Stalking advice

Deeps

Hi all, I'm ex UK forces, navy, engineering background. Although trained (many years ago) on SLR's, SMG's and Browning 9mm pistol, my preferred weapon of choice these days is a camera. Being based in the West of Scotland I enjoy access to some amazing scenery and plan to make more use of it before my time on this earth expires. Hoping to pick up some stalking tips from the professionals here to aid in my capturing of wildlife in it's natural habitat. Cheers.

Hi all, I'm ex UK forces, navy, engineering background. Although trained (many years ago) on SLR's, SMG's and Browning 9mm pistol, my preferred weapon of choice these days is a camera. Being based in the West of Scotland I enjoy access to some amazing scenery and plan to make more use of it before my time on this earth expires. Hoping to pick up some stalking tips from the professionals here to aid in my capturing of wildlife in it's natural habitat. Cheers.
Hi welcome from the Costa del Kent 😂 what camera/lens combo are you using?

Willowbank. (Imagesofyou69)

Hi welcome from the Costa del Kent 😂 what camera/lens combo are you using?

Willowbank. (Imagesofyou69)
Thank you, I'm using Olympus OMD EM1 Mk 2, with 12-40, 40-150 f2.8 zooms and 300 f4 prime. I chose Olympus as they are significantly lighter than the full frame equivalents, easier on the back and shoulders, water proof too, which is important on the west coast of Scotland!

Welcome Deeps.

A thermal spotter would certainly be useful to help locate the deer.

Then the hard work begins getting into a decent position to get a photo.

Once you have established which routes the deer are taking, you could use that to your advantage by taking the wind conditions into consideration and hiding out at a suitable location. If doing so, then make sure you have adequate midge protection. The wee b…ggers are rife over here in Ayrshire!

Smell and movement are the downfall of many a stalker. Ideally you will approach deer from downwind, obviously taking advantage of any cover available and not be moving at all if the deer are (or is) looking in your direction (taking into account that deer have "prey" type eye locations on their head, so their field of vision is wide. Shuffling along on your stomach might be involved from time to time.

Do feel free to post any nice pics on here, I'm sure there's many that'll love to see them.

Back