Stalking Chef

Maletarms

Hi all, I’ve been a deerstalker for almost 20 years. I enjoy various other shooting sports disciplines too.
I’m a chef and run a country pub, through which I move all the venison I cull, either on the menu or as sausages, burgers etc sold directly into our local community.
I’m fortunate enough to use a custom built rifle in 7mm08 and I use Zeiss optics.
I’m about to start home-loading, principally to mitigate the potential fall out from the move away from lead ammo to non-toxic alternatives. Be prepared for rookie ammo questions! Cheers

Sako6.5x55

Hi, I would be interested to know where your pub/restaurant is, I love my venison but I never had it cooked by someone else. I once asked the waitress in a restaurant what the venison was which was on the menu, the reply from the chef was ‘fresh‘. I chose not to have it and had the steak instead. 6 species of deer, 2 sexes and different seasons all have an effect on the venison your eating and never eat a steak off a rutting stag unless you like the taste of testosterone. Questions on reloading are always welcome, the one piece of advice I would offer is buy a micrometer seater die it cuts out guess work.

aquarius11

Welcome Chef, i am also a chef but the other way round ( first stalk booked) i have been reloading for some time and found this site to be very helpful, just start out slow and steady, read lots, watch lots (youtube) make your own data starting low and work it up but remember your rifle is as individual as you are - dont rely on other people's load data its for their rifle not yours.
Have fun and enjoy.
Oh and welcome from Essex

Last edited:

Foxyboy43

Good man and welcome to the Dark Site Side! As a very good intro you should read the attached:-
it is the second post on this site’s reloading forum and well worth a read.
Good luck!
🦊🦊

Foxyboy43

Thank you Mr Fox!
Always a pleasure my friend. Enjoy your reloading but do please start at the minimum prescribed load and slowly work up to the point that you are happy with the results. Your “journey” is one I started perhaps 40 years ago on a number of rifle and pistol chamberings and after much experimenting I found that my best results were on those loads either at powder loads mid-point or only fractionally above. Deer will not notice a 100/150 fps difference - honest! If you need any specific advice do please pm me as required.
🦊🦊

Maletarms

Hi Rob, I already feel that I know significantly more on the subject than I did yesterday! Do you have any recommendations re bullets? I’m interested in copper.....

Maletarms

Hi, I would be interested to know where your pub/restaurant is, I love my venison but I never had it cooked by someone else. I once asked the waitress in a restaurant what the venison was which was on the menu, the reply from the chef was ‘fresh‘. I chose not to have it and had the steak instead. 6 species of deer, 2 sexes and different seasons all have an effect on the venison your eating and never eat a steak off a rutting stag unless you like the taste of testosterone. Questions on reloading are always welcome, the one piece of advice I would offer is buy a micrometer seater die it cuts out guess work.
Swedish got it in one! Malet Arms, Newton Tony SP4 0HF (near Stonehenge/Salisbury)

cyberstag

No doubt all these chefs have an answer when asked about the provenance of the venison they serve. How do they answer questions like:-

How old was it?
Can you guarantee it hasn't just been feeding on the most heavily sprayed crops in the area?
Has the entire carcass been subject to full meat inspection?
How long did it take to die?
How long before death to evisceration and inspection?

Just playing devils advocate here, it always amuses me that some people think that wild is best.

Coddy

Welcome.

A judge for some of the SD efforts.