Super brass cleaner discovered by accident.

A Guy Out West

I did a load of laundry the other day and forgot that I had a hand full of .45 ACP brass in the pocket of the pants I was washing. When the load was done, I pulled out the clothes and found 4 .45 ACP cased in the bottom of the tub sparkling like golden nuggets, clean as a whistle inside and out. Liquid Tide was the cleaning agent, and the cases even smelled good. Zero residue, clean, clean, clean. Cheers.

Heym SR20

Only one flaw in this plan. How are you going to get a load of brass into the washing machine. Mummymatics can be somewhat temperamental. :)

takbok

Right, 200 cases are going to find their way into the Whirlpool soon! (maybe inside a cloth bag)

stubear

Right, 200 cases are going to find their way into the Whirlpool soon! (maybe inside a cloth bag)
I was just thinking the same :D A soft cloth bag, potentially with the brass bagged up in smaller bags within it to reduce noise further, might just be the ticket there.

I'm not sure this would necessarily work for a huge amount of brass but if you were cleaning up a couple of hundred at a time I can imagine it working very nicely!

Last edited:

timbrayford

I had a round drop out of my clothing whilst it was being washed. It was nice and clean and shiny but it did generate some domestic disapproval.

Hornet 6

I used to put my cases in side a heavy duty mesh bag in the washing machine.
Works well, just make sure you size and de-burr cases after washing, the case mouths will get a little dinged up on spin cycle.

Neil.

DanTheMan

I do about 5KG's of 9mm/.223 at a time, double bagged in pillowcases, 30 degree wash is fine but I avoid spin cycle, comes out gleaming.

Southern

I used to put my cases in side a heavy duty mesh bag in the washing machine.
Works well, just make sure you size and de-burr cases after washing, the case mouths will get a little dinged up on spin cycle.

Neil.
They sell small mesh laundry bags for washing small things like baby socks, so they don't get sucked down the drain tube. To make sure the zipper does not open up under the sloshing, pin the zipper pull to the bag with a safety pin. I am going to try this on gentle cycle, no spin.

phaedra

I do the odd batch of 50 44mag cases if I have washing to do, put 25 each into a pair of thick socks, fold over the end and wrap elastic bands round to keep them closed, I always turn off the spin cycle, take them out when done and then spin the clothes on their own.

Or, do as above without the clothes and just do a 30min quick wash (again no spin).

Ray7756

Nothing new with the washing liquid, when using a wet tumbler you add washing liquid to help clean cases, and citric acid to prevent tarnish, + your stainless pins, gets them shiny bright and cleans out the primer pockets, if you deprime your cases first
Ray

liongeorge

Put some brass in one of those bags into the tumble dryer after ultrasonic cleaning for an experiment.......beat the crap out of the necks. Not recomended!

LeftHandGuy

Nothing new with the washing liquid, when using a wet tumbler you add washing liquid to help clean cases, and citric acid to prevent tarnish, + your stainless pins, gets them shiny bright and cleans out the primer pockets, if you deprime your cases first
Ray
It is basically the same as wet tumbling - although I wouldn't want to be fishing SS media out of the washing machine!

Hornet 6

They sell small mesh laundry bags for washing small things like baby socks, so they don't get sucked down the drain tube. To make sure the zipper does not open up under the sloshing, pin the zipper pull to the bag with a safety pin. I am going to try this on gentle cycle, no spin.
I tried those, but ended up with brass loose in the drum, I then moved on to using heavy duty mesh boilie air drying bags, available from any good fishing shop.

Neil.

nicky-hoskins

I tried it in the tumble dryer in a box with media for the tumbler , I put a load in a lunch box with about 50 and duck taped it shut but with a full load of clothes and it came out well but the second time not so well as the lid came of and I was in the sh*t so I just ask my mate to do it in his tumbler it's much easier haha