Steyr mannlicher shoenauer

jack243win

Hi all,

Is there any mannlicher shoenauer owners on this forum?

I would like to hear some honest reviews on the old beauties, as I have just placed a deposit on a MCA stutzen in .243. It will be my Sunday stalker boomstick that I will mostly likely miss many a deer due to looking at the rifle in awe.

Pictures and stories on these rifles would be appreciated!

Regards
J

Apthorpe

Yes, there are several owners of these here. Mine is a 6.5x54 model 1903 marked Steyr 1906. It's been very well used, extremely soft shooting and gets the occasionally outing with open sights.

jack243win

Yes, there are several owners of these here. Mine is a 6.5x54 model 1903 marked Steyr 1906. It's been very well used, extremely soft shooting and gets the occasionally outing with open sights.
How do you find it to handle? The only Steyr I currently own is the pro hunter in stainless for night and poor weather shooting only. It shoots fantastic and handles great too.

Sika98k

Hunting moose in Norway some 12-15 years ago I was in awe of my Norwegian friends rifles. Schonauers, double rifles in exotic calibers and a Cogswell&Harrison in 375. My rather tacky old Mauser didn’t really make the grade.
Fast forward a couple of years and I’m disconsolately stepping off a plane in Aalborg Denmark for a weekends bird shooting with a Danish friend whom I helped some years previously setting up a small pheasant shoot. My 16 Bonehill had not turned up in Copenhagen and I was discombobulated to say the least.
I turned my phone on and took a call from baggage handling who cheerily informed me my gun was on its way back home to Dublin. Brilliant!
Mr. T met me outside arrivals with his usual form of greeting, a can of Tuborg Grøn and a packet of Caminante. We called into a gun shop in town to buy some ammunition and there it was !
A Mannlicher Schonauer with a Docter Optic 6x42 with einhak mounts rebarreled in 308. I had seen one in Norway but in 30-06 and figured that the long case in a short, 19”barrel would create a lot of muzzle blast. It does, I’ve since seen it.
However a deal was struck less the scope. The einhak mounts fitted are worth a small fortune. Anyhow……. I got it licenced and imported to Ireland on a later trip and happy days. A great light carry rifle, accurate too. It’s been a few places with me since.

Attachments

• 6253AB09-B5BD-490B-A685-F90F08F7C957.jpeg
    6253AB09-B5BD-490B-A685-F90F08F7C957.jpeg
    290.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 9A41AABC-BAA5-42D0-9F59-80CFC787AAFB.jpeg
    9A41AABC-BAA5-42D0-9F59-80CFC787AAFB.jpeg
    377.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 2D0BFFF5-6A2B-4AC0-9B55-FFFA4B8599F1.jpeg
    2D0BFFF5-6A2B-4AC0-9B55-FFFA4B8599F1.jpeg
    483.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 9583C026-FDD0-473B-8164-F7A752BF3836.jpeg
    9583C026-FDD0-473B-8164-F7A752BF3836.jpeg
    315.6 KB · Views: 23

jack243win

Hunting moose in Norway some 12-15 years ago I was in awe of my Norwegian friends rifles. Schonauers, double rifles in exotic calibers and a Cogswell&Harrison in 375. My rather tacky old Mauser didn’t really make the grade.
Fast forward a couple of years and I’m disconsolately stepping off a plane in Aalborg Denmark for a weekends bird shooting with a Danish friend whom I helped some years previously setting up a small pheasant shoot. My 16 Bonehill had not turned up in Copenhagen and I was discombobulated to say the least.
I turned my phone on and took a call from baggage handling who cheerily informed me my gun was on its way back home to Dublin. Brilliant!
Mr. T met me outside arrivals with his usual form of greeting, a can of Tuborg Grøn and a packet of Caminante. We called into a gun shop in town to buy some ammunition and there it was !
A Mannlicher Schonauer with a Docter Optic 6x42 with einhak mounts rebarreled in 308. I had seen one in Norway but in 30-06 and figured that the long case in a short, 19”barrel would create a lot of muzzle blast. It does, I’ve since seen it.
However a deal was struck less the scope. The einhak mounts fitted are worth a small fortune. Anyhow……. I got it licenced and imported to Ireland on a later trip and happy days. A great light carry rifle, accurate too. It’s been a few places with me since.
Absolutely superb write up my friend. I can only aspire to make it out to hunt on such trips as described, it is so refreshing to see somebody enjoying what is classed as an old world rifle and accounting for game across the globe - still!

How do you find the action?

Do you happen to know of any spare part sources? The reason I ask, is the rear sight is missing from the rifle I have purchased. Don’t get me wrong, it is not a cause for concern as I will mount my 3-7 variable Pecar Berlin, however it would be nice to keep the rifle in its original form.

Kind regards
Jack

Sika98k

Absolutely superb write up my friend. I can only aspire to make it out to hunt on such trips as described, it is so refreshing to see somebody enjoying what is classed as an old world rifle and accounting for game across the globe - still!

How do you find the action?

Do you happen to know of any spare part sources? The reason I ask, is the rear sight is missing from the rifle I have purchased. Don’t get me wrong, it is not a cause for concern as I will mount my 3-7 variable Pecar Berlin, however it would be nice to keep the rifle in its original form.

Kind regards
Jack
Look for miedler Waffen.at. They have a lot of parts. I hope you speak German. Or the Mannlicher Collectors Association might be of use.