"Stalking clothing" outlets having a laugh!?

Buckaroo8

For about 10yrs I've been buying Milsurp moleskin trousers which cost £12 a pair but recently, the shop I was buying them from has stopped selling them. I went online to look for some decent quality trousers, suitable for stalking, the brand I often see other stalkers wearing is Harkila, so I looked them up............
SALE!!!! now on......
only £360.95 for a pair of trousers!
only £541.45 for a jacket!
only £351.49 for a pair of wellies!
only £85.45 for your gloves!
only £80.70 for a cap
So you can get kitted out for as little as just £1420.04 while the sale is on :doh:
I knew they were pricey but that is taking the pish surely?

With you there, then if you want the rest of the gear....& no permission and need to pay for your stalking.!

Aimed at the folk who insist on paying stupid money for scopes they don't need and can't properly use that they then put on stupidly-expensive rifles they don't need and can't properly use ;)

Last edited:
Aimed at the folk who insist on paying stupid money for scopes they don't need and can't properly use that they then put on stupidly-expensive rifles they don't need and can't properly use ;)

Or for people who don't mind paying for quality. Go and make it for less yourself........? They are very good clothes.

Seem to have struck a nerve there :lol:

Anyway, I don't agree. Not saying they're not good quality, but there's gear out there that's probably just as good (if not even better) for a fraction of the price. Don't want to get anyone's panties all knotted up, but just because it has 'Harkila' plastered all over it doesn't necessarily mean it's better. Of course, if all anyone uses it for is trips to the local gunshop it makes sense ;)

I have to say I am in mixed minds in regards to the gear I Need as i purchase my own stuff for work and dont make a hell of a lot of money so I am on a very very tight budget, I look at some of the prices and I honestly can cry when I see th costs of some the items I actually need.

My wife recently bought me a pair of Jack Pyke tundra boots for £80 to do me the season, I love these boots but within a couple of weeks they started letting water and got worse and worse I am now having to buy another pair so that will be £160 just for half a season but then I speak to people who have had 1 pair of Le Chameus for the last couple of seasons and still have dry feet .

on the flip side though,

I bought a pair of Deerhunter trousers at £30 2 seasons ago and it is only starting to show wear and atleast three times a week they are covered in blood muck an wet as well as whatever else I have wiped on them.

So go figure

Budget brands depending on what your buying can be just as good as the big brands but sometimes you just cant beat getting what you pay for.

Frankly though the OP I agree with also as there is no way on one day can I afford t go buy the kit I need just to keep me warm and dry when I am at work until I properly make some decent money,.

I can't help but think that there is some reverse snobbery in some the posts above. With scopes, rifles, clothing I would dare suggest that most of the time one really does get what one pays for.

To generalise that the expensive gear is made for people who only ever visit the gunshops/don't know what they are doing is insulting and a frankly ridiculous comment. I think Mr Artschool sums it up in the best way. Personally, I like to buy once and cry once. I also like to be warm and dry.

I can't help but think that there is some reverse snobbery in some the posts above. With scopes, rifles, clothing I would dare suggest that most of the time one really does get what one pays for.

To generalise that the expensive gear is made for people who only ever visit the gunshops/don't know what they are doing is insulting and a frankly ridiculous comment. I think Mr Artschool sums it up in the best way. Personally, I like to buy once and cry once. I also like to be warm and dry.

quite agree. Terrible thing, envy!

My syndicate had a chap apply to join and he turned up for the initial meeting with boots, socks, trousers, jersey, jacket, braces outside his jersey and cap all made by the bigH and looked like the tags had just been cut off the same day... Anyone else had him apply?

To generalise that the expensive gear is made for people who only ever visit the gunshops/don't know what they are doing is insulting and a frankly ridiculous comment

Oh, don't be so godforsaken literal.........the exceptions prove the rule, for heavens sake. No wonder so few members actually bother to try & engage with people on here :-|

Last edited:
I had to laugh earlier in the season. I was on a reasonably smart pheasant shoot - 100 bird day and all the guns with ties and old tweeds.

But it all the beaters all were dressed in Harkila gear!

Had a feller join our pheasant syndicate, bought tweeds, boots, socks, posh gun, even a 4x4 Mercedes. But he couldn't bring himself to buy any headgear because it would spoil his hair! Until the first time it rained. Then all the gel in his hair ran into his eyes and he couldn't see a thing. Struggled through until the end of the season and hasn't been seen since.

Harkila stuff is expensive. You can get other stuff that does the job quite adequately. But I really don't think at the moment there's anything better. I have one of their Pro Hunter jackets and it has worked for 3 years now, not a drop of rain, no sweaty armpits, pockets, zips, poppers and stitching still sound, scrubs up well, silent in use and fares well against sharp objects.

I really couldn't afford to go all Harkila but to be honest, if I had the dosh, I just might. Then I could happily stay silent and listen to those around me in ex-Azabaijani army surplus jackets and trousers telling everyone what a bargain they got before they go home and have to wring out their underpants. :)

I've got Harkila pro hunter jacket, trousers and boots (not the technical tweed which costs even more) - I don't really care what anyone thinks as I'm always warm and dry. I was swayed by the fact that all the ghillies we went with on the hill were wearing it..... Recommendation enough....

I realise that a quality product can't be cheap to produce, but if you can get a crap pair of trousers in ASDA for £6, surely a decent pair ought to cost about £40-50?
I wasn't knocking the quality of Harkila clothing or those folk who like to wear Harkila, I was more shocked with the price tag on "sale" items! surely it's possible to stay warm and dry for less than £1500?
I was given a Harkila roe sack for Christmas one year and it fell apart within a week! I sent it back and received a replacement quickly which is going ok after about 15 months of use. I think the first one was part of a dodgy batch but it didn't really impress me much at the time.

If I had spent £500 on a jacket and £350 on trousers, they're the last garments I'd wear whilst crawling around in a muddy ditch, getting tangled in barbed wire (which is what I seem to spend a lot of time doing whilst supposedly stalking!)

What other brands do we have to choose from which are decent quality but sensible price tag?

Back