Stalking with open sights

carlisleredneck

I've just been reading through a few threads on here regarding knocking scopes in the field and checking zero when this happens, also about the use of open sights being inhumane.

I have a cz550 stutzen in .308, it has a meopta 6x42 scope on top with Apel quick release mounts. I keep meaning to set the open sights so if I ever knock the scope while out I can simply remove the scope and use the open sights over sensible ranges ( say around 50m or so).

So I was wondering what peoples opinions are on this, if anybody else has a similar set up and has had to remove the scope to use the open sights, or stalks with open sights on a regular basis.

Cheers :thumb:

roedeerred

Back in the day we learned to use open sights.
But times moved on as have optics so why use open sights then again at short range nothing wrong with them they can be usefull for follow shots also.

sharkey

I like to hunt when its windy & raining as the deer are more predictable (tight, quiet gullies, etc). A scope that constantly needs wiping or defogging if you happen to breath on it is next to useless for this. I prefer open sights as well as a scope on deer hunting rifles. This generally means I have to get them fitted these days as few factories fit them & if they do they usually aren't that good. I use QR mounts on my winchesters & mauser's, & just use the standard rings on rugers which I mark/scratch so I can remove & replace in the field using a coin as the screwdriver. I get less than an inch of movement on target at 100m when doing this with my rugers.

Sharkey

deeangeo

Although I haven't used the open sights on my rifle in a good while, they are zeroed at 100yds with my current load. So, in an emergency useable. QR mounts I have will let me off the hook immediately. ATB

takbok

I used a military surplus .308 Mauser 98 (Czech Mauser rebarrelled in Israel, I think) in with open sights to shoot my first deer - a fallow buck - at about 70m. I could get 3 shots in under 3" at 100m. The rifle's sights haven't ever been adjusted since my dad bought it 30 years ago!

Glyn 1

I shot a few deer with open sights on my old Westley Richards .275. Obviously you have to keep the range fairly short and practice a lot but its doable. You have to be very careful in changing light conditions as its east to take more or less foresight causing a dramatic change in POI.

norma 308

Still waiting for the right moment to swing the scope off my 270 for a shot with Williams opens on my L61R
norma

Gaothead

You can get see-though mounts as well so not even have to take your scope off, but of course that means mounting your scope higher which is a whole other discussion. Open sights being closer to the barrel are less off zero for very close shots and no close focus problems.

rabbitter

I have been playing with the idea of ordering a Sako 85 Wood/Blued in .308 as a light woodland stalker. Thing is I either need to wait for six months for an open sights model or retro fit some to a naked rifle. Has anyone done this and what did you use?

I could put an Aimpoint on I suppose, but I really fancy open sights.

Woodsmoke

My honest opinion on this is that the majority of guys on this forum wouldn't have the faintest clue how to use open sights in the first place, let alone be effective with them. The practical answer to the OPs question is pay attention to your rifle in the field & don't treat it like an anvil. Don't put it down on rocks/mud/soaking-wet grass/gravel roads etc, make sure the sling is in good order (I've even heard of some muppet not checking and having his sling swivels drop out of the stock), don't drop the bloody thing, and bear in mind most of you (if popular opinion is to be believed) are carrying in excess of a few thousand pounds worth of Blaser and Schmidt and Bender, so they're worth looking after................ne c'est pas? ;)

simonl

My honest opinion on this is that the majority of guys on this forum wouldn't have the faintest clue how to use open sights in the first place, let alone be effective with them. The practical answer to the OPs question is pay attention to your rifle in the field & don't treat it like an anvil. Don't put it down on rocks/mud/soaking-wet grass/gravel roads etc, make sure the sling is in good order (I've even heard of some muppet not checking and having his sling swivels drop out of the stock), don't drop the bloody thing, and bear in mind most of you (if popular opinion is to be believed) are carrying in excess of a few thousand pounds worth of Blaser and Schmidt and Bender, so they're worth looking after................ne c'est pas? ;)
Ce n'est pas, in my opinion. Saying 'don't drop your rifle' is akin to saying don't crash your car, or burn your house down.

Outback

If I had a rifle that had open sights I wouldn't have a hesitation to use it , there are many target shooters that use them to better effect than scope rifle shooters , after all it is a skill and the more you practice blar blar as well as stalking skill .
The scope I believe give's you a confidence where you point it is were it hits so perhaps you don't have to be so aware of how close you need to be for a clean kill .
I was very handy as a much younger fella with a open sight 22 and air rifle , the first scope I used the recticle moved when you zeroed it and I thought it was bloody terrible to use .

norma 308

Woodsmoke
im sure you know your stuff but personally after a week in the borders ( not my only stalking ) I wouldn't have got my rifle out the slip at all let alone taken hinds off the hill without a little muck and grime occurring on a daily basis !whilst every endeavour is to look after and check and double check in the course of duty even the smartest set up gets rained on snowed on and the odd knock and bloody hand print as for open sights a lot of guys cut thier teeth using opens on air rifles Ect and only hark back to the bygon days to make them feel young again I don't think any would be stalkers would consider opens as a starting set up that you can be certain of .
regards
norma

Woodsmoke

norma 308;923212little muck and grime occurring on a daily basis[/QUOTE said:
Aye, it's common sense though, isn't it? Some people seem to think any piece of kit is open to taking as much abuse or neglect as they can throw at it, then wonder why it doesn't perform when they need it to

chunky sailor

I HAVE A COMBI .243/12 with open sights and its the open sights i like about it.they are good certainly at ranges you would expect to use it at ie normally up to a hundred yards i suppose but normally much closer,farthest iv shot a roe is 83yds closest around 30 to 40 all shot in the correct place and dropped on the spot.On my gun you need the front blade in the bottom of the rear v sight to shoot higher the blade needs to be higher in the v although its doubtfull id use it over the hundred to hundred and twenty yard mark as i take it rough shooting for the chance of opportunist deer or walking in woodland where a quick close shot may be needed if im going specifically for deer i take a suitable rifle with scope .atb Dave

kimh

I have two open sighted Ruger Stutzens, a 243 and a 30-06 and a sight is a sight, shoot on a target to know your limitations. I use the 243 as a woodland walk up rifle where in curtain light conditions the acquisition of the target is difficult with a scope and the open sights are quicker on re-acquisition, a nice mooching pair of munty's was a memorable bit of shooting with the 243. The 30-06 is my Boar rifle set up for Europe and copper, so a running pig again is fantastic sport.
You crack on chap...

RPA.260

All my stalking rifles have Z6i's on the and yes they are fantastic. But nothing beats getting out on a nice day with the .303 shooting over open sights, shoot it most Sunday's at the range with 150g SP and shoot 2" groups at 100m. If you pick your times and shots there is no reason what so ever why you can't shoot with open sights. I have had many prickets early on in the season.

rick6point5

Was out on weekend with an unmoderated unscoped Finnbear 270, it was light, easy to the shoulder & quick handling (compared to the normal weight I carry about) and just what the dense woodland conditions required, 2 shot both under 70yds, I for one will be using open sights more often as it felt so much more natural.