Stag stalking, recommendations?

wildfowler.250

Looking for recommendations from everyone on here as it’s something I’d like to try and book. I’ve only done a small amount of red deer stalking and it’s been by invite on hinds,(stags are kept for the estate owners and not let out).

Where has been your favourite place to stalk red deer? Either due to scenery, good ghillie or quality of beasts ect?

I’d been keen to try and book somewhere that still uses ponies but that is much lower down on the list of priorities. Despite doing odd equine work they do require me to take a few antihistamines :lol:

The last question is a bit of a tricky one. I know most of the stag stuff is cull stalking whereas roe you can quite easily book a stalk and go out for a ‘trophy’ buck. Is there any estates that are more likely to cull off a few older / larger beasts? You occasionally get the odd royal past it’s best and I’m assuming some estates may be more likely to produce this size of stag than others?

Cheers!

DD-90

The castle is incredible, I certainly didn’t have any issues. With it being so secluded it may be that they struggle to attract/ retain staff. I enjoyed staying and eating in the castle as much as the stalking, all added to the trip for me

wildfowler.250

Thank you for all the replies. Which estate would you recommend in Glen Lyon? I thought until googling that this was just one estate but seems split into several?

Isle of Skye and unaccompanied. Did the ghillie / garron / stag experience at the NT place in Cairngorms once - a great experience but prefer solo hunting.
How do you go about unaccompanied in Skye?

Thanks for all the replies. Looking into 2020/21, not for this season. Cheers!

bogtrotter

Thank you for all the replies. Which estate would you recommend in Glen Lyon? I thought until googling that this was just one estate but seems spli

Thanks for all the replies. Looking into 2020/21, not for this season. Cheers!
Thank you for all the replies. Which estate would you recommend in Glen Lyon? I thought until googling that this was just one estate but seems split into several.

Glen Lyon estate, Auch & Invernearan estate,Meggernie estate, Roro estate, Chesthill estate
Take your pick, they are all in Glen Lyon the longest glen in Scotland.

wildfowler.250

Cheers for the replies. Plenty to look into so much appreciated. I’d like to try and take a royal if possible as a one off,(turning 30 next year :oops:) so depending on what they have and whether thats an option might help break the choices down a bit.

Thanks again and any other suggestions are always helpful!