Stalking on 6 acres?

countrryboy

I think you should get some fencing done ASAP to avoid boundary disputes in the future. If a small tree is growing on the boundary, which side of it marks the boundary when it has grown in diameter, for example?

I doubt anyone is really going to moan too much for a few inches or even feet either way
But would be fairly cheap/simple to run a demarkation fence round ur boundry, can be anything from single plain wire even used blue poly prop rope on 1 job and just enough posts to hold it up, mibee cut a ride round the boundry too, infact a ride would probably be all u need esp if wide enough for a quad/compact tractor to extract timber.
U'll need a ride anyway if u intend on putting a real deer fence up in future

Mibee different down south but i know alot of my boundries which are foresrty just says "undefined boundry" so i don't really know exactly where most of my boundries are. And it was bought direct of the main landowner so not divided up by 3rd parties

Tis1979

Now of course once you as the owner enclose that woodland or coppice you can in fact possibly and lawfully shoot the deer with a shotgun using appropriate cartridges as detailed under the statutory defence allowed under s7 of the Deer Act 1991. So no need at all for any stalkers with rifles. You can do it yourself with a s2 12 Bore shot gun and AAA buckshot. Hull Cartridge and Eley sell them. In fact I've a box myself somewhere of the very stuff.

As here:

Deer Act 1991
Deer act or not this is very poor advice.

SDM

May I ask is it a whole woodland that's been sold off in 4/5 acre plots as some of these plots are bought as people use them for personal use ie scattering ashes of loved ones pets etc or just so they can say they own a piece of woodland I may be wrong but I don't think you can just go and do deer control on your piece the reason I ask there is a wood next door to one of my permissions that has been sold in small plots and deer control is not allowed due to the fact of how do you know whom is within the woodland visiting there plots of land.

Erik Hamburger

Hi Alex.
1. It is perfectly feasibly to erect a high seat on a 6-7 Acre plot and safely control deer. The stalker has to have an 'Open' FAC otherwise no Police force will easily 'approve' the land for the given calibre.
2. Saying that, it is almost pointless to 'control' deer on that small plot if there is no wider, area based, deer management activity. Try to find out more from local landowners, local farmers, and owners of other neighbouring small woodland plots. You may be able to find someone with local knowledge and more local permissions who would be happy to visit your plot occasionally. You may have to invest in the high seat - in fact I recommend you retain ownership of that high seat so you can change stalker, if need be.
3. Your offer that someone can shoot on your land will result in many people approaching you - often from other Counties and hours travel away from your site. Some of those offers will be genuine, and may result in a long lasting good relationship, and venison for both parties. Some of those offers will be from 'permission collectors' who will only show up once or twice a year, if that, and will waste your time. My advise - from my own experience- is to limit yourself to LOCAL stalkers (say 20-30 min by car max.) and to get a COMMITMENT from them how often they will visit your plot. To 'control' deer the FEMALES need to be culled, so be wary of Trophy hunters/Antler collectors who will just take a few nice MALE animals which will have little impact on your coppice. For effective population control you should stipulate that say 80% of the stalks take place in the DOE season (Roe and Fallow) which means Winter... and to control Muntjac you are effectively limited to Winters due to vegetation/groundcover making it very hard otherwise.
Best of luck, and enjoy your woodland!

enfieldspares

What ERIK H says is good sense. Very good sense. Also like doctors' appointments people abuse what is free and don't turn up whereas in France you pay. Appointments where the people then don't turn up are unheard of. Which is why I recommended a one year rolling lease. With an agreed cull or performance clause. Or of course if you've enclosed the area the Deer Act permitted use of a s2 shot gun and AAA.

VSS

I doubt anyone is really going to moan too much for a few inches or even feet either way
Don't you believe it, mate!
I know a couple of examples where neighbours have fallen out big time over the width of a tree trunk! (e.g., the tree is growing on the line of the boundary. Which side of it should the fence go?)

Tis1979

Maybe it is poor advice. I suspect it was a "tongue in cheek" type response. However, Enfieldspares is correct in his statement of the law.
Yes your probably right, unfortunately someone with no experience like the op for instance may think it an option worth a go.

countrryboy

You have got to be joking, ask any lawyer.
Don't you believe it, mate!
I know a couple of examples where neighbours have fallen out big time over the width of a tree trunk! (e.g., the tree is growing on the line of the boundary. Which side of it should the fence go?)

I can see it with agri land or when buying a house but not so much with forestry esp when pretty much un commercial forestry.

Like i said most of the boundries round my place are described on title deeds as " undefined" atleast all of the forestry boundries, yet where my boundries marches other houses everything had to be smack on with maps being double checked wether corners should be straight lined or curved etc all for a few feet of ground.
Which i can understand when u own smaller parcels of land and u have definitive waypoints to measure off (corners of house etc)
Sort of hard to do that in woodland in the past before GPS was invented and really a few feet or even meters either way won't ,ske any difference.
My bottom march i really have no idea where it runs, line could be anywhere with 20+m or so and it curves, but all pretty worthless woodland anyway so makes little difference really to me or neighbour

oowee

I had exactly the same issue here on a smaller piece of land. The young trees were a magnet, like using bait for foxes. Every time my back was turned night or day they were in especially in the night. Fortunately it was smaller so I was able to fence it.

Cyres

There been a lot said on this. I suggest you make contact with a local stalker who can put the time in to help your cull and may if they are a true country person assist with your rejuvenation project. High seats may be needed portable at first then when you/they have built up knowledge more permanent structures could be positioned. I have friends with similar issues, and we are slowly getting on with the hazel coppicing. Unfortunately the owners wife is negative re deer shooting. In this case I cover all the stools with a huge pile of brash and this does give a degree of protection to the new shoots. Fortunately the roe density is not great but recently munties have taken up residence. To add problems there are transient reds which cause a great deal of damage.In the ideal world it will need to be fully deer fenced to exclude deer. I would of thought the woodland trust would be a good source of advice.

I would be pretty sure there are some SD members that will be local to you and assist. It might come down to who you can get on with the best.

D

Camelfarm

I don't know the total size exactly but I'd be surprised if it's any less than 100 acres. That's a good point about having limited success if only controlling the deer passing through my plot. A joint management plan would be great but may not be possible because some other owners of nearby plots are very fond of the deer and don't like the idea of shooting them. Also, some of the plots haven't been sold to private owners yet, they're held by an investment company who I assume wouldn't allow stalking other patch.

I've looked into temporary fencing which I'm leaning towards as a short-term measure. My hesitation is I have a badger set within the area to be fenced, I don't want to disturb them if I can avoid it. I also have a foxes as well as other wildlife passing through which I want to keep promoting.

I've not got round to checking every deer on my camera but definitely roe and muntjac seen so far.
I use freemaptools: Area Calculator Using Maps to calculate areas for my work - it's accurate enough for general use.

countrryboy

I had exactly the same issue here on a smaller piece of land. The young trees were a magnet, like using bait for foxes. Every time my back was turned night or day they were in especially in the night. Fortunately it was smaller so I was able to fence it.

Depending on exactly how many deer u have in the wood. So this is probably a few years down the line
But in the past before forestry stalking become purely a numbers game (once u have deer denisty/numbers down to a level ur happy with) if old skool stalkers had vulnerable areas/crops they would try to leave the bigger deer on it as they would keep the smaller/younger deer off, usually older stronger deer wil hold largr territories so less deer on ur vulnerable ground and cause less fraying damage to trees also.
Was called the 'stand buck' but would work with does too
Don't think many folk really use it nowadays

imnotrucknut

Good Evening All,

I'm not a stalker but I've recently purchased woodland in North Hampshire and I have a deer problem! I want to restore some ash and hazel coppice but deer will likely destroy the regrowth unless their numbers can be controlled first. I've considered fencing but the cost is prohibitive at this stage.

I only own a small section (6 acres) of a much larger block of woodland. There is a green lane along the South boundary. I doubt I could get permission for the surrounding woodland to be stalked on but there is an animal track frequently travelled by deer cutting my plot in half from East to West. With a trail-cam, I recently captured ~20 separate videos of deer travelling along this path over 2 days and nights. Theoretically, if a platform were constructed nearby this track the rifle round would hit the ground rather than continuing to public land / green lane if a shot were missed.

I'm wondering, would it be possible to make use of such a small plot when shooting deer? I appreciate that most stalks take place over much larger areas. If it were possible, I'd happily give free access to the woodland for stalking in exchange for the occasional carcass.

Many thanks for any info.
Myself and a friend manage a deer park near Hartley Whitney once a month at mo to reduce numbers.if you're not too far away we could come and have a look for you.we normally stay in the area for a couple of days
Pm me you're number if interested
Regards Gary

Sonicdmb73

OK thanks. A high seat could be located as you say. How do I go about ensuring someone has the correct credentials? I assume it can all be shown with correct paperwork? Does the insurance requirement lie solely with the shooter alone or is it recommended I put my own public liability cover in place too?
The FAC will have the condition over land the holder has lawful authority. If it also says approved by the chief officer of the area. Then it isn’t an “open” certificate.
DSC1 and game meat hygiene etc they will have certificates.
Insurance is their responsibility for their part ie the shooting bit.
However you would be well advised to have public liability insurance yourself. Just in case someone injured themselves even if trespassing.

Sonicdmb73

I can see it with agri land or when buying a house but not so much with forestry esp when pretty much un commercial forestry.

Like i said most of the boundries round my place are described on title deeds as " undefined" atleast all of the forestry boundries, yet where my boundries marches other houses everything had to be smack on with maps being double checked wether corners should be straight lined or curved etc all for a few feet of ground.
Which i can understand when u own smaller parcels of land and u have definitive waypoints to measure off (corners of house etc)
Sort of hard to do that in woodland in the past before GPS was invented and really a few feet or even meters either way won't ,ske any difference.
My bottom march i really have no idea where it runs, line could be anywhere with 20+m or so and it curves, but all pretty worthless woodland anyway so makes little difference really to me or neighbour
The joke with the supposed accuracy is the line drawn to show the boundaries. Scale up to a few feet wide when you try enlarge the map to get a better idea.

Silvius

You can achieve quite a lot on a small plot as others have said. For two years I shot over a dozen deer a year on two 5 acre plots. This year I will not achieve this as I appear to have made a difference both to seen numbers and seen damage.

It takes dedication that would be hard to achieve with a non local and what counts is killing does. All bucks are a bonus that can be enjoyed but the real work is does and that is cold work in a high seat in winter for the Roe.

If it is one of the woodlands.co.uk or similar woods, you may well get neighbours coming in with you offering their woods too when they hear of your venison. The fact that your land is a small plot does not stop your stalker making a difference overall. The local deer will all pass through sometime. Try and get him permission from neighbours to recover any shot deer that run and die off your plot.

The ideal candidate is hard to find -you want him not to have too much stalking ground or he will be off to greener pastures more than you would wish but you also want him to be reasonably experienced. Experienced people generally collect permissions. Someone locally well regarded getting into stalking could be the best bet if you can nudge him the right way from time to time.

Knowledge is ideal but good character is more important than knowledge. A man of good character will put in the time to get the knowledge, won't take rash shots and will not mess you about. Its only a small plot so there will be limited tricks to hunting it and he will work it out sooner or later even if he starts from knowing little. If he is locally well regarded he is unlikely to want to blot his copybook by doing things you don't want him to do. A written agreement could be a handy thing to start out on the right foot. Its only a small plot and if your guy is turning up often and you get on, don't put another stalker in there. Your relationship with your guy is worth something. Turning out before breakfast a couple of times a month to sit in a high seat is not a small commitment over the years. There are many who will try it for a few weeks but to faithfully turn out over the years is another thing.

I have formed good friendships with the guys who own those two 5 acre plots and it has led to bigger things. I hope you can achieve something similar with someone local to you.

Buckaroo8

If it is one of the woodlands.co.uk or similar woods, you may well get neighbours coming in with you offering their woods too when they hear of your venison.
If it is one of those “Woods4U” type deals then it is probable that other plots will be bought up by all manner of folks with differing opinions on killing deer. There is usually a covenant in place to stop you doing anything that offends the neighbours so if any get wind of the fact that someone is killing Bambi with a “high powered rifle” (with “sniper scope”) less than 90 metres from their boundary, could they potentially get it stopped?

The Singing Stalker

If it is one of those “Woods4U” type deals then it is probable that other plots will be bought up by all manner of folks with differing opinions on killing deer. There is usually a covenant in place to stop you doing anything that offends the neighbours so if any get wind of the fact that someone is killing Bambi with a “high powered rifle” (with “sniper scope”) less than 90 metres from their boundary, could they potentially get it stopped?
That's a very interesting point. I am familiar with the wood and there is a covenant (I believe) which limits you to using air rifle only. So, 50 cal. Fac rated air rifle anyone? :)