Staying away when stalking/hunting.

CDSG Shooting Sports

IanLuc

Just wondering what people expect when going on a Stalking/Hunting trip for a few days or more I mean with accommodation rather than the stalking only reason I ask is My mate and I have been to a cracking place in Scotland for a few years now and there is a rough old bothy that we have stayed and I mean rough but you are on the ground that you are stalking on and just as likely to see a deer from the back door. My gripe is my mate no longer wants to rough it and wants to pay for a B&B or similar, but I have said that if I am going to pay for accommodation I would rather go away with my wife and son.
Its a bit of a stand off really he wont rough it and I wont pay for a bed when there is one on site all included in the price of the stalking. How many are like me and enjoy the roughing side of hunting away from home.

ziggy

for the few hours your going to be asleep it doesn't matter..........however its nice to have a proper bog and loo roll

Si

for the few hours your going to be asleep it doesn't matter..........however its nice to have a proper bog and loo roll

I agree with the loo roll bit... but you can't beat a good wilderpoo, just remember to cover it with pine needles when you're done ;)

John Gryphon

I/ most of us sleep in a swag wherever we are hunting.I like to do that and have a laugh at some in Vic that 'motel' it then daily drive to the hunt area. Its good to walk onto deer from camp silently and not alert them that you have arrived in your wheels..I`m with you IanLuc.

Let you mate stay in accom and when he arrives have a deer on the ground waiting ha ha.

basil

Distinguished Member
There always comes a time when the body can`t take `roughing it` like it used too and the need for home comforts creep in...
Maybe your mate has reached that time.

mereside

well i love getting away i am just heading off to a new ground but this is my accomadation normally.

and when i feel like going upper class

it has all the mod cons of gass light and cooking facility on an old skillet and proper bunk beds :D :rofl: just watch out for possums in the night :scared:

basil

Distinguished Member
well i love getting away i am just heading off to a new ground but this is my accomadation normally.

it has all the mod cons of gass light and cooking facility on an old skillet and proper bunk beds :D :rofl: just watch out for possums in the night :scared:
Who do you rent it off Wayne ..... Grizzly Adams?? :rofl:

Yorkie

Will your Land owner allow you to put a Caravan on? That could possibly be a compromise solution?

Yorkie.

tackb

Tell your mate he can stay where he likes but your happy as you are , your both grown ups and can do as you please?

mereside

ha ha no bud its a free hut to get you out hunting it has hundreds of names from all over the world who have slept there i think the earliest dates back to the 1940's but the hut that fell down next to it has even earlier dates.
like martin said all part of it,atb wayne

rick6point5

With a bit of work and prep, you could improve on the 'roughness' and maybe he will stick with it, i'm with johngryphon & mereside best to be on the ground has lots of advantages

stalkinginengland

I like the tent and Hammock, where did you get it! as for the crib it looks a **** hole I would much rather sleep under the stars in your hammock, but without you in it of course. Now I know what you prefer theres no need to stay in the hotel when you come over to France, We can leave you out side suspended between 2 trees with your canp stove for company:rofl:

I. Farticus

I either kip in the Jeep if it's ****ing down or freezing cold, or get the bivvy bag out and kip next to the wagon. All part of the "experience", and means that I can kip where I want, and be up and out when ready, but if the bones are letting the cold in, then you have to let him find his own comfort zone.

Snapping awake in a high seat when you've have f*ck all sleep is one of the best bits for me :thumb:

IanLuc

Thanks guys, I guess we are all different, need different things but I just needed some back up to make sure I am not the strange one ( not saying that my mate is the strange one either!) But the thing is I really want to get away to Scotland again this year and being a tight arse an all ... well you know the rest!!

Wingy

I've put some plastic sheeting in between 6 trees, roofed it and that does the trick. It's dry. I've added LED strip lights 12v and take my gas fridge & cooker. Proper Ray Mears but with comfort

IanLuc

Well that's the kind of thing but with more mice than possoms!

ems bach

Put an hour or two of work in every time you are up there and you will soon have it as good as a b&b. We rough it in a caravan and improving it every time we are up there.

PSE Composites Limited