder if there is a poll in there - Big Toe vs Second Toe?

Bandit Country said:
What you need to do is check the relative size of your toes. One geezer has a thoery that we aren't pure CroMagnons but a hybrid of CroMagnon and Neanderthals. Some folk believe that Neanderthals, having less developed brains, managed to survive because they benefitted from inherited memory - i.e. something experienced by parents or grandparents could be 'known' to offspring, who haven't had the same direct experience. Apparently your distant ancestry can be identified physiologically by the relative size of your big and second toes. If your toes are simply echeloned back from big toe down to little toe, you are predominantly CroMagnon. If your second toe extends in line or in front of your big toe you are predominantly a Neanderthal. In this case you are more likely to have a residual 'inherited memory' and therefore predisposed to being sensitive to atmosphere or past events in certain places - or as Snowstorm so eloquently puts it "Spooky experiences in the woods

I wonder if there is a poll in there - Big Toe vs Second Toe?

You deffinetly have to much time on your hands or is it TOE'S :lol: :lol:

Jonathon

On physiological feature which has been researched is this:

If you hold your hand out in front of you and close your fingers together, those whose ring finger extends further than their index finger tend to be more agressive, competitive, pysically stronger and better co-ordinated and generally altogether more macho and manly than those whose index finger is longer than their ring finger.

snowstorm said:

If you hold your hand out in front of you and close your fingers together, those whose ring finger extends further than their index finger tend to be more agressive, competitive, pysically stronger and better co-ordinated and generally altogether more macho and manly than those whose index finger is longer than their ring finger.

The flip side is that all the passive, lacksidasical, weak, unco-ordinated effeminate folk can get their index fingers on the trigger fractionally quicker than all the tough guys. Which is probably why we invented projectile weapons in the first place and all the macho types are slowly being culled out of the gene pool! :lol:

Bandit Country said:
snowstorm said:

The flip side is that all the passive, lacksidasical, weak, unco-ordinated effeminate folk can get their index fingers on the trigger fractionally quicker than all the tough guys. Which is probably why we invented projectile weapons in the first place and all the macho types are slowly being culled out of the gene pool! :lol:

Well i'm knackered to start with , with a f*****d index/trigger finger.
Not only is it shorter, it's got a nice curve on it from 6 opps to fix severed tendons :rolleyes:

Jonathon

243varmint said:
Bandit Country said:
snowstorm said:

Well i'm knackered to start with , with a f*****d index/trigger finger.
Not only is it shorter, it's got a nice curve on it from 6 opps to fix severed tendons :rolleyes:

Jonathon

I do believe you may the origin of the expression "Gender bender"? :lol:

Back