Springbuck culling - South Africa

Bushwack

Springbuck occur naturally in drier zones like: Namibia, Botswana and the Northern Cape Province of South Africa. Body sizes vary quite widely according to the region. Those in the more Northern region of Namibia, South Africa / Botswana are noticeably larger (55 – 65kg / 143lbs) than those in the Southern areas of Namibia and South Africa (25 – 35kg / 77lbs) – This species seems always to do better in the Desert / Kalahari habitat than in the more wooden / bushveld areas. Both ram and ewe’s carries horns.

Knowing the hunting area’s of Namibia, Botswana and the Northern Cape / Kalahari well, I did a lot of hunting as a young hunter on springbuck in these areas, and in a curtain regions different hunting tactics must be used to hunt springbuck and other species.

Namibia/ Botswana – Walk & Stalk, Bakkie (Truck) hunting, “Voorsit” hunting (Sit on a special made bench, while natives herds the springbuck your way).

Eastern/ Western/ Northern Cape – “Voorsit”, Bakkie (Truck) hunting.

Northwest/ Limpopo province – Walk & Stalk.

Here you can see a culling operation in the Karoo/ Northern Cape area. You can also see the bench we use to do the “Voorsit” hunting with…

Photo's

E3_SPRINGBOKKE5_-_KWOTA_VIR_DIE_DAG.JPG

F3_SPRINGBOKKE7.JPG

E5_SPRINGBOKKE4.JPG

D8_SPRINGBOKKE.JPG

D4_WIKUS_-_SNIPER_KID.JPG

F4_SKIET_STOEL_-_BEACH_STOEL.JPG

Meat:
Springbuck venison is excellent with mutton (Lamb). The meat is tasty, especially making stews or “Potjie kos” (Meat cooked with vegetables in a cast iron pot on an open fire).

Prime areas:
Good trophies all over S.A, but for meat the prime areas are Namibia and South Africa’s Kalahari region.

Rifle / Calibre:
22-250 up to 300WM, but mostly used are the .243 and the.270. Long distances shooting are required up to 250m (273 yards). Variable and fixed power scopes can be used - min. fixed power must be by x 6.

The pics ring a bell. Wasn't there a TV programme that had some ladies doing the culling? Seem to remember it was all head shots and one lady upset by shooting pregnant beast?

Dave

Most probably you have seen them on other Hunting forums. Most are rams (Male) as seen in the pics. It was a culling i did with local and foreign hunters and unlucky for me not with the beautiful female gender...

regards,

Ballibeg said:
The pics ring a bell. Wasn't there a TV programme that had some ladies doing the culling? Seem to remember it was all head shots and one lady upset by shooting pregnant beast?

Dave

Dave

It was called Dangerous Jobs For Girls & I think it was shown last September on Channel 4. You can probably catch it again on-line at 4oD.

Chris

Back