Steyr-Mannlicher V Sako.

Weeeel I wouldn't give a Steyr houseroom if only for the reason that when shot out, the barrels are near impossible to replace due to the method of fitting (essentially a shrink fit under pressure). They can be done but at great expense and most smiths won't tackel them. So, buy once, throw away.
I have had steyrs in the past and though they were ok they never really set the world on fire.
For a working rifle in the same class I would go with a Sako every time. I'm not a big fan of the 85 design but i would choose that above any Steyr model.
Sauer is in a different class quality wise about on a par with Heym. Both excellent quality pieces of kit but again why would you bother for a working rifle?
I fully expect the Sakos that I own (did I mention all my rifles are of that marque) to outlast me and still be doing business when the steyrs of today have been consigned to the scrap bin.

Claret is quite right about the figuring v straight grain issue. Figuring tends to equal weakness in wood and there are many highly figured stocks that have broken to due rough use where a straigh grained version would have taken the knock and kept going. Most of the stocks for the really big calibres tend to be quite plain with the grain aligned striaght through the 'hand' of the stock, that tends to be the weakest area.

G

Reactions: DCG
Brit, I have a seen a few really nice top quality English guns - notably a Purdey, which have quite plain timber. Don't get me wrong, these stocks were good quality walnut, but not nearly has highly figured as the stock on my Blaser above. These stocks were made for durability and the figuring in the stock were areas of potential weakness.

Yes that was what I was trying in my inept way to put across :oops:

Sometimes you just get lucky ;) this is my Rigby Mannlicher and it has nicely figured wood, although not on par with the Blaser pictured earlier ;), This was not always the case with much plainer wood being the norm:-

14055494.jpg

14051947.jpg

14051870.jpg

Made for a Mr Dent of London prior to WW1 and cost if memory serves me correctly £12 12s. Perhaps Mr dent wanted more striking wood than was usual? Most would have been plainer like this:-

14773602.jpg

The buttstock of another Steyr Mannlicher Mdl 1892 and of course decent walnut was in a more plentiful supply then that is the case today.

Interestingly despite the passing decades when the rigby was shot on Bisley's Short Siberia using some 1960's Kynoch sporting ammunition the sights were found to still be in regulation the 160 grain bullet struck the appropriate place at both 100 and 200 yards providing the "nut behind the butt" did there part correctly. A load using the Hornady 160 grn RNSP was then worked up using Reloader 19 powder in cases made from 303 Rem brass to shoot to the sights. Just shows that properly cured wood (air dried over time) when cut and in-letted correctly keeps it form of extended periods :D.

Good point re the shot out bit. Some 308 barrels can last an awfully long time. I would think that more barrels are ruined by poor maintenance than shooting. However, the fact remains that once the Steyr barrel is scrap then so (effectively) is the rest of the rifle.

I take your point re it taking a long time in some cases.

I have the Steyr-Mannlicher in a full stock, double triggers and outside of a few bench rest rifles hear abouts it's the shooter. I haven't owned a Sako but have heard good things about them. With the Steyr, my only complaints thus far is their lame attempt at "high tech" with the plastic magazine and trigger guard/floorplate area. Should anyone know of any who might be making metal replacements, please let me know as I would consider that a huge upgrade to an otherwise superior rifle.

Interesting thread, three years old or not!

I'm surprised to see so much criticism of steyr-mannlicher. Maybe it's due to their pro-hunter plastic fantastic line. I haven't shot or even handled one of those, and don't plan to. But I own a steyr mannlicher classic in 7mm08 and I can tell you it's a superb rifle. I've also fired hundreds of rounds with a sako so here goes for a comparison:

-Sakos have beautiful triggers. You can adjust them all the way down to 1 kilo / 2 pounds and they're wonderfully crisp. My mannlicher has a combined direct trigger / set trigger (which you engage by pushing the trigger forwards). Honestly, the set trigger is a bit of a nuisance. It's fine for the range, but I've never used it when hunting. The direct trigger on the mannlicher is just as crisp as a sako but you can't get it down to the same 2 pound breaking point (at least I don't think you can). Still - I'd say 2 pounds is better on the range but give me 3 or 3 1/2 when hunting, 'specially with gloves.

