Stiffening Stock

That my friend is nonsense I’m afraid. Got two R8’s and forends are fine although one is a wooden stock. Also all blaser synthetics I’ve seen have been absolutely fine. I base your experience on an aftermarket stock and not blaser produced.
the comment was slightly tongue in cheek however I do believe blaser stocks to be tip top. You do pay for it I appreciate but nevertheless they are well made
Blaser stocks I had are also just cheap plastic injection moulded stocks. Nothing better than the others have. Several shooters are having issues with them. Maybe they just have higher standards??
edi

Thank you for all the reply’s guys. As I said I realise that ultimately swapping the stocks for McMillan ones is the best solution but with them probably costing £500-600 a piece it’s just not doable at the moment.
I’m certainly not afraid to have a go at modifying what I’ve got and I’ve gained valuable info from your replies such as epoxy resin won’t bond to the stock(as I suspected) and I hadn’t considered fitting a metal/carbon rod in there. Looks like fitting a piece of aluminium tube and filling around with 2 pot PU Foam might be worth a go :)

Thank you for all the reply’s guys. As I said I realise that ultimately swapping the stocks for McMillan ones is the best solution but with them probably costing £500-600 a piece it’s just not doable at the moment.
I’m certainly not afraid to have a go at modifying what I’ve got and I’ve gained valuable info from your replies such as epoxy resin won’t bond to the stock(as I suspected) and I hadn’t considered fitting a metal/carbon rod in there. Looks like fitting a piece of aluminium tube and filling around with 2 pot PU Foam might be worth a go :)
While it might not stick very well. You can get it to fix mechanically. ie use a dremel type tool to make grooves and undercuts to the stock it will stop in then.

Keep an eye out on the classifieds, or drop a mail to Ed at Edinburgh rifles. McMillans come up at reasonable prises from time to time.

Hi, I had same problem when using a bipod on a howa 1500 with axiom stock so used some old carbon arrow shafts and simply poured in some of the gorilla 2part epoxy resin and worked really well, surprisingly! Haha ,cheers Lee.

Have a look at West Systems epoxy system. They do a low density filler which you mix in - no 407 - that is lightweight and used for making large fillets to hold bits of boats together. Would be ideal for filling a forend without adding much weight.

if you use their microfibres you get a very tough epoxy mix. Ideal for providing bases for bolts etc. I have used to bond in threaded studs to hold engine mounts for single cylinder diesel engines. If you first wax the studs you can then unscrew as required.

you can also add in carbon fibres for extra toughness and strength.

I have 2 Sako 75 rifles both stainless and both with synthetic stocks. I’m thinking of buying a bipod to use with them both but the forend of the stocks are pretty flimsy. Is there anything I can do to stiffen up the forends?

I did wonder about filling the for-ends with 8-10mm of epoxy resin but would this be feasible?

I know ultimately it would be better putting a McMillan composite or laminated wood stock on them both but a bit expensive for the moment.

Any advice would be great

Thankyou in advance

Nathan Foster's website offers good advice on stiffening flimsy stocks.
Just had a look on there and they sell a kit to do just what I want to do. I would just literally fill the forend of the stock with epoxy resin but there is just a question mark if it will bond to the stock even if I rough it up and put some holes in the strengthening pieces within the stock. I was once told by someone that the stuff they make to Sako synthetic stocks out of is very “oily” so won’t take paint etc.

You have to flame the plastic to get glue or paint to stick it conditions the surface so use a blowlamp quickly moving over the surface.
Look at video minute 2.53.

Ah ok so if I clean it with a solvent, run a flame from a blow over it all then pour the epoxy resin in it should bond to the stock. I will also drill some holes through the strengthening pieces in the stock so the resin can run between sections.

Ah ok so if I clean it with a solvent, run a flame from a blow over it all then pour the epoxy resin in it should bond to the stock. I will also drill some holes through the strengthening pieces in the stock so the resin can run between sections.
If you drill into or cut some grooves in the sides of the stock it will help mechanically hold g tv he resin in

Sanding the surface can also help, most plastic stock materials contain short glas fibres. Once sanded well, fibres stick out the surface and interlock with the epoxy. There are huge differences in the bonding ability of epoxy resins. We have one type that will hardly release with the best release agents, that is the one we use for repairs. Of course mechanical lock helps. For stiffness have long fibres top, bottom and sides of the fill. Centre can be a light fill.
edi

i have a steyr mannlicher pro hunter the stock is very flexible at the end i tried the fiberglass approach did not make that much difference so i looked for a new stock but they were to far out of my budget i ended up buying a wicked lights recon tripod and pig saddle this did not sort out the flexing but now i shoot all my rifles from the prone to standing at all ranges and the flexing is no longer a problem if you get the oppertunity to try a set i would recommend you do it will change the way you shoot

just another angle to your problem

Unless something has changed there is no adhesive that will stick to the plastic stocks. I had a buddy who was a stock designer at Remington and had a long conversation with him and that was the bad news.

The best stock repair material I have ever found is Marinetex. It was designed to repair leaking fuel cells at sea and the US Navy loves it. I have put it on active fuel tank leaks in vehicles and stopped it immediately. I have also applied it to a leaking transfer case on a vehicle and stopped it. Once it cures you can store it under petrol and it doesn't change.

It comes in white and gray. The white you will find in boating centers used for hull repairs. The gray you will find in industrial supply stores. A quart can will last you many years. It is mixed 1 part hardener to 4 parts black stuff. Mix at least two minutes continually before applying.

This is what the US Navy Seal sniper rifles are bedded with as it is impervious to solvents, greases, bore cleaners after it cures.

Back