Sticking bolt - Sako XS

Hi All, I hav'nt been able to use the rifle in the past few weeks, but have plenty to consider after reading your comments

Yorrick. Yes, stainless and I had used a fine oil as lubricant. EP grease is next ......

Ranger22. It does happen after dry firing on snap caps . Like you, I had the rifle upside down too, to hit the bolt hard.

takbok. As above, I reckon I need find the correct bolt lubricant. (hopefully its EP grease) re Galling. I was concerned about this when I first used the rifle with the st/st mod on, but didn't suspect this as my bolt problem.

I was very careful reloading and as I said for previous range days, everything was so smooth and slick. Everything on the loads were exactly the same as previous ones,( but loads will be checked thoroughly before and during any future firing.) Then shot by shot it started to stiffened up. This still happening when I dry fired on snap caps too.

Many thanks for all your very welcome suggestions. When I find the solution I will let you know.

Cheers, Alan.

but first operated the bolt on snap caps. After firing around ten the bolt wouldn't open at all. I struggled and eventually, using quite a bit of force managed to get it open
Something isn't right and continuing to shoot it puts you and those around you at risk.

Sticky bolt on ammunition is until proven otherwise an indication of excess pressure. All reloading manuals are very clear on this.

To continue shooting the same handloads with the bolt getting progressively stickier is unbelievably irresponsible. Its such a basic tenet that I would suggest you re read the how to section of a published reloading manual to ensure there arent other fundamentals you have misunderstood or forgotten!

Apologies for sounding so rigid but it comes across as quite a serious safety breach.

As I read it the problem was happening when just dry-firing the snap caps, so not a handload pressure issue...possibly it was initiated by that. The galling/cold welding mentioned above or just lack of lubricant on the lugs or cocking cam would answer the symptom of it occurring after dry firing 10 snap caps.

When out and about one day with my Finnfire I managed to stop a graunchy bolt action by rubbing the lug surfaces with a soft pencil, the graphite is a great non dust attracting lubricant...even talcum powder will prevent Stainless fixings from doing it, my stainless nut and bolt drawer pongs delightfully of Johnsons Baby Powder! I give every bag or box a shake or two as soon as they arrive.

Alan

PS... @owdnorthener Ah just seen your latest response...too slow...too slow...

Hi All, I hav'nt been able to use the rifle in the past few weeks, but have plenty to consider after reading your comments

Yorrick. Yes, stainless and I had used a fine oil as lubricant. EP grease is next ......

Ranger22. It does happen after dry firing on snap caps . Like you, I had the rifle upside down too, to hit the bolt hard.

takbok. As above, I reckon I need find the correct bolt lubricant. (hopefully its EP grease) re Galling. I was concerned about this when I first used the rifle with the st/st mod on, but didn't suspect this as my bolt problem.

I was very careful reloading and as I said for previous range days, everything was so smooth and slick. Everything on the loads were exactly the same as previous ones,( but loads will be checked thoroughly before and during any future firing.) Then shot by shot it started to stiffened up. This still happening when I dry fired on snap caps too.

Many thanks for all your very welcome suggestions. When I find the solution I will let you know.

Cheers, Alan.

I tried a few different lubes, it didn’t help. There is a manufacturing issue. One of the other boys I worked with had the same problem, same result. Rifle sent back

I tried a few different lubes, it didn’t help. There is a manufacturing issue. One of the other boys I worked with had the same problem, same result. Rifle sent back
What exactly was the "manufacturing" issue? was it properly identified? - I'm curious.
Mine is fine now that I use an EP (Extreme Pressure) grease on the lugs & also, more importantly between the cocking piece & cam ramp. As I indicated earlier some greases simply don't work in this application. It is a shame that Sako don't realize this & make recommendations.
Maybe others have continued struggling with a binding bolt & really galled the stainless pressure parts, whereas I sorted mine when it first manifested whilst I was using a white ptfe loaded grease.

Ian

What exactly was the "manufacturing" issue? was it properly identified? - I'm curious.
Mine is fine now that I use an EP (Extreme Pressure) grease on the lugs & also, more importantly between the cocking piece & cam ramp. As I indicated earlier some greases simply don't work in this application. It is a shame that Sako don't realize this & make recommendations.
Maybe others have continued struggling with a binding bolt & really galled the stainless pressure parts, whereas I sorted mine when it first manifested whilst I was using a white ptfe loaded grease.

Ian

They were sent back to Sako, all I remember was they called it cold welding.

Similar issues now clean the chamber regularly and small amount of grease on the lugs works wonders

Hi, I will add a little grease and have already given the chamber a good clean, so hopefully I will be sorted.
Due to ongoing health issues, I cannot easily get out to shoot. So there may be a delay in trying my rifle and in letting you know how things went.
I will get back and let you know, so please be patient. The advice already given is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Back