Stalking Boots

monarman

Without doubt the lowa hunter evo...... and monarch country supplies are the place to buy them.

Second to the lowa I would go for the meindl glockner.....

I use and have used both boots... the glockner would suit a more rocky hill due to the sole being a tad stiffer ....

Too high a boot restricts calf movement...... which is detrimental on hill ground which is why hill boots are generally shorter and worn with gaiters.

EMcC

Have a look at Alt Berg Defender on E Bay, they are quite strong and come in a choice of widths and pads to customise the inside fit.
I have just bought a pair and am quite pleased with them but I have no intention of climbing mountains in them.
I consider them to be my 'Summer' boots.
I'm not sure you could call them high leg but they certainly give strength to the ankle.

noodly

+1 for lundhags

When I've got access to the sales section I'll be putting a pair of as new size 11s for sale.

jcampbellsmith

+1 for lundhags

When I've got access to the sales section I'll be putting a pair of as new size 11s for sale.
Lundhags - hmmm, I recall standing in the snow with a cold wet right foot as the water flowed into these boots. On closer examination the sole was coming adrift. Regards JCS

bogtrotter

High leg boots have their place,but I would not recommend them for hill stalking, better with a short boot something like a four seasons boot with a ridged sole and a good pair of gaiters.

Just remember to break them in before going to the hill.

lochty

Hanwag special forces boots. As bogtrotter said, not too high, comfortable, dry feet for about £150. Mine are into their fourth season.

NigelM

Meidl. Mine are now 12 years old. Used 30 - 40 days a year and still like carpet slippers and waterproof. Well worth the extra.

deerstalker.308

Meidl. Mine are now 12 years old. Used 30 - 40 days a year and still like carpet slippers and waterproof. Well worth the extra.
Unfortunately I don't think their latest offering would last anything like the older ones.... mine were destroyed within 2 years. I won't buy them again, hence the shift to Lowa now.

NigelM

Unfortunately I don't think their latest offering would last anything like the older ones.... mine were destroyed within 2 years. I won't buy them again, hence the shift to Lowa now.
Hopefully you got a Friday afternoon pair. I will be buying them again.

Dickie

The issue is that not all makes suit all feet so you need to have some sort of list and try before you buy.
Meindl Elbus pro or pro mountain were my favourite because the toe was protected and not beaten up by the heather on the hill but you can't get them anymore.

Just bought another pair of Meindl's - last pair did about 11-12 years and similar number of days per year as NigelM's, if not a bit more. Hopefully the new ones last as well. Fit is important so best try a few pairs on and see what suits your feet.

Toller

As others have said, buy whatever fits.

Also, I found Lundhags totally lacking in ankle support. My dad gave a pair to me because he found they weren't supportive enough either - i ended up giving them back.
To be fair, i think it was a fairly basic model. Some of the pricier offerings might provide more support.

bogtrotter

Correct my grandson gets them supplied through his work(he is a keeper) they are only lasting a year or so, but depends how often you will wear them of course if you are only going to wear them half a dozen times a year then they may last twelve years.

Baldman

Used to use Meindl , last pair did not wear very well at all .Now use Altberg , have several pairs between us in the family , would recommend them .

EMcC

Just noticed today all the Romanians in the local car wash are wearing Altberg Defenders and they take some ill treatment with all the water each day.