Stopping by from America, nice to meet you

Night Vision Store

Xerxes

I landed on your community here while researching some important hunting law information and I found some discussions about an American hunter and some of his less than perfect views on scottish hunting practices from the perspective of the locals here.

I noticed a few key bits of uniquely American issues that weren't obvious to non Americans and being a fan of this hunter in a major way, Im just here to add a quick footnote on a discussion that should benefit your understanding and clear up intentions hopefully to help make you bigger fans as I am.

Im open to questions about American points of view if you have them as well

Southeast north America, hiking and wilderness stalking, im a new convert to hunting in a country where 95% of people dont hunt

Tim.243

I landed on your community here while researching some important hunting law information and I found some discussions about an American hunter and some of his less than perfect views on scottish hunting practices from the perspective of the locals here.

I noticed a few key bits of uniquely American issues that weren't obvious to non Americans and being a fan of this hunter in a major way, Im just here to add a quick footnote on a discussion that should benefit your understanding and clear up intentions hopefully to help make you bigger fans as I am.

Southeast north America, hiking and wilderness stalking, im a new convert to hunting in a country where 95% of people dont hunt
Welcome to the forum, not sure what person you are talking about but
I don't get what keith warren is about
here is one example of shooting a deer with a .50 bmg
Hope you can shed some light on the need for a .50

Xerxes

Welcome from Essex Uk, I'd assume it's the thread about Steven Rinella? Got to admit I'm a fan of his myself
See, I knew I should take a moment to join!! You are right and I have popped my comments into the thread, please check it out if you like!

Xerxes

Welcome to the forum, not sure what person you are talking about but
I don't get what keith warren is about
here is one example of shooting a deer with a .50 bmg
Hope you can shed some light on the need for a .50

Thank you for the welcome. Sure, I will take a look at the video right now and report back.

Tim.243

Thank you for the welcome. Sure, I will take a look at the video right now. Can you be a little more specific with your question?
Yes do you think a .50 bmg is warranted on a mid sized deer around 100 yds?

Where > a .223 to 30-06 would be just fine.

Xerxes

I dont think that caliber is warranted for this animal. Yardage isnt a factor i feel its not warranted here at all

Im trying to figure some more comments out for you now. :)

Xerxes

Okay, I watched a few times and went through the comments & Im back with some insight.

First of all, did you have this video ready for the first american that popped in? Because wow its so bad and so represents the worst things about America and guns and also, i find how rediculous it is hilarious and perfect and think you must be a funny as well.

First this isn’t normal. Hunters here have pretty strict self policing rules that they follow and breaking those rules would never be something that you would post openly on YouTube like this normally. For example, you would never poach here and post it openly.

You have idiots there too right? This is one of ours.

There were two comments that stood out as how great hunters with good senses of humor would look at this while shaking thier heads.

Comment one- “Next we call in an airstrike on a rabbit”

Comment two- “How did you die?

A hunter shot me and missed”

Hunters here are so argued out by bleeding hearts and vegans and everyone else that’s against them that while they would never personally do this and shun the behavior to be honest, they would rather take a ironic humor approach and move on knowing that the animal died quickly, and wasnt wasted as those are the common points considered always forth fighting for.

The comment noting the missed shot is the funnier comment.

I hope that helps see it through a more American pair of glasses

Last edited:

willie_gunn

Welcome to the site!

I lived in the US (well, Texas) for a couple of years back in the late 80's and loved it. Through the kind invitation of a work colleague I got out hunting a few times - turkey, hog, javelina and pheasant. Travelled around the US a fair bit too over the years. I've also been back regularly for work, but only hunted deer with a camera, not a rifle. ;)

Looking forward to hearing more stories from the US. You do things differently to us when it comes to hunting. And I mean differently - not wrongly!

Regarding your user name - I am guessing it is after Xerxes the Great, the Persian king? Quite a legend - defeated the Spartans, conquered Attica and sacked Athens.

The only other Xerxes I know of is one half of a pair of horses (the other was Artexerxes) that were used by the Cockney grocer Mr Jorrocks in the R S Surtees novel on foxhunting, Handley Cross!

Doric

Thank you for the welcome. Sure, I will take a look at the video right now and report back.

Big welcome from Aberdeenshire. Many oversea visitors find our traditional shooting practices to be a bit strange and they may be right. We in Scotland as well as the rest of the UK have a great respect for our game animals and prioritise a clean shot that puts an animal down with the least chance of a wounded beast running off. We tend to stalk in close and place the bullet in the heart from broadside on a stationary beast. This gives the best chance of dropping a deer and keeping meat damage to a minimum. Long shots and running shots are not encouraged and many of our game keepers and stalkers would have some choise words for a guest taking such a shot.
This of course is not to say that we are right and everyone else is wrong, it is just how we do things.
I hope this helps you in some way to understand our ways.

bfltd0

Welcome from London.

Not much to add to the comments on the .50 except I don't know what range he sighted in at or took the shot on the doe at, but he clearly over-gunned, both in terms of chambering and his ability to use it effectively.

Tim.243

Okay, I watched a few times and went through the comments & Im back with some insight.

First of all, did you have this video ready for the first american that popped in? Because wow its so bad and so represents the worst things about America and guns and also, i find how rediculous it is hilarious and perfect and think you must be a funny as well.

First this isn’t normal. Hunters here have pretty strict self policing rules that they follow and breaking those rules would never be something that you would post openly on YouTube like this normally. For example, you would never poach here and post it openly.

You have idiots there too right? This is one of ours.

There were two comments that stood out as how great hunters with good senses of humor would look at this while shaking thier heads.

Comment one- “Next we call in an airstrike on a rabbit”

Comment two- “How did you die?

A hunter shot me and missed”

Hunters here are so argued out by bleeding hearts and vegans and everyone else that’s against them that while they would never personally do this and shun the behavior to be honest, they would rather take a ironic humor approach and move on knowing that the animal died quickly, and wasnt wasted as those are the common points considered always forth fighting for.

The comment noting the missed shot is the funnier comment.

I hope that helps see it through a more American pair of glasses
In answer to the part in Red....No

However Keith Warren has a very popular channel and hunting business viewed all over the globe via the net.

You don't have to make any excuses for him or any of you fellow US hunters as the endorsements with the subscribers and brand advertising is quite clear.

This is a popular uk perception of the us

BRACES of Bristol - Mauser M12 with Schmidt & Bender 2.5-10x56 Illuminated Scope