Stop lamp glare off your moderator

Leica Amplus 6

shaun22/250

Well Im not the only one who has sufferd from mod glare when lamping,either with a scope mounted lamp or shooting from a vehicle with a hand held and trying to have the lamp some 2 feet to one side to avoid glare. I've tried lots of remedies from camo tape to an old sock. The problem is that the light is bounced back from the rear face of the mod not the outer of it. This is my solution works spot on for what ever lamp either scope mounted or hand held. Go to your local diy store and get a piece of pipe insulation about £1 for a meter. cut to length and slip over the barrel, light weight and as the mod and effectively barrel are the same diameter there is no glare. Give it a go :D

willowbank

Sounds good in theory and will give that a go, only thing that comes to mind is that the barrel will be "insulated" and will get a tad warm if out on a serious session on the bunnies.

ATB WB

shaun22/250

Od as it seams I dont have probs with my 22 rimmy only my center fires for foxing, perhaps its the bigger mods but even so think you would have to go some to get the barrel too warm on a rimmy

Ranger22

Neoprene cover sorted the glare on mine but I've heard others putting electrical tape on the bottom half of the objective lenses of their scopes. They say it works, I haven't tried it yet

Al

limulus

Buy a cree501 and an ahorton aspherical lens to replace the glass front. Set the lens about 11mm from the led and connect the torch to a piece of plastic pipe that fits snuggly around the moderator. Replace the switch with a flex extender switch so you can turn it on near your stock hand and roberts your aunties brother.
Good for 200yds plus and you can buy a red led version thats good for 200yds plus too.
Totally transformed my foxing/wabbiting especially when out alone.

Last edited:

ferretmanabu

Buy a cree501 and an ahorton asperical lens to replace the glass front. Set the lens about 11mm from the led and connect the torch to a piece of plastic pipe that fits snuggly around the moderator. Replace the switch with a flex extender switch so you can turn it on near your stock hand and roberts your aunties brother.
Good for 200yds plus and you can buy a red led version thats good for 200yds plus too.
Totally transformed my foxing/wabbiting especially when out alone.

I think this definitely needs a picture.

limulus

Will do tomorrow.
Cree501b torch...about £6
Ahorton lens...£13 (£8 for one with damage around the edge that doesnt effect its efficacy, just cosmetic)
Extension switch..about £4
Red led cree501b..about £8

One lens can be used on multiple torches.

I used a piece of 1' 1/4" waste pipe then cut two slots 11mm apart so a standard scope mount can be used, this fits snugly around a dm80 and T8.

Jim xyz

Depends on your set up but if the scope is on the sight see if you can mount it way back on the sight. That way the back of the mod is in shadow so no glare.

Tim.243

My answer was to increase the height of my lamp arm...
I shoot alone most of the time so things have to be right, as foxes don't tend to hang around too long and good ID is a must.
My solution was solved with a 3inch extension to my LF170, it still functions the same but with out the glare. I made it out of nylon 66 with the same dimensions so I could use the spring and wheel to alter the pitch of the light...
It is a shame the people who make this stuff don't really test it for all markets...

Tim.243

Mungo

There are endless fearsomely complicated ways to solve this problem.

And one very simple, very cheap and very effective way: get some black insulating tape and tape over the bottom quarter or so of the front end of the scope (it shouldn't touch the glass, since this is usually recessed). I refused to believe that this could work until I tried it - and was amazed. Completely solves the problem with no discernible loss of sight picture.

Advantages: effective, quick, cheap, and easily removable for day use.

Disadvantages: none.

hummel

Put black insulating tape on the bottom half of your objective lens. Works perfectly. I shoot all my foxes with it.

Cyres

Make an extension tube for the torch using the inside off a kitchen paper role. Attach with insulating tape.

D

bewsher500

i tried the tape but still got some glare
used a aluminium lavender bubble bath bottle trimmed at both end and sprayed black

works a treat and tightens the beam even more
bit bulky but it all goes in the bag

THE STALKER

As everyone has tried different things to stop Mod glare from the gun lights, my method is to take a pair of Bikini scope covers , then cut out half of the objective lens end and then just shorten the elastic on the other end and Bobs your uncle . So it is not permanent and can be slipped off easily if needed.

.243Ady

fitted sunshade to scope which casts a shadow over the bush on the back of my wildcat mod, no more glare :)

finnbear270

There are endless fearsomely complicated ways to solve this problem.

And one very simple, very cheap and very effective way: get some black insulating tape and tape over the bottom quarter or so of the front end of the scope (it shouldn't touch the glass, since this is usually recessed). I refused to believe that this could work until I tried it - and was amazed. Completely solves the problem with no discernible loss of sight picture.

Advantages: effective, quick, cheap, and easily removable for day use.

Disadvantages: none.

Correctomundo!,.......... I also have one rifle with a black plastic tube section, off a fishing rod packet, just slipped over the objective, lightly taped in place.

UK Outfitters