Start of the Fallow bucks

scotch_egg

I can't wait until morning. How am I the only person On SD to be looking forward to the beginning of the fallow bucks.

I get the impression fallow are not afforded the same respect as our other native deer species

Last edited:

sauer

Would love too! None up here
I've eaten it once and was fine!
Wouldn't mind again just to compare with roe ......for research purposes of course ...

Paul

sauer

Keep us posted how you get on
...07:03 here and 36c already no greenery anywhere, sand sand & rubbish ....I can't wait to get home Wednesday.

Paul

polranny

Feels like about 36F here.
I can hear a buzzard just behind the tree line, and a few wood pigeon are moving, but no bucks or prickets yet.

Taff

Loved the beginning of the proper deer season, can still here the tills ringing, Bucks as fat as lard.

AndrewT059

I will be out this evening, have seen a few prickets about, i think we have some heavy rain forcasted aswell to go with it,

The fourth Horseman

Had a look round last night,one or two prickets about. Saw two groups of does, four in each, but only one fawn with each group. As most of the local worthies shoot big bucks for the pennies it makes me wonder. I know small bucks and prickets will serve does but something is out of balance, never saw much above a sorrel last season. Will have a look this evening as we are getting short on fallow venison.

stalkerboydy

. As most of the local worthies shoot big bucks for the pennies it makes me wonder. .
You're Not wrong IMHO Fallow seem to be the most miss managed Deer we have.

Personally I'm not a lover of sitting in high seats as I personally feel you don't earn your Deer. Having said that 4.15am this morning I sat in a high seat more to welcome the new season in and to prune any rubbish constricting a shot.
4.25am I heard and thought Mr Badger was making its way through the Oat's how wrong was I hardly daring to breath I watched a White Fallow Pricket followed by a normal coloured Fallow Pricket walk within inches of my seat following the edge of the Oat's.
Slowly turning my scope down I centred the cross hairs on the White Pricket's Atlas joint which was probably 25yrd away a Barnes LRX 127gr made short work of the Pricket the other startled Pricket ran across the corner of the field and stopped looking my way at a Long Range of 60yrd. Through my scope I saw the effects of a Barnes LRX smashing into the Pricket Adams Apple.
After checking Both Deer I trimmed any obstructing rubbish loaded the Deer and was on my way by 4.45am looking to see if any more Deer was showing in total I saw 40+ Fallow all Doe's with young

Tim.243

You're Not wrong IMHO Fallow seem to be the most miss managed Deer we have.

Personally I'm not a lover of sitting in high seats as I personally feel you don't earn your Deer. Having said that 4.15am this morning I sat in a high seat more to welcome the new season in and to prune any rubbish constricting a shot.
4.25am I heard and thought Mr Badger was making its way through the Oat's how wrong was I hardly daring to breath I watched a White Fallow Pricket followed by a normal coloured Fallow Pricket walk within inches of my seat following the edge of the Oat's.
Slowly turning my scope down I centred the cross hairs on the White Pricket's Atlas joint which was probably 25yrd away a Barnes LRX 127gr made short work of the Pricket the other startled Pricket ran across the corner of the field and stopped looking my way at a Long Range of 60yrd. Through my scope I saw the effects of a Barnes LRX smashing into the Pricket Adams Apple.
After checking Both Deer I trimmed any obstructing rubbish loaded the Deer and was on my way by 4.45am looking to see if any more Deer was showing in total I saw 40+ Fallow all Doe's with young

Nice little read,

just waiting for the Deer Gods to turn up and slate the shots....

In the closed season there were 4 fallow turning up according to the farmer......best guess they wont show lol

Tim.243

Ben1987

Account Suspended
It's not stopped raining here all afternoon so I went for a run rather than get my guns drenched! They'll still be there tomorrow night.

polranny

I had no joy this morning and went out again this evening. Lots of does and fawns about but no bucks. Never mind it's still great to be out and there's always tomorrow.

AlexN

Went out last night and sat up a high seat for what seemed like hours, think the wind was all over the place in the little area I was sitting in. Saw a pricket which I think got my scent as it tuned to go back into the woods, it hung around just long enough for me to turn the power down on my scope, shoulder the rifle and whack it in the neck which it didn't like particularly much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scotch_egg

I collect my barrels from Steve kershaw tomorrow afternoon. Zero up the .308 and will be out Monday. Looks like there have been some productive outings.