Strangest interruptions when stalking

MackayRSA

While I know we've probably all had to call it a day early because of dog-walkers, ramblers, trespassers etc. What's the oddest thing that's ever interrupted an outing for you folks?

This morning I had the great pleasure of getting into the highseat and setting up only for a troop of people to appear in the next field along and set up a hot air balloon! Needless to say the buck I was hoping for did not appear...

Attachments

• 20210613_063642.jpg
    20210613_063642.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 20210613_063259.jpg
    20210613_063259.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 77

Stalker1962

This morning I had the great pleasure of getting into the highseat and setting up only for a troop of people to appear in the next field along and set up a hot air balloon!
Yeah. Got the "Virgin Balloon" badge a couple of years ago.

I am pretty much over it now...

Bastards.

Herewith is the original post.

I was once deployed after the biggest Buck on our land. He had been seen for about three years and always seemed to "skyline" himself and consequently no one had managed to take him.

I went out in the wee small hours and set up an ambush. It was a long, cold and uncomfortable night.

Not long after first light he appeared. I was downwind and dug in. He slowly made his made into a shootable position. Mentally, I already had his magnificent antlers on my wall.

Suddenly and for no reason I could fathom, he started and then bolted back from whence he came. I could not figure out why.

I rolled over onto my back in despair to vent my fury at the Gods of hunting and there directly above me was a hot air balloon - close enough for them to see the tears rolling down my face,,,

I was once sitting in a high Seat and a ballon turned up overhead. There was also two para sailing thingy’s (motor parachute things) buzzing around it taking photos I guess.

Bit like watching a Bond villain arrive really.

riflerob

A taxi drove down the gravel track, stopped when he saw me on the edge of the woods, got out and shouted across asking for directions.

Decided it was time to go home after that

FISH BOY

Had a balloon a couple of weeks ago. Lol actually helped out as the Muntie was deep in cover which I could see in the thermal but not in the scope. Thrusters fired up and she fatally popped her head up.

Funniest was actually a couple of weeks ago. It was after 8 and I was on my way back to the truck through a wood on a footpath. I heard shouting from behind so I stopped and saw four shapes in the thermal jogging along. I took three paces off the footpath and took a relaxed pose leaning against the vipers dressed head to toe in digital camo. It was only when the third middle aged Surrey accountant type runner clocked me, I said good morning, causing the other three to literally jump 5 feet in the air. They stopped for a minute and all found the funny side of it.
B7A71B7D-6FDD-439C-8BDB-942F63DF3421.jpeg

finnbear270

Not while out with a rifle, but the Witter's son managed to bombard our static pitch with good sized Oak branches, As he dragged the basket & passengers through the top canopy. (TW*T)

Jagare

I related this story a couple of years ago. I was sat up a high seat over looking one of my swamps on the first day of the buck season. I heard a helicopter flying around reasonably close by. The helicopter was liming the swamps. Suddenly I heard the helicopter getting nearer. It suddenly flew nearly overhead and started dumping its load of lime. A thick grey cloud of lime drifted by just a few mtrs in front of me. I decided it was a good idea to head home for breakfast.

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
A few years back early in the morning with a client and his son, we encountered a fairly young man staggering along completely waisted/drunk walking in the middle of no where. When asked where he was going he announced to the next village, which was in the totally opposite direction. Didnt seem to register with him no matter how much I told him it was the wrong way. Left him to it in the end as we had already stalked that area anyway.

Another time with a good friend we were out on the Roe Bucks, and a man a women walked out on the edge of the field we were watching. They had a black Lab with them, off the lead.
They stopped for a brief moment, and he lifted her blouse, dropped out the boobs and proceeded to rub his face in them. A few seconds later popped them back in and they carried on walking, oblivious to our presence nearby.

dodgyknees

Ah yes. I was stalking (crawling / slithering) through the grass and thistles steeply uphill into a good old fallow buck with a buggered leg from brawling in the Rut. We’d seen him the day before, hobbling away from an encounter with two much younger bucks, and now there he was resting up right on the bush edge at the very top of the back paddock. The wife was hanging back behind me in cover, watching for any unseen does that might raise the alarm. Three sharp clicks on the UHF, and I was to lie still and wait for the all clear. Got to within about 90m of the buck, trying to find a position to shoot with a clear line of sight on the hummocky, mega steep face.

Was just sorting myself out for a look see, when a god awful metallic screeching sound echoed around the valley. Loud, entirely unnatural, horrible noise, went on for several seconds. WTF?! The best thing I can liken it to is a heavy train skidding on its tracks.