-The mannlicher has better practical accuracy. Sako feels bulkier, at least to me. I have the mannlicher 'classic mountain' with a short 50 cm / 20 inch barrel and a slim stock which I suspect makes a big difference (the typical sako has a 57 cm / 22 1/2 inch barrel and a slightly bulkier stock). The mannlicher is extremely handy and 'pointable', if you know what I mean. It's a delight to shoot prone, sitting and off-hand. I practice for hunting by shooting off-hand at 20cm/8 inch discs at 100m and prone at 5cm / 2 inch or 10cm / 4 inch discs at the same distance. I find I have a better hand / eye / cheek match up in the different positions with the mannlicher. In the field it's a delight. I should add I've used the same zeiss classic 1.5-6 variable scope + German EAW detachable mounts on the mannlicher and the sako.

-Both mannlicher and sako are the right weight for me, that is about 4 kilos / 8 and a bit pounds with scope and wooden stock. This is light enough to carry about for a long time (I detest rifle slings), and heavy enough to reduce felt recoil. Mausers, for instance, are a bit too heavy in my view (that is if you're shooting 7mm08 or equivalent calibres). It's much worse if the gun is too light - I think the recoil of the average plastic stock featherweight will make you develop a flinch unless you're shooting an ultra light recoiling cartridge like the .243.

-The mannlicher has a very handy safety placed on the top of the pistol grip (like a shotgun) rather than alongside the barrel as on the sako. I find the the mannlicher safety a lot easier to use without shifting my position on the pistol grip.

-The mannlicher has a very simple and reliable magazine release system. You press in catches on each side of the magazine to release it. It's easy and quick to do one handed, and there's no danger of the magazine dropping out by accident. On the sako you have to simultaneously push in and pull out, which is a bit awkward.

-The sako has a nice wide opening in the receiver which allows you to top load the magazine without detaching it from the rifle. Mannlichers have a narrow opening so ejecting the magazine is the only way to load (unless you're single loading on the range directly into the chamber). However if you've got a reasonably low mounted scope - which IMO you definitely should! - top loading is a pain in any case. I carry two 4 round magazines when I'm hunting so problem solved (not that I've ever needed the second one).

-I prefer the mannlicher bolt. It's much bigger than the sako system, just as smooth and doesn't wobble at all. Sakos have a shorter bolt throw (about 60 degrees) which in theory allows for faster follow up shots (no difference in practice for me - but there would be if I used a very low mounted scope). Mannlichers come with a 'butter knife' bolt handle which looks good but doesn't offer any practical advantage or disadvantage over the the typical knob. It's just different.

All in all, mannlicher and sako are great rifles. I reckon the mannlicher is more 'shootable', but then again I'm using the carbine length barrel (can't see the point in a longer barrel - who hunts beyond 250 meters anyway?) and have no plans to switch to a magnum ;)

Salut Pzbrook!

I have mechanically the same rifle as you: a Steyr-Mannlicher Classic, also in 7mm-08, although mine is the full-stocked version. I chose the rifle first, then the calibre to work well in a short barrel. I think it's mostly to do with the stock design, but I don't even think about the recoil anymore. It is as accurate as I am, the rifle/cartridge combination far more capable than that. As you say, it handles beautifully, it's very pointable, and I also only use the set trigger on the range. Maybe I'd use it for a long shot from prone position, on a stable rest, but I've not been in that situation yet.

Whereabouts are you in France? I'm from Alsace myself.

Had both still got the sako 85 but still would have a Steyr scout any day just that roll safty can catch you out , i have seen bolts drop due to over rolling it

Having had experience of all, my vote would go to Sako; preferably a clean 75 and definitely synthetic. Then for general stalking use bolt a Hungarian Schmidt on top with a No. 7 reticle.

Good luck,

Tim

Salut pine marten!
About 90 minutes north of Toulouse, not far from a place called st antonin noble val. But I know Alsace well - a great region. I lived in Strasbourg for four years and hunted a couple of times near osthouse. What part are you in?
Completely agree with what you say about the rifle being as accurate as you are - that's how it is with me too :). The full stock must be a real beauty! I almost got it but went for the mountain version instead for some very good reason which I can't remember now... Anyway, they're both great.

AdrianC, I had to make exactly the same choice, a budget of just under £2k for rifle and scope and I had narrowed it to a Sako or a Steyr. So I bought a Tikka M65 for £400, scope, bipod and sling included.... Best move I made, as I still have £1600 left and the older Tikka is more accurate than either of the initial two choices.

As en earlier poster said, you may end up swapping later anyway so you could spend the saved money on customising now should you wish. I took the view that even if the rifle was shot out the price was worth it for a stock and the action anyway as I could still afford a rebarrel within budget.

