Steyr Scout

Our passion is your passion... stalk with us!

Tony

Hi all, i aquired a scout from a friend and he used LAPUA 100G in it. I do not know what else if anything he tried but i am not happy with the consistency i am getting.
Anyone have one and if so what do you feed yours?
Cheers
Tony

User00004

Distinguished Member
Caliber?......

I had a .308 Tacticle Scout Elite, I couldn't get on with it, too heavy for stalking but even on a range, I struggled to get good accuracy with it so I PX'd it. Might just have been me, not sure. PM "mack" from this site, he has one, although I think his is .308, As had been suggested, I suspect yours is .243

Stayangry

Surprised to hear that you are getting poor consistency

As I recall, the reviews published when the rifle was launched were complimentary

Just a thought - how quickly do you shoot a group? That thin barrel is very prone to heating

Suggest that you space out your shots and see if that makes any difference

Shoot, say, one shot every 3 minutes and see if consistency improves.

jingzy

What is the twist rate of the barrel?

Also, have you tried dropping down to 80 or 75 grainers to see if the group tightens?

J

Rack

Don't know if the Scout is anything like my Steyr Mannlicher Classic in .243, but I couldn't get any ammo to print until I started using RWS. I now use 100 grain T Mantel and get 6 tenths of an inch, three shot groups at 100 yards. With such a slim barrel the third shot is a flyer, unless I let the barrel cool down after the second shot. The only other ammo that would group was Remington 95 grain AccuTip, but they were ballistic tipped and, in my opinion, unsuitable for deer, but mustard on foxes.

Elwood

Try a lighter bullet, say between 75 and 90 grains. Could you elaborate on poor consistency?

I must confess that I have never used factory fodder in my Scout, but with reloads it shoots anything from 55 grain to 85 grain heads with great accuracy.

Richard Parsons

My .243 only goes for 70 to 85grain. Only after floating the barrel and a trigger polish as well. A shooter I know with many more years of experience than me has had plenty of .243's and says 100gr is pretty optimistic in all of them.

Rack

I wish to correct a typo error in my previous post. The Remington ammo I used was 75 grain not 90.............

Rifles, like my Steyr Mannlicher, with a 1 in 10 barrel twist, may not handle 100 grain ammo. I was pulling my hair out trying various ammo and as soon as I used the RWS 100 grain T Mantel the lights went on. That rifle nearly went in the hedge, as I got more and more frustrated, but perseverance won the day. I made sure I bought plenty of rounds, (from the same batch) and I now have plenty of confidence in RWS.

Heym SR20

Ditto for the RWS 10gn T Mantel's - very good ammo.

Also given that it is a 2nd hand rifleI would suggest giving the barrel a really good clean to get any crap out of it. May even be worth using something like JB Compound for getting any copper deposits out.

When I got my Heym, 2nd hand, it shot OK or so I thought, until a friend who is a stalker plus a benchrest shooter took one look down the barrel.

He swore in a gentle highland tones and gave the barrel a lapping out with a mild abrasive cleaning compound. Immediatly started cover leafing and still does. I do clean the barrel well after every few shots, and even if I have just fired one shot, I do run a clean patch through the rifle before putting it away.

Also check that scope and mounts are solid and tight. No crud is between the barrel and the stock, and all stock screws are nice and tight.

charadam

The Scout was Col Jeff Cooper's concept of a true, all-round rifle.

A search for Coopers Commentaries will reveal much about its origins, including the fact that he chose .308 Win as "the" calibre.

This rifle was to be a "survival" tool in the truest sense, with utility for all NECESSARY disciplines.

Here is a summary: http://home.netcom.com/~chingesh/SteyrScout.html

The fact is that Steyr have bastardised the concept and have introduced calibres other than the .308. People are paying premium money in the expectation of great things and frequently seem to be disappointed.

mack

scout

charadam said:
The Scout was Col Jeff Cooper's concept of a true, all-round rifle.

A search for Coopers Commentaries will reveal much about its origins, including the fact that he chose .308 Win as "the" calibre.

This rifle was to be a "survival" tool in the truest sense, with utility for all NECESSARY disciplines.

Here is a summary: http://home.netcom.com/~chingesh/SteyrScout.html

The fact is that Steyr have bastardised the concept and have introduced calibres other than the .308. People are paying premium money in the expectation of great things and frequently seem to be disappointed.

Well said!

Tony

Many thanks for your reply's guy's very helpful indeed, will post results when tried different ammo.
Tony

I use 85gn Speer btsp and 32.7gns of H4895,very accurate. Also 100gn Sierra pro hunters and 45gns of RL22 on reds.

tackb

I owned a scout in 308 and found I could never get acceptable accuracy with it , but the biggest problem was it's wildly inconsistent zero , I'd zero it eventually then put it away only to find when I got it out again the first few rounds would be anywhere within 8" of the poa I tried clean un clean different ammo , everything basically but I just couldn't rely on it for a first round hit so I sold it , a shame really as the concept was great !

Our passion is your passion... stalk with us!