Stainless steel nails in lieu of stainless steel media

yeet

As title says, anybody used (small) stainless steel nails whilst wet tumbling, any pitfalls I should think about? Thanks in advance

I can't see it really matters what you use, it will be interesting if any body can suggest a reason why a particular media is best...

I was going to snip a load of 22LR cases into two or three bits...the cases you are cleaning will burnish each other on the outside...the smaller media / pins do the insides and the primer pockets...

The only issue is to make sure nothing gets stuck in the case and overlooked before loading.

At one time I had an enormous 1.5 tonne rumbler for forged steel stuff up to a 1200mm long at one extreme, and a Nivea hand cream pot tumbler on a tilted record deck at the other. The hand cream pot was for silver jewellery and the media I used was just trimmings and offcuts of silver with a bit of Fairy liquid and water and a spoonful of rouge. The rumbler used granite chippings because I couldn't afford/justify half a tonne of the ceramic chips at the time...

Alan

Last edited:
The thing is I've already got something along the lines of 6kg of 6mm stainless nails, I'm not adverse to getting stainless media was just wondering if I could use something I already have

The thing is I've already got something along the lines of 6kg of 6mm stainless nails, I'm not adverse to getting stainless media was just wondering if I could use something I already have
If they are 6mm long and decent stainless I’d crack on with those.

I am sure they would be fine...what is the worst that could happen?

Alan

Back