Steyr SM12

viney

In the market for a good looking traditional wooden stock rifle which won't break the bank,
been looking at the new Steyr SM12 on line not sure what to make of it ? Use to own a pro hunter which I never really gelled with, don't want to jump back into the fire if they have any issues:D. Anyone got one or used one as I do quite like the look of them. Would want one without the set trigger option in 223 for vermin bashin.

glogin

Tried one in synthetic stock SX version and it was very good. It was set trigger option but the trigger was nice and crisp without setting it. Good safety I never liked prohunter's wheel. Better stock as well. I have two favourites so far R8 and SM12 SX even though Mannlicher is half the price of the Blaser.

Border

My personal opinion is that Steyr Mannlichers since the prohunter era are a bit like Citroens. Sure they function and can be reliable workhorses but the styling is so out there that you either love or hate them. I like the SSG 69 and the older stuff but not a member of the modern rifles fan club.

Harry mac

I love the new styling of the synthetic stock for the SM12 series, I never did like the shape of the Pro-hunter stocks; but I wish they'd do a wooden stock with a straight comb. The hog's back just looks so old fashioned.

Southern

Steyr did a walnut stock with a straight comb for the original SBS 96, which also came in the synthetic Prohunter stock. Why they dropped it, I do not know. You can still buy them as a part for about $350.00 USD.

I just received an email from Steyr yesterday that the SSG 69 is being discontinued. They just put all the variations up for sale, at around $1,600 USD. There are about 1,000 of them for sale.