Last edited:
Weeeel I wouldn't give a Steyr houseroom if only for the reason that when shot out, the barrels are near impossible to replace due to the method of fitting (essentially a shrink fit under pressure). They can be done but at great expense and most smiths won't tackel them. So, buy once, throw away.
I have had steyrs in the past and though they were ok they never really set the world on fire.
For a working rifle in the same class I would go with a Sako every time. I'm not a big fan of the 85 design but i would choose that above any Steyr model.
Sauer is in a different class quality wise about on a par with Heym. Both excellent quality pieces of kit but again why would you bother for a working rifle?
I fully expect the Sakos that I own (did I mention all my rifles are of that marque) to outlast me and still be doing business when the steyrs of today have been consigned to the scrap bin.

Claret is quite right about the figuring v straight grain issue. Figuring tends to equal weakness in wood and there are many highly figured stocks that have broken to due rough use where a straigh grained version would have taken the knock and kept going. Most of the stocks for the really big calibres tend to be quite plain with the grain aligned striaght through the 'hand' of the stock, that tends to be the weakest area.

G
A very old thread I know but just for clarification ... any Steyr fitted with the SBS safety system (2004 onwards) comes with a screw in barrel. Only the SSG69 had a pressed in barrel. Any decent gunsmith should be able to change the barrel out for you. Yes, I own a Steyr SSG04 and yes ... it has a screw in barrel.

Jamsie

Out of all the rifles I had had the most accurate out of the box were two Remington 700's. A 270 and a 25-06. After this the old type 270 steyr. Then 2x sako 75 and sako 85. I had a t3, 202 and just wouldn't have either again.

Remington 700, plus and minus is 5 shot floor plate, cant loss a mag but then cant carry a fully loaded spare if you have a lot of deer to shoot. Can load from.the top. Jewell triggers available

Steyr, single set trigger are brilliant. More modern one I had for a short time was problematic, sm12 bolt came out of rifle when shoot a few deer, more than once. Also decocked itself when shooting more than one deer when it shouldn't have.

Sako 75 detachable mag good, can top load too. Just felt a bit numb when carrying/using.

Sako 85 not keen on it's lack of proper recoil lug. Mag system as good as 75. A bit better to carry/handle than 85

T3, the one i had would shoot better than 1,1/2moa which was on par with the 202. Didn't like the 2 separate on/off safety of 202. Didn't like the mag and have to remove to top up with rounds then replace back in rifle

Steyr rifles seem to be let down by the magazines, but there is a conversion available(for the SSG, at least) that allows Accuracy International mags to be used.
There is a problem with Tikka mags in 223, but there is mag available that gets over it.

Steyr rifles seem to be let down by the magazines, but there is a conversion available(for the SSG, at least) that allows Accuracy International mags to be used.
There is a problem with Tikka mags in 223, but there is mag available that gets over it.
Ah ... another generalisation! I have 2 x 10 round magazines for my SSG04. Superb pieces of kit that make the AI mags look daft. If you are talking about the SSG69 rotary mag, then I would agree with you.

Jamsie

Reactions: JTO
I would say handle both - I prefer the mannlichers (the older ones) over the Sako’s....smoother bolt movement and nice triggers. I feel the sakos aren’t that good looking a rifle and the slop in the bolt when out of battery.

regards,
Gixer.

10 year old thread but funnily enough I've been setting up a .308 steyr manlicher Pro hunter and a .223 Sako 85 today at the range both shot extremely well and were a pleasure to use.

I've had my Steyr SM12 for just over 4 years, lovely looking gun (but looks are to individual taste). Accuracy is great, never had to check it since it was zeroed when I bought it new. Everything drops on the spot. Its 308 with a Zeiss scope and an A-Tec moderator and a bipod. The bolt is lovely and smooth, although tighter than the Browning I use to have.

It is so good I recently traded my Browning for a Steyr Pro-hunter stainless steel (25-06). Its no where near as pretty as the SM12, but I bought it for taking out in all weather. I stuck with a Zeiss scope, exactly the same as the one on my SM12, an A-tec H2 moderator and bipod. It zeroed no problem with 10mm grouping at 100m with a bipod. Not many rounds through it so far its done what I wanted from it.

The set trigger is fantastic but make sure you're happy and familiar with it before going out and using it.

I'm very happy with both of mine.

Back