Sunday Stalking

User00004

Hello All

As most will know, I moved up from England a couple of months ago......While down south, I used to go Stalking on Sundays occasionally and there was never any problems.

I mentioned this the other day and was told that there is NO Stalking/Shooting of quarrie in Scotland as this is not permited.

As far as I'm aware, this is not law but goes back to when society was more religious and followed the "Sunday is the day of rest". I would just like other views especially Jock Stalkers/Shooters but welcome the input from all members.

Cheers

TJ

Yes your right no stalking on some grounds on Sunday day of rest and the more north you go the stricter it is held church of Scotland is still well attended up there ;)

This came up when i was talking to my dad a while ago. He`s always believed in not shooting on a sunday, ever since i was a kid. I do only go where there`s no houses around. I did say to dad that crop destruction doesn`t stop because it`s a sunday.
basil.

You will find that most of the hill ground has this rule were no stalking on a Sunday. You are right; it’s not law and is something that goes back many years. In the day you were supposed to go to church not out with a rifle.

Me, personnel i shoot 7 days a week and would not let anything or anyone stop this. Its not like im a church goer anyway :lol: and im normally quite when out stalking (unless I get a big red stag full in rutt) I have been known to do a lap of honor when he goes down :lol: .

But seriously yeah most of us still shoot on a Sunday.

Were in Scotland are you ?.

Cheers

Ads ;)

It isn't the law but a convention in some places. But, if a land owner wishes to enforce no shooting on a Sunday they can - so that would have legal weight - whatever their reason for doing so.

However, I do believe that there is no Brown Trout fishing on a Sunday - I think that is the law, but on the basis now of protecting fish stocks, even though it did start off a religious practice.

Yup
have to agree with others its the God Squad theory .
Mind if you are a Pagan does it count! :eek:
The Fisher folk in Scotland line up on starters blocks in Peterhead and other ports , to see who gets out first on the 12th dong of midnight.
Let your conscience guide you my son!
Trapper

Unless
you just got a brand new FA up your chimney! you must immediately test group it after walking over the kids n stuff glazed eyed and bugger the turkey ! :eek: not bugger the turkey just ignore it , :oops: but it only works with home loads ! so that gets you out of prepping the lunch Coz you just have to work out a new batch!
:lol: :lol:
Trapper

It may not be law, but if you considered going out in the far north where I have just come from, it would be frowned apon a great deal. And upsetting the locals is something you should take into account, as these are the people you may well depend on for a helping hand in the future.

Besides there is nothing much to beat a day by a roaring log fire, a good meal and a nice whisky on a day off from stalking ;)

sikamalc said:
Besides there is nothing much to beat a day by a roaring log fire, a good meal and a nice whisky on a day off from stalking ;)
Or a few cans of lager :lol:

I do think that 6 days a week stalking is enough to be honest and there`s nowt like having a day off, especially when you have been up heartbreak ridge a couple of times :eek:

wadas

For me its abit different because im at college mon-fri and have no time to go shooting so i use my weekends to go out :D usually i wouldnt shoot on sundays but im too young to be resting ;)
Brent

God

I live in Scotland and shoot Sundays. I live in the bit the others refer to as hell, so been punished already.

The FC in Scotland does write this into some of its leases, but Tillhill and Scottish Woodlands leave it to your discretion.

Private land is "as is".

I work for a living in the city so can really only hope for a bit on a weekend and with kids sunday shift works for me.

As for highlanders and whisky................thats for another post.

It's like Malc said, generally the further North and West you go the Sunday shooting thing is frowned upon more and more. It is an observance of the Lords day and it is adhered to more strictly, though not exclusively in the areas where the Church of Scotland breakaway group, known as The Wee Free's, have their strongest support.

Things are a lot more relaxed than they used to be with more and more activities taking place on a Sunday.Lots of people disappear off to hill Lochs for some trout fishing, I have shot deer on a Sunday. It is nice to park up alongside a roaring fire with a dram or three but, for a lot of folk Sunday is their only opportunity to fish or shoot.

It's a strange thing there is nothing legally to stop you, unless written into your lease, but traditionally Sunday is a no shooting or fishing day, so if you are in a sensitive area and you do it just be a bit canny and don't go mouthing off about it, no need to offend people unnecessarily.

Trouble is a lot of people engage the mouth while the brain is still in park and then instantly regret saying what they did :eek:

John

Times are changing wether we like it or not.
Remember only a few years ago, many opposed supermarkets opening on sundays as it was supposed to be a day of rest. Now some are open 24 hours a day. As usual the supermarkets got there way.
There isn`t the church goers around like there were, so the opposition is less. The stalwarts still exist and although he`s not a church goer my dad is one.
basil.

basil said:
Times are changing wether we like it or not.
Remember only a few years ago, many opposed supermarkets opening on sundays as it was supposed to be a day of rest. Now some are open 24 hours a day. As usual the supermarkets got there way.
There isn`t the church goers around like there were, so the opposition is less. The stalwarts still exist and although he`s not a church goer my dad is one.
basil.

It's the Human Rights Act - people can't tell others how to live their lives based their own religious beliefs and expect it to have any legal authority.

But it still runs deep - how many 'civil' laws/issues once started as religious ones? and how many traditional practices have a religious basis ?

Benefits and drawbacks of a secular society I suppose.

I think the Sunday shooting ban was also observed to ensure estate workers got a day off...

Like others, I work monday to friday, and not being religious, shoot Saturday and Sunday and would do so unless prohibited by a lease..in fact if "No Sunday shooting" was a condition of the lease, I simply wouldn't take it..

No Sunday, no Thankyou

Jock,

I reckon that you are right. I have ben offered FC leases with the clause and told them no thanks and why.

As the FC goes cap in hand to the government every year it might findit gets no joy for a while. Then it has to go back to its other revenue streams like us.

Tell them to stick it. clauses will go and costs will hopefully come down.

doubt it , but hey ho!!

Back