sportsman exeter

Well if they do i dont think it could be a bad thing :confused: Ive delt with sportsman quite a lot in the past & can only give them praise for the service ive received. Always been very helpful to me so yeh, It would be good in my eyes :D :D

They have secured the deal, annouced earlier this week in the shooting press.

I have dealt with Sportsman face to face and via phone and internet.

Face to face is fine if you avoid the weekends, far too busy then and they are rushed of their feet in the Exeter shop.

Phone is OK but can be a bit hit and miss.

Website not great, they take the money straight away even if item not in stock and it can then be a bit of chasing around to get things sorted.

As for being good to the general shooter, time will tell. It will make them the biggest retailer in the country by some margin and they may start messing around with pricing. It will also push smaller outfits so some may suffer and small local shops could fold with this pressure and the state of the general economy.

Only time will tell I guess.

I have dealt with them a couple of times, only on a mail order basis, but they have treated me well and I have no complaints. Lets hope they do not turn into a Tesco or some such and start pushing the small man out, if they did they would get no more of my trade.

John

Bought a few rifles from Sportsman when they were in Paignton. Always pleasant to deal with. Also were quick with quotes by email so I guess they'd get my vote. Moved a bit far north for them now though :D

Talking of Exeter... Is the gunshop in Heavitree is going? Bought my first two rifles from them. And is Doug Brailey still knocking around?

The Gun & Sport Shop in Heavitree is still going, used to go to school just around from there and spent far too many lunch breaks hanging around in the shop.

i don't use the sportsman much any more ,as i hav a mate who recently started up his on small shooting goods outlet :lol: ,
the sportsman, among others ,are one the wholesalers he uses , since litts went up the wall so hav the trade prices ,about 20% :cry:
got to pay for the new shop now i suppose,
good luck to them ,hope they are able to keep giving the discounts

Rumour has it that they are bigger than Litts were -surprised me but then they've bought Litts so must have some serious funding behind them although they will have got it for a decent discount.

dealt with them online and face to face a southern counties nothing but praise for them very polite and helpfull and you get some good deals .

hi 300 nothing wrong with a tikka mate just yours is too heavy i fell ass over titt getting through that hedge when we went out good job your a big guy to carry it about ps gambrels are really good got three roe in the chiller as we speak .

i had a bad experience with them. called about some ram trousers, got told they didn't have any so call back in a couple of days as they were expecting a delivery, so i did that a few times, no luck. then one of the sales guys tells me he has found a pair at another shop so he will get them sent to him then on to me, brilliant i thought, what a helpful guy. trousers didn't arrive, so i called and they didn't have a clue what i was talking about, got told we don't have any but we are expecting a delivery anytime now. told them that if they hadn't recieved their delivery by friday (3 weeks ago) then cancel my order as i'll get some at the game fair. 2 weeks later some trousers turn up, but they are montana ones not rams, i'm feeling a little let down at this stage and have sent them back. i think i'll go elsewhere in the future i'd rather pay the little man a bit more but get a decent service.

Sportsman might be big but I can't fault their face to face sales.When I bought a Browning 12b from them last year the salesman must have put together at least a dozen so I could find one with wood I liked - great service.
Have to agree with others though and hope it doesn't ruin trade for the small guys.

Wobbly Harry said:
Sportsman might be big but I can't fault their face to face sales.When I bought a Browning 12b from them last year the salesman must have put together at least a dozen so I could find one with wood I liked - great service.
Have to agree with others though and hope it doesn't ruin trade for the small guys.
It won't ruin trade for the small guys as long as we use them.
I live just outside Exeter and prefer the personal service given by the Exeter gun and Sport shop in Heavitree Exeter, Keith and Neil Chard took over the business from their father Ken some years ago and their prices are competitive.Very helpful guys.I do on occasion use the Sportsman but only for items not available to the Heavitree shop.
Regarding the previous question and Doug Brailey, as far as i am aware he is still around but sold his gunshop many years ago.
Finally, i would much rather give my business to either of the above than to Ladds in Crediton!

devon deer stalker said:
Wobbly Harry said:
It won't ruin trade for the small guys as long as we use them.
I live just outside Exeter and prefer the personal service given by the Exeter gun and Sport shop in Heavitree Exeter, Keith and Neil Chard took over the business from their father Ken some years ago and their prices are competitive.Very helpful guys.I do on occasion use the Sportsman but only for items not available to the Heavitree shop.
Regarding the previous question and Doug Brailey, as far as i am aware he is still around but sold his gunshop many years ago.
Finally, i would much rather give my business to either of the above than to Ladds in Crediton!

I`ll second the above.
basil.

Bought a few guns from Ladds over the years but not recently, always dealt with old man Donald in the past when the shop was at the top end of the high street at crediton. He was great to deal with.

Not so much faith in the new shop or the son...

I was going to say that but forgot! Always been put off by them answering the phone and having a long discussion while I'm standing in front of them.

pjkaz said:
Sportsman exeter buy litts. good or bad ?
hi not to sure if the deal is done there may still be questions over stock ownership. and as for the sportsman exeter gary aboo and staff great guys. if thay have the stock thay will do a bit of a deal if thay don,t have the stock you may be in for a bit of a wait. prices seem to be on the up on most items. i hope the gun shop in heavitree can keep going. and as for ladds thay do need a kick in the butt.

Back