Steiner ranger - ballistic caps advice

Hell Toupee

I have a steiner ranger 4-16x56 which I quite like. They have now released an equivalent scope with ballistic caps, and these caps are available to purchase separately, which I am considering.

They caps come with several options to allow for different calibres, and hence I assume, different levels of bullet drop.
The question(s) I have are:
Using a ballistics calculator, with my calibre, it suggests at 250m with a 100m zero the drop will be approximately 25cm, 1mrad or 10 clicks (if the turret has 1cm/100m adjustments).
If I put these numbers back into the calculator - i.e.a 250m zero then the bullet will be 10cm high at 100m, making sense as to why 10 clicks.
So, whats the need for the different turrets? Don't you just need to know how far away you are, how much your round will drop, and then adjust accordingly?
The only thing I can think of is if the caps have a metre scale - i.e you are 250m away, twist until its on 250m, and in theory you are on target?

All I really want is to be able to range something, and dial in the number of clicks, so that I am broadly on target - which seems to be more complicated that first appears?
Before I get slated, no I am not going to start hammering away at muntjac from a kilometre, but having seen several people estimate the drop incorrectly and shoot an animals legs off or take out the backstrap, I just don't want to be in this situation.

Many thanks,

HT

Highlandsjohn

I have a steiner ranger 4-16x56 which I quite like. They have now released an equivalent scope with ballistic caps, and these caps are available to purchase separately, which I am considering.

They caps come with several options to allow for different calibres, and hence I assume, different levels of bullet drop.
The question(s) I have are:
Using a ballistics calculator, with my calibre, it suggests at 250m with a 100m zero the drop will be approximately 25cm, 1mrad or 10 clicks (if the turret has 1cm/100m adjustments).
If I put these numbers back into the calculator - i.e.a 250m zero then the bullet will be 10cm high at 100m, making sense as to why 10 clicks.
So, whats the need for the different turrets? Don't you just need to know how far away you are, how much your round will drop, and then adjust accordingly?
The only thing I can think of is if the caps have a metre scale - i.e you are 250m away, twist until its on 250m, and in theory you are on target?

All I really want is to be able to range something, and dial in the number of clicks, so that I am broadly on target - which seems to be more complicated that first appears?
Before I get slated, no I am not going to start hammering away at muntjac from a kilometre, but having seen several people estimate the drop incorrectly and shoot an animals legs off or take out the backstrap, I just don't want to be in this situation.

Many thanks,

HT

Sorry I cant answer regards the turrets but if its at the range you speak, and you did mention deer. With a hunting rifle, loaded to kill deer, you would just have to set it 1.5 to 2.00" high at a hundred yds. This is then good to shoot it up to 250yds with no piddling about with scopes or turrets,no back straps,no legs will be hit if you do your stuff.

However MJ are quite a small deer and if you are shooting them from Scotland you will have to be much further than a kilometer i fear :D.

On longer range targets, the turrets will certainly come into play. john

Gm81

I looked at getting these. However the local shop gave me a price then got a ballistic ranger in.
They then told be next visit that they didn't want to sell them.
reset to zero is held by a oring they said. Same as a standard scope.
They thought it was rubbish obviously if it moved you lost zero.

tarponhead

I wonder if they are more precise than the standard turrets which are quite "mushy" and easy to miss a click or two. Great glass though.

Gm81

I wonder if they are more precise than the standard turrets which are quite "mushy" and easy to miss a click or two. Great glass though.

in the daylight at target days I will adjust them no problem. But I wouldn't in a pressure situation. To easy to get lost. When I emailed steiner. It was a straight swap on the turrets.
Around £110 ish. So I guess the click is inside not the cap. More of an add on solution.
They should do it properly, like you say it's a good piece of glass