Stuck bolt

wildrover77

Just got my ssg69 our of storage. The bolt is forward but the handle is not down. Can’t pull the bolt back or push the handle down.

Any ideas?

I’m not familiar with the SSG, but is it possible the lugs are locked into the locking recesses, and the firing pin is forward? That the action was closed & cocked, but the bolt handle has been bashed so hard that the rifle action has fired & the mainspring released?

It’s hard to put this into words, but could the action now be uncocked with the locking lugs engaged.....:-|

Reactions: TH4
I’m not familiar with the SSG, but is it possible the lugs are locked into the locking recesses, and the firing pin is forward? That the action was closed & cocked, but the bolt handle has been bashed so hard that the rifle action has fired & the mainspring released?

It’s hard to put this into words, but could the action now be uncocked with the locking lugs engaged.....:-|
And the solution is?

Just got my ssg69 our of storage. The bolt is forward but the handle is not down. Can’t pull the bolt back or push the handle down.

Any ideas?
First give everything a good wiggle, then get a bit of thin oil into free things up in case there is a bit of corrosion.

Try and push the handle forwards and down at the same time. A lot of bolt actions do need an element of forward pressure to close.

If that doesn’t work, then up and back.

Take mag out so you can get oil in from underside.

Also make sure magazine, safety catch, trigger and sear are not blocking things. Is the safety catch in bolt open position?

might well be worth dropping the stock so you really see what is happening

Can believe it. The bolt was stuck in with a rust coloured gum. It just wiped of with some wire wool.

cant remember what type of oil I used before. Must have used something that dried leaving that residue.

Can believe it. The bolt was stuck in with a rust coloured gum. It just wiped of with some wire wool.

cant remember what type of oil I used before. Must have used something that dried leaving that residue.

WD40 dries leaving a gummy sort of residue. So do a number of rust prevention preparations. Personally I like god old 3 in 1 or similar light machine oil for lubricatioon and moving parts, but Rangoon oil (which does leave a film) for use on barrel surfaces etc.

What do you reckon to Blasitoil
Love it. I bought a litre of it a few years ago and now I have small bottles of it all over the place, in the Garage, in the Shed, in my gun cabinet and even in my wardrobe.
I was introduced to it in Germany a long-long time ago and have had a ' Relationship ' with it since.

Love it. I bought a litre of it a few years ago and now I have small bottles of it all over the place, in the Garage, in the Shed, in my gun cabinet and even in my wardrobe.
I was introduced to it in Germany a long-long time ago and have had a ' Relationship ' with it since.

Same :thumb: (not the Germany bit tho)

Great all round for metal, wood and leather.

Back