Stalking vehicles….

Sandy25

I’m sure this has probably been asked many times before, but I was wondering what vehicles people would recommend for stalking and shooting?

I have been driving for just over a year, and am fed up with grounding out my VW Polo on farm tracks when I’m out and about, so am looking at something with higher ground clearance and permanent/ changeable 4 X 4. I’m trying to keep the engine size below 2.0 litres, just to stop the insurance being too expensive!

I’m currently thinking about a Freelander 2 or a Mitsubishi Outlander, as the fuel economy isn’t too bad on both of them.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

Many thanks in advance…..

I love my 2008 xtrail. It’s enough 4x4 without being a full blooded truck and gets me most places I want to go with just some decent tyres fitted (Yokohama geolander). It has a big flat load area, useful little drawer system underneath, is decent on fuel, comfortable and cheap to maintain (unlike a freelander). It cost me £1800 plus the tyres

I love my 2008 xtrail. It’s enough 4x4 without being a full blooded truck and gets me most places I want to go with just some decent tyres fitted (Yokohama geolander). It has a big flat load area, useful little drawer system underneath, is decent on fuel, comfortable and cheap to maintain (unlike a freelander). It cost me £1800 plus the tyres
How do you find getting spare parts for it?

Does the age of it make much difference?

Every manufacturer these days has at least one SUV in its lineup and has done for a good few years now and most of ‘em have an all wheel drive version. So the choice is very wide. Look for review videos on YouTube for cars you might think are suitable. If you don’t need 4x4, if your Polo coped in that dept, you can likely save a few quid and still have the ground clearance. And there’s small, medium and big ones.

Hilux.

Those Jimnys are utter rot boxes.
The chassis rot through at less than 3 yrs old.

Shame really cause they could be a great motor but they just need fortunes spent to make them robust.

I think the perfect stalking vehicle would be the old Daihatsu Fourtrack. I have had a couple in the past, and they were the most capable small 4×4 vehicles I've ever driven. And fantastic for towing with, too.

I have my eye on one. Very low mileage. One owner from new. Never failed an MOT. Nice huntsman green colour. The old boy who owns it can't possibly keep on driving much longer, he must be nudging 90.
One day, one day.....

I think the perfect stalking vehicle would be the old Daihatsu Fourtrack. I have had a couple in the past, and they were the most capable small 4×4 vehicles I've ever driven. And fantastic for towing with, too.

I have my eye on one. Very low mileage. One owner from new. Never failed an MOT. Nice huntsman green colour. The old boy who owns it can't possibly keep on driving much longer, he must be nudging 90.
One day, one day.....
Rodders........

Hilux.

Shame really cause they could be a great motor but they just need fortunes spent to make them robust.
How very dare you sir!
IMG_1359.jpeg
My little darling was 19 in January, has 126,000 miles on her of which I have put 86,000 in my ongoing 12 years love affair and is running like a sewing machine. To date apart from routine tyres/exhaust bits she has cost me precisely one alternator and a bottom pulley - both after the 100k mark.
An annual waxoil or liberal coating of old oil underneath prevents any corrosion problems - unlike some much larger real rustbuckets which I note have developed a mildly endearing penchant for snapping in half!
🦊🦊
Now keep it to yourself but I have just bought a second one…..

Hilux.

I was advised by the company in the UK that do the flat bed conversions that the closed Jimney from Japan was the rotbox and the convertible made in Spain by Santana had a much better corrosion resistance.

One day, one day.....
Brilliant if you can find one fresh enough but they haven't made them for a good few years now. Gear boxes tend to pack up about the 80k miles mark

Ok, so I'm guessing that this is from a TV programme that I am expected to be familiar with?

(But never having had a TV, I'm not).
The program was ‘ only fools and horses’, a very good and funny series. 👍

Back