Stock chequering

Birkie94

I'm thinking of refinishing a few rifle stocks. I'm thinking of sanding the chequering and leave it in unchequered/smooth. They are nice walnut stocks and think they'll look nice plain. Does the chequering do anything or is it purely cosmetic? A .243 is the biggest calibre I'm doing so recoil won't be a issue.

alberta boy

I like nice chequering on some firearms , but not all . I make a point of removing it from my lever action rifles . Mostly because it looks more traditional , but it doesn't really do much in reality . No military issue , wooden stocked , bolt action rifles had any , and they were regularly used under far harsher conditions than any of us will ever face . In real world use , it doesn't do much except look nice . And if it isn't sealed properly it will allow moisture into the stock .
Just to prove I'm a complete hypocrite , I'm waiting for new blades for my chequering tools so I can cut some panels in a few new stocks ....... I'm so complicated lol .

AB

enfieldspares

If done well it is functional and pleasing to the eye. If chequering is done badly bear in mind that to then "correct" the ill you've done you will only do so by taking the stock down. So will reduce the thickness of the stock where so done. On some old English straight hand stock shotguns that have had chequering re-done they are considerably afterwards less strong through the "hand" of the stock. Removing perfectly good chequering is a case IMHO of "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Unless it is Parker Hale's God bloody awful skip line or "Scotch" chequering. In which case sand away!