Sporting Rifle Shoot – Sunday 23 September 2018

Right, yesterday evening, after three months of procrastination, I resized, decapped, cleaned the primer pockets of, trimmed, chamfered and filleted 100 7mm-08 cases. So I'm halfway to being ready for Sunday. Nothing like a fun deadline to spur one into action. But damn, it's a tedious process....

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

8x57

Distinguished Member
Right, yesterday evening, after three months of procrastination, I resized, decapped, cleaned the primer pockets of, trimmed, chamfered and filleted 100 7mm-08 cases. So I'm halfway to being ready for Sunday. Nothing like a fun deadline to spur one into action. But damn, it's a tedious process....

It must be darned hard work filleting 100 7mm-08 cases by hand Pine Marten. :lol:
I assume that predictive text has snuck in yet once again.

Good luck with the shoot on Sunday, I just hope the weather holds off for you all. Unfortunately I'm not a member of any of the relevant organisations or else I would have considered entering what should be a good shoot.

Funny you mention that PM as I too was making inroads into my precious supply of Varget last night.

May as well use this post to point out the NRA sets the rules in respect of Bisley event entry requirements so please don't blame the comp' organizer if you take exception to the need for shooter competency certification. I've received a few PM's that really ought to be directed at Andrew Mercer and/or the MOD!!

Last edited:
Funny you mention that PM as I too was making inroads into my precious supply of Varget last night.
I have yet to scrape up the dregs of N-140, that will be tonight or tomorrow evening. But at least I won't have to load a hundred. Also, bullet seating is actually fun. It's the end. It's like drawing a pattern on a shepherd's pie or ironing shirt collars: it means you've finished.

And then an hour at the range and you have to start again.

What's the story with the Kahles pro-stalker thing by the way?

8x57

Distinguished Member
Klenchblaize now a Shooter Competence Certificate is one thing that I do have.

No doubt you aware and have already considered that you can get around the lack of a SCC using close supervision, however this is labour intensive.

For Clarity:

Entry
Entry will be restricted to those able to provide either:
i) a current valid BSRC membership card;
ii) a current valid Individual NRA membership card; or
iii) a current valid individual BASC membership card.
Those not providing proof of BSRC membership will also be required to provide a current valid Firearms Certificate to confirm their name and address and details of these will be recorded at registration on the day in order to satisfy Home Office requirements for visitor attendance.
ALL shooters will be required to provide a current valid Safe Shooter Card showing the use of telescope sighted rifle.
Anyone not able to meet the entry requirements above will not be permitted to shoot.

Reloading done! Despite nighttime rushes to A&E and everything. For the weather, I have GoreTex. For the inconvenient rail maintainance work, I have determination and in imaginative approach to public transport. Looking good!

scrumbag

Hi Klenchblaize,

Just as a thought, is there a reason why people who get their BASC membership through their, say, wildfowling club can't shoot?

This is great event and well done for getting lots of people involved, just seems you might exclude some with the BASC "Individual" member caveat.

See you tomorrow! (Sorry, hadn't seen this up, was notified through BSRC channels)

Scrummy

Dalua

Don't be put off by the forecast for heavy rain and moderate winds. We'll erect a gazebo either on or behind firing point.
I'm afraid you seem to have got the weather which we were forecast earlier in the week to have. I'm pleased to say that our forecast for tomorrow has improved beyond imagining - and yours doesn't look to bad for the afternoon.

As for gazebos, what we of the Pennines call a moderate wind would preclude the use of such soft Southern device - which, apart from anything else, is unlikely to be found in the Alps at the end of the semi-vertical stalk up which our single stick has supported us.
Think on't!

Dalua

Last bump.

This is what the goat looks like at 200 yards. Should be a piece of cake for all the SD Longrangers:
Here are our goat-antelopes - as dry last year as I hope they'll be tomorrow!

PSSAFoxGoat14Oct2017a.jpg

If there is severe preciptation, however, we'll shoot a different discipline from a covered point with a concrete foundation!

Last edited:

Dalua

Wind direction flags?!
:eek:

Hope all goes well. It's coming down in buckets at Bisley as I wait for the NRA office to open.
:cry:
Wind-direction flag-poles only visible - the red flags visible are mandatory 'range in use' signals: participants caught looking at them for wind-doping purposes will be disqualifed.

The DVD sent with the latest edition of 'Wild und Hund' has a report from the French Pyrenees which is putting me in the mood for this afternoon's event.

I hope your weather bucks up a bit.

Well that was... damp!

Thanks very much K and Steve for the excellent coaching, and NDTman for bringing my little binoculars that I won at H4H. Just the thing for stalking squirrels in the garden at ten metres!

paul o'

Glad you had a nice day chaps and for once I was glad I did't have a silly white card :smug: as I would have been there also getting wet :british:pmsl