Subsonic deer legal

Akeld

Bruce Potts done an article in Shooting Sports, can't recall the muzzle energy he got though. Might be worth a search

Greener Jim

If we are thinking of the same article he used a 308 for his test which can't get near the 1700 ft-lbs (or 1000 ft-lbs) needed. Realistically one would need a .416" minimum for 1000 ft-lbs or a .510" (although it is possible with a .458") for 1700 ft-lbs.

Greener Jim

I know a guy, in the UK, with the same cartridge. His is a Ruger No1 but not fired it yet and not sure if it's just for target. Looks to be one heck of a round.

mchughcb

I use a 416 Remington with 29gr of trail boss pushing a 400gr woodleigh for 1080fps. Now ive upped it to a 450gr. Still makes a boom but without the crack.

Greener Jim

And that's small deer legal here even with the 400gr, even more so with the 450. Thanks for the info, shame you guys don't have easy access to suppressors as that would be summat special.

Biathlonjimmy

Any chambering the can push a 700gr expanding projectile at 1050fps to provide 1714ftlbs. Sounds like an interesting project. I wonder how ricochet prone it would be? What about a muzzle loader in a .72 cal.

Last edited:

Greener Jim

I think ricochet would be a definite consideration but in the correct setting not a deal breaker. Plus at that velocity one could run a pure lead bullet (even a hollow point) which would hopefully expend all its energy in the beast.

Problem with muzzleloaders is the patch/sabot/wads getting in to the moddy. There is likely ways around it but even then removing the mod to load it's isn't my idea of fun haha

mchughcb

And that's small deer legal here even with the 400gr, even more so with the 450. Thanks for the info, shame you guys don't have easy access to suppressors as that would be summat special.
The only one ive actually seen that you might like is the 510 whisper. I never bought it because it was too much hassle and expensive to get the 750gr ammo.

Ray7756

Friend of mine uses a 45/70 underlever with black powder and close to 500 grn bullets on fallow, drops them stone dead and very little meat damage, not sure if he is subsonic will have to chrono him next time on the range
pretty sure a 500grn bullet would be legal even subsonic
Cheers
Ray

Lupus

Like to see how Bruce Potts did the 308 deer legal subsonic. Heaviest bullet I could find was a 240gr. At 1080fps gives a muzzle energy of 622ft.lbs. Not even close.

Wolfie

Greener Jim

How about a rifled 12GA? That might do the trick fairly easily.
Barrels aren't easily acquired unfortunately but it's not a bad shout. For no reason, doesn't appeal though.

Friend of mine uses a 45/70 underlever with black powder and close to 500 grn bullets on fallow, drops them stone dead and very little meat damage, not sure if he is subsonic will have to chrono him next time on the range
pretty sure a 500grn bullet would be legal even subsonic
Cheers
Ray
I imagine it does! He would be small deer legal in England with 500gr subsonic but not large. As it is he is probably around 1250fps which is large deer legal in England, not by a huge amount though.

Like to see how Bruce Potts did the 308 deer legal subsonic. Heaviest bullet I could find was a 240gr. At 1080fps gives a muzzle energy of 622ft.lbs. Not even close.

Wolfie
He didn't do it to be deer legal I don't think. He was just playing. As I said earlier, you need a .416" realistically to get 1000 ft-lbs and a .510" to get 1700 ft-lbs although a .458" can do it.
.510" is the sensible choice with fast twist barrels readily available.

Greener Jim

I'd not seen that article, thanks. Unfortunately not legal, one would need a 400gr at 1080fps (or a 410gr at 1050) to make the required 1000 ft-lbs.

Lupus

Ha! Sorry Jim, read your earlier post as Potts DID manage it. My bad.

These threads pop up on here frequently and people seem to think there's some special magic to making a subsonic bullet deer legal. There is NO magic. It's plain, ordinary physics. Energy, in this case, is a function of mass and velocity. If your velocity is limited by your desire to remain subsonic then increases in energy can ONLY come from increases in mass. Not primers, powder, length of barrel, Carlos Fandango moderators, Gucci chamberings, or magic bullets.

Wolfie

Last edited:

Greener Jim

100% agree. I know how I would do it and it's not with anything special, just the 500 Whisper.

I was sure I had seen similar posts on here and I'm pretty sure I've commented on some of them but couldn't find them in the search.
It obviously has it's downsides but I can't help but be intrigued by it. Nice big soft cast bullet trundling along.