Stalking rent

How much meat do you need for personal consumption? Anything above and beyond this is probably rightly considered commercial. Keep what you want. Sell the rest and give them the monthly cheque.

As an amateur stalker I believe I offer a service to the landowner therefore I will not pay for it. However I do make sure relationship-building is done properly with regular visits, a Xmas card + bottle, stay in touch, letters/emails/texts/newsletter, and offer the farmer/landowner a share of the venison on a regular basis. In most cases the relationship quickly turns into friendship and trust.
I have some 1,500 Acres of Cotswolds land to stalk over, including some prime woodland, and have never paid a penny, and keep some 80% of the venison. Admittingly several of my landowners don't have a serious deer problem and I take very few animals on some of the farms - maybe 2-3p.a. on a typical 300 Acres farm.
However I do make it very clear to my landowners that my activities are 100% non-commercial so I will never sell any venison or take paying guests, as that would be a game-changer.
I resent the SD posts where people appear to accept that they pay for access to land where they shoot a limited number of deer - however if in your case you can't get free stalking than you'll have to be pragmetic - but this could potentially lead to a situation where you put yourself under pressure to shoot more and more to get 'value for money' - is that in the landowners' or the herd's interest?

The situation for profs is of course entirely different- and the relationship should be based on sound contracts and business agreements.

Good post and one I wholeheartedly agree with.

^^^ +1

Provide a service. I have more blank visits than successful ones. Maintain deer pops at a level where forest regen can occur. I prepare and give the owner most of the venison.

Key is to be open and honest with the landowner.

Back