Stolen Dogs - An Garda Siochana

Why is it so rife in Ireland?

Ahem! If you want a clue, knock on the next caravan.

It may be simply that the police in Ireland are more effective at dealing with property crime than British police. After all, they could hardly be much worse. A glance at the Irish stats suggests this is the case - although of course they probably aren't comparing apples with apples. But at least they know what an apple is.

As an owner of a jack russel and lurcher I'm always on my guard in case of theft

Was walking them the other day when a member of our local constabulary cruised by (middle of nowhere)

After a moments study out of their car window they stopped and asked who I was and where I was from

i was tempted to answer in a broad Irish accent but lost my bottle and merely responded in my usual middle class '****ika'

I remember back in the 80's when, anyone was asked by a stranger if their lurcher was any good the stock answer was "No, it's slow and opens up". That was initially a good way to stop your dog being stolen but certain types cottoned on to it.....The worse the dog was said to be more likely the better it was so they were stealing the ones that were said to be really shite ;)

The Garda interest in dog theft is a recent development ( and a very welcome one too ).
It follows from clarification that dogs are " property " in the legal sense so taking one is theft.
With the increase in dog values since lock down and a reduction in people traveling in or out of the country they've been able to concentrate their attention on the matter and are scoring some notable successes.
The full extent of the problem and the amounts of money involved has come as a bit of an eye opener.

Its rife here both sides of the border
Dogs are now being siezed at ports north and south by authorites if the 'owners' have no paperwork or microchip id

Social media is playing a large part either in posting up peoples stolen pets and or dogs recovered i would urge all to share such posts whenever seen
Dogs stolen here often turn up in the uk and visa versa
Its gone on for decades with terriers and lurchers but has since covid arrived spread to any type of dog
In ROI i believe the crime of dog theft has be reclassified with stiffer penalties

As an owner of a jack russel and lurcher I'm always on my guard in case of theft

Was walking them the other day when a member of our local constabulary cruised by (middle of nowhere)

After a moments study out of their car window they stopped and asked who I was and where I was from

i was tempted to answer in a broad Irish accent but lost my bottle and merely responded in my usual middle class '****ika'

Great to see racism alive and well, so anyone with a lurcher and Jack Russell with an Irish accent is a traveller?

Back