Survey on rare caliber ammunition

Dear all,

my name is Christoph Dehnhardt, I am based in Germany. I joined the forum, because I am conducting a study in various countires (European + South Africa) to assess the availability (or the unmet need) for rare caliber ammunition.

This study is commissioned by a group of hunters, who all share the problem of finding ammunition for the collector arms. They would like to assess if certain rare calibers are in higher demand, and eventually cater to this community.
For that we need the help of gun owners, hunting associations etc, to provide their feedback. We have set up an online survey, and I would like to invite people via this forum to participate. I include the link to the survey below,

Survey on rare ammunition calibers- unmet needs

You may also contact me at <dehnhardt@med-research.eu>
Many thanks,

Christoph

Quote Reply

Report Edit

Sinistral

Dear all,

my name is Christoph Dehnhardt, I am based in Germany. I joined the forum, because I am conducting a study in various countires (European + South Africa) to assess the availability (or the unmet need) for rare caliber ammunition.

This study is commissioned by a group of hunters, who all share the problem of finding ammunition for the collector arms. They would like to assess if certain rare calibers are in higher demand, and eventually cater to this community.
For that we need the help of gun owners, hunting associations etc, to provide their feedback. We have set up an online survey, and I would like to invite people via this forum to participate. I include the link to the survey below,

Survey on rare ammunition calibers- unmet needs

You may also contact me at <dehnhardt@med-research.eu>
Many thanks,
Christoph

Just as a general point, quite a few of the rare calibres listed are for drillings which aren’t popular here.
Nor are rifles in uncommon ex-military calibres such as 7.5x55, 7.65x53 Arg, 8x56 MS, or 8x57J.... the .308 dominates the scene
There are probably only a handful of rifles in the UK in the six proprietary Weatherby numbers on your list, which Norma can supply to order.

I’d say that sporting ammunition for these is rare because there’s virtually no use or demand for it, so this isn’t really a problem for us.:)

enfieldspares

I used to shoot a .280 Ross and that was a PITA as it used .288 diameter bullets and Huntington Die Specialities brass was poor quality. Nearly one in four had defects where the neck became the shoulder.

Stalker1962

Na - ist das eine Googleübersetzung? Ich vermute, daß man mit dem Zeitwort 'erlassen' diese Meinung besser erfassen würde.
d.h. Sie sind dem empfohlenen Nutz Googleübersetzung erlassen.
or something like that?
Ja, mein Deutsch ist wie meine Schrotflinte, sehr rostig...

thegreg

I used to shoot a .280 Ross and that was a PITA as it used .288 diameter bullets and Huntington Die Specialities brass was poor quality. Nearly one in four had defects where the neck became the shoulder.

Same diameter as the .275H&H. I’ve been through the same agro trying to source .287” bullets. I have a 7mm barrel blank I was toying with the idea of chambering for it (so I could use standard .284” bullets) but thought it could open up a can of worms getting it proofed because it’d no longer be a standard cartridge :-|

cheers
Greg

enfieldspares

I’ve been through the same agro trying to source .287” bullets.

I used to buy these .287 bullets by mail order from a bespoke (or as they say "custom") such maker in the USA. Some say that you can swage down but I've always resisted that as IMHO the lead core will swage down but the copper jacket can "spring" and become loose on the core beneath it. So I've always been of the belief that if you can't swage that diameter from the start that you are safer to bump up to that diameter rather than swage down to it.

Meantime for those with a desire to "suffer" from another now "odd" bullet diameter here's something I've always rather liked the idea of stalking with but, unlike the Ross 1907 Highland Stalker in .280 that I had, fortunately have never ever seen so haven't had the temptation cause all commonsense to leave my brain.

1938-VICKERS242.jpg

Last edited:
Same diameter as the .275H&H. I’ve been through the same agro trying to source .287” bullets. I have a 7mm barrel blank I was toying with the idea of chambering for it (so I could use standard .284” bullets) but thought it could open up a can of worms getting it proofed because it’d no longer be a standard cartridge :-|

cheers
Greg
Hi Greg, could I ask you to put your thoughts into the form I set up? Many thanks!

Dear all, I would like to invite you again to give your feedback on the "oddball caliber scene" in the UK. I am already aware that home reloading is the most common solution in the UK. Would still be very valuable to get your feed back, especially on what calibers that are not available from manufacturers actually are in demand