Suggest a scope for my vintage PH 243

Gaothead

Hi,
I have a Parker Hale 243, what scope would you suggest that is in keeping with it? It was not, I understand, a top end rifle when new so mid range scope would be right. I like simple glass maybe 6x42 ish. Not sure if 4x is enough but would consider it. Also where can I find out about classic scopes, google's not doing it for me, is thee a preferred web site?

Cheers,

GH

Having owned a number of PH and BSA rifles, I have found that a Meopta 7x50 is just about perfect - great glass, damn near perfect magnification for forest & hill, plus they look great on the rifle. The one mounted on my BSA .243 cost me £140 on here!

If you have them on your rifle, sell the original PH rings and bases and replace them with Leupold STD rings and bases, as they look much less clumsy and won't lose zero like the PH dovetail ones are prone to do (you want the Leupold bases that are listed for the Mauser 98 FN action).

A.

Nice older German glass like a Pecar or Hertel&Reuss and the other normal names would look the part I've a 6x45 I'm saving for a nice older rifle.

Nice older German glass like a Pecar or Hertel&Reuss and the other normal names would look the part I've a 6x45 I'm saving for a nice older rifle.

+1 the 6x45 Pecar is a super classy scope if you want fixed - the Pecar variables are very nice to use if you want to twiddle the magnification. True classics!

Ian

I have an old redfield wideview 4x with 1" tube and duplex reticle and leather covers you can have for £75 + P&P.

Great little scope by the way, and looks class.

Hi
Second a 6x45 Pecar - good solid scopes and were around the time PH rifles were available off the shelf. I bought one with my PH M81 and its still very good.
The CH-S versions have a user interchangeable reticle system - never tried it but at the time gave an additional option.....
You may want to check the tube diameter - seem to recall it may be 26mm?
Also agree the PH rings that were around at the time looked less than sleek but if you want to go the vintage way...
Cheers, L

Last edited:
FWIW. my .308 circa 1986 (according to a PH smith) came with a little beaut of a Nikko Stirling 6x32 Special in gloss finish and German T post reticle.

Can see easily out to V bulls at 300.

Still have it with the gloss rings and matte mounts in my spares box, glass as clear as when made.

A real shame we think we always need something different with bigger magnification? :old:

got the redfield 3-9x42 accu ranger on my ph 1200 ,.243.nice matte black finish fits like a glove and looks just right.using warne mounts and bases .

Last edited:
Back