Surplus Goretex windproof replacement

EDCM

After about 6 years my Surplus Gore-Tex windproof has about given up. It has been my go to outerwear, not too warm and easy to layer underneath.

I am after a replacement but not in camo but green, FDE or coyote would be preferable

Budget up to £150.

Anyone have experience of something similar?

Eddie

eldon

Second hand Paramo, either from here or on e-bay.
From a previous Paramo fan who was deeply let down mid winter on the Pennine way I would accept camouflage and buy the same as you've had already for £30 - 40 👍

For stalking and typical use on here Paramo is useless as it can stand no pressure whether it be rucksacks or elbows on the ground

From a previous Paramo fan who was deeply let down mid winter on the Pennine way I would accept camouflage and buy the same as you've had already for £30 - 40 👍

For stalking and typical use on here Paramo is useless as it can stand no pressure whether it be rucksacks or elbows on the ground

No ‘membrane’ type fabric will survive prolonged pressure on wet ground. I learnt that to my surprise several years ago - thinking I could get away with sitting in a puddle on a rock in my fancy new eVent waterproof trousers. A wet arse showed me (and everyone else I was climbing with!) that I was wrong…

eldon

So are you suggesting being let down from prolonged exposure using a (significantly cheaper) Goretex style fabric is better or worse than some Paramo style fabric which could perform poorly early on?

I was out mid winter backpacking and camping but after three days of heavy rain most of my gear was soggy however the saving grace was a Snugpak pile smock under the Paramo. That kept me warm and reasonably dry; fantastic piece of kit, highly recommended although unfortunately now discontinued.

So are you suggesting being let down from prolonged exposure using a (significantly cheaper) Goretex style fabric is better or worse than some Paramo style fabric which could perform poorly early on?

I was out mid winter backpacking and camping but after three days of heavy rain most of my gear was soggy however the saving grace was a Snugpak pile smock under the Paramo. That kept me warm and reasonably dry; fantastic piece of kit, highly recommended although unfortunately now discontinued.

I suppose it depends how much you’re bothered by being wet!

The trick with Paramo is to wash it often to get dirt etc off and then reproof it with Nikwax when water stops beading off.

No waterproof is perfect - you just have to accept you’ll get wet eventually and decide how comfortable you want to be when you’re wet!