The buck instantly stood and turned to look downhill, oh bugger he’s going to run. But he didn’t run, he just stood stock still, staring, and by turning to look downhill he gave me a perfect shot, which I took full advantage of, and down he went.

I signalled to the wife to come on over, a bit of a way and steeply uphill. The first thing she said was not a breathless and lovestruck “Oh husband, my hunter, father of my children, you are my hero” but “What the fukk was that bloody noise?!”

We were busy sorting out the buck when all of a sudden the same noise came flooding up the valley. Only this time it ended with a crash. Not too dissimilar to a car driving into a lamp post. Because of the steep faces curving all around us it was really hard to tell which direction the noise was coming from. At the time and unbeknownst to us we both picked completely the wrong direction for the source of the noise.

Fast forward to later that evening. We’re back at the cabin enjoying some cold ale when our mate arrives on his bike. “Hey you dumb bastards didn’t you hear Such&Such tipping over in the digger? Bloody well got ejected and hit his head and out cold in the river, was there for a good coupla hours! Farkin’ miracle he didn’t kark it!”

Such&Such was realigning the old 2-section steel bridge across the ford. Except we didn’t have a clue he was there. Hadn’t heard him arrive and didn’t hear the digger tramming down to the ford. The first metallic screeching noise was the first effort at dragging the one section up and over the other section as he lifted it with the Hitachi. The second metallic screeching noise was him trying to do it again, followed by the digger tipping over into the river! After we’d recovered the buck and gone back to the cabin, we had passed within 40-50m of the incident, well below us, completely oblivious to this silly bugger lying there in proper strife.

Every time I use that bridge I think of that incident and how close it came to a very unfortunate outcome, which I have no doubt both my wife and I would have felt deeply terrible about. But it didn’t happen, the bloke was fine although very cross with himself (expensive), and we got the buck. So all good.

4107CBB8-9C5E-47E8-8315-72B00EA1E106.jpeg

Last edited:

Jagare

That's a new one on me.

Why do they lime swamps?
Its to do with acid rain and the acidity of the water. They lime the lakes as well. A huge amount of water filters through the swamps. As I tell people who come here, don't try and walk on area's that have no trees growing on them. Its easy to find yourself up to you waist if you go through the surface layer.

johndeere

The strangest thing I had was a lady who would walk the forestry roads in EskdaleMuir chanting and waving her arms around in strange windmill fashion.

For company, she had 2 collie dogs who always were at heel but if they saw you what a racket no stalking within that block that day best to move to another location.

It was well stalked I’m Shure others will have encountered her she may still be there?

Best to stay out of sight

opticron1

Its to do with acid rain and the acidity of the water. They lime the lakes as well. A huge amount of water filters through the swamps. As I tell people who come here, don't try and walk on area's that have no trees growing on them. Its easy to find yourself up to you waist if you go through the surface layer.
They've been liming burns and lochs in the South West of Scotland for years to try and counteract the effects of acid rain and more often the acidic runoff from the conifer blocks....

opticron1

The usual distractions up in the far North are the usual kagoule wearers, but more exciting is when the RAF are doing their low level runs through the glens with the Tornado's and latterly the Typhoons - loud....I should say so..... gets the deer moving at great speed into the neighbours estate!

Cottis

I was out once and was passing through a long grass field just prior to it being cut, so about knee high.

About 50yds away I could see the head of a black lab and thought it weird that nobody else was in view for miles around, yet the lab was very patiently sat glued to the spot just looking at me.

I went over to see him and find out why he was just sat there. Turns out he was waiting very patiently whilst one or both of his owners were very naked on the deck and very flustered to see me turn up with a rifle on my shoulder and a big grin on my face.

I simply said "probably not safe for you guys around here. You aren't the only one firing live ammunition today" :rofl:

8x57

Distinguished Member
The usual distractions up in the far North are the usual kagoule wearers, but more exciting is when the RAF are doing their low level runs through the glens with the Tornado's and latterly the Typhoons - loud....I should say so..... gets the deer moving at great speed into the neighbours estate!
I had been sitting in a high seat just outside Bruton in Somerset a few years back and had just spotted a couple of roe does about to step out in to the clear fell. When two Lynx helicopters from Yeovilton decided to play low level hide and seek in the same woods. I was more than slightly miffed as by now I was rather cold and wet. The thought crossed my mind "would a .270win be enough gun for a Lynx" :evil: