Surely their joking...

enfieldspares

It's a long journey, to a country far away, with in places poor internet connection, but they'll still need to check up on them often. So maybe by trunk call?

I'll get my own. As I'm just leaving anyway.

Sampo

Priti Patel wasn't kidding about immigration reforms, although I do feel for these poor creatures. Doubt if they will be able to take the heat if they were never used to it.

uptonogood

Are you aware of how many need to be shot in Africa every day/week/year to control over population in localised areas? Why would you fly them all the way from the U.K…. Madness!
I’m guessing they arnt going to an overpopulated area though sir .
Im also guessing the alternative is to pts here otherwise why worry moving them if Africa is overpopulated with elephants (which it isn’t ,locally maybe ,not continent )
If it’s not your money why worry about it 😁

Kalahari

Other countries in Africa have excess elephants, which are quite used to living wild in African conditions. A safari park in Kent ain't really the same thing at all. This is just an exercise in making certain people look and feel good. Trouble is there are a lot of suckers out there who will believe the bull!

David.

dartmoordog

You could not make this shi*te up! I have heard of ridiculous, now this.

The precious little thing will be spending 10s of thousands to send happy Elephants to their deaths, there will be many here who have visited African countries, I have been to five, and in some areas Elephants are more than just thriving, so why not move already “street wise” Elephants around the continent if there are areas where they are sparse. These Elephants know no different, they will have a wonderful life just left where they are so those people not fortunate enough to watch them in their own environment, can admire and learn about them here.

Just naive lunacy with no consideration for the animals whatsoever, stupid, stupid people. Makes me so angry to think that these idiots believe they are doing good. 😡😡

dartmoordog

I’m guessing they arnt going to an overpopulated area though sir .
Im also guessing the alternative is to pts here otherwise why worry moving them if Africa is overpopulated with elephants (which it isn’t ,locally maybe ,not continent )
If it’s not your money why worry about it 😁

I am certainly not worried about the money, I worry for the animals.

EMcC

That Carrie, now Johnson, has a lot to answer for.
It will be like putting a Town Boy, born and bred, in the countryside and expecting him to enjoy himself !!
The imported elephants will expect bananas to be on the ground and be hosed down once a week instead of looking for a wallow !

bowji john

When I read this the following questions sprung to mind

1. Why these elephants?
2. Do they represent a specific sub species specifically suited to Kenya?
3. Do they have a genetic profile that warrants their reintroduction?
4. Why not elephants from elsewhere in Africa?
5. Where are they going and what arrangements are in place to prevent them being poached?
6. Whose paying for their relocation and how are they going to manage their successful resettlement?
7. What conservation purpose is being addressed by their reintroduction?
8. Is there a political sub-text to this program?

There might be good answers to 1 to 7 - I don't know as I've not looked into it

I pray that is not merely an empty gesture based upon no 8

Tyke

If this does go ahead then full and open tracking of the animals over a couple of years should be mandatory to monitor their’ progress.
if it’s a success then fine, & a great confirmation of how adaptable elephants can be; but if they all die of starvation, predation (youngsters), dehydration or diseases which they have not developed immunity to whilst living in the UK, then that should be publicised to prevent these sort of self-indulgent “rewilding” projects in the future.
If we could ask the elephants I bet they’d be against it…..

Basil H

They have 13 elephants living on, I believe, eight acres. Under the proposed animal welfare legislation there might be problems. They can't be put down in this day and age so transporting them en masse to Kenya by public subscription might be a convenient solution.
If the two cheetahs from Canada which were transported to Kenya to live in some sort of paddock were representative this is scarcely rewilding.
Kenya had some 34,000 elephants at the most recent count so hardly running short.