Suspect Mesenteric Lymph Nodes in Roe Deer

morena

Hi 300WSM,
Have studied your picture. Now for questions. Was this the only enlarged lymph node and was it a different colour to the others ? If you cut into it what was the colour ? Did you check all the other lymph nodes retropharyngeal, submandibulars ? Normally people would jump to the conclusion TB but the colour looks normal to me. Could you post any other pictures against a green background (not shiny)
Morena

Duncs

Fantastic photo, better than the black and white drawing/picture in my manual. Can you try to explain which node you are talking about. In relation to the knife point. Many thanks.

Beowulf

Your getting good at this 300WSM. ;) It's very encouraging to see so many members putting their efforts into making this the best stalking website in the UK.

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
Cracking thread this one, proper photographs, suspect and normal conditions highlighted. This is the sort of things that make a good stalking site, different from just a stalking site.

More of the same.

John

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
300wsm said:
my wife plays rugby with one of the Animal Health Officers at the local Defra office
Is this what is known as leading with your chin :D :D

John

PS keep us posted.

Duncs

Thankyou, I can safely say that to me this has been the most practical piece of advice I have had....A real picture.

Again thankyou.

The Mole

300wsm said:
my wife plays rugby with one of the Animal Health Officers at the local Defra office
I know this is a serious thread but I can't resist it ......... wonder who wins the arguments in your house 300wsm?

Remington 700

I took out a mate of mine in order to let him shoot his first deer after a long night bunny bashing and lamping brushers my mate feel a sleep in the car. But I carried on and I managed to take off a young yearling buck. The mesenteric glands appeared fine apart from one small pea sized nodule. The retro pharyngeals were slightly enlarged as were the sub maxcillaries, the lungs had slight Whitish hardening around the edge of the lungs like it had been affected by pnuemonia at some point.
I did incise the liver and it revealed puss. The hill weight of this deer was 38lb which is about the right weight for a yearling on my ground.

Usually 99% of my deer are disease free so this came out of the blue for me. P.s. the deer was acting normally, Browsing a hedgerow at the time of shot. [/img]

morena

Hi Elma fud,
Did you cut into the substance of the liver as if it was hard and/or gritty could be liver fluke, the bile ducts may also be thickened. Both these findings are common due to toxins from the flukes. Early stages you would find pus before the liver was scarred leading to a cirrhosis as it heals.
M

griffshrek

just a thought, i have got the black and white drawings of the area's to check and what to look for in a deer if there are any problems , but the drawings are rubbish . the pics posted by 300wsm were fantastic.

would it be possible for stalkers to post pics of problems they have found with any deer of any species and if the admin on the site agree we can keep these in one place for people to reffere to .

if this is ok good quality colour pics so people like myself can print off to use..........neil

Remington 700

Morena
Yes I incised the liver and it did appear to be puss / gritty. I have BDS disease cards unfortunately I probably put to much faith in them. The bile ducts did not have the "C" shape scarring as they are in the pictures and the infection only appeared in localised areas and not spread throughout the liver as in the BDS pictures. Has this deer got chronic liver fluke? If I hadn't of shot the animal how long would it take for the infection to clear up? Also would it build up a resistance to further infections
Also, what of the whitish lumps around the edge of the lungs is this also part of the liver fluke infection, or could it be pneumonia or lung worm?

Thanks.

morena

The fluke wander around the liver and eventually they die. Healed lesions show white scarring. From the photo not a heavy infection so animal could have lived out a full life had it not had a lead injection :)
The lung infection is probably healed lung worm damage. If you come across this again spilt down the wind pipe to where it goes into 2 and open up both bronchi and you may find worms. What happens is the worms lay eggs which are then coughed up swallowed and passed out onto the pasture. When you go for the retropharyngeal look at the back of the nasal passage and you occasionally find nasal bots.
M

Remington 700

Thanks Morna

It just go to show, it doesn't matter how long a person has been stalking there's always something new to learn.

Thanks again

EF

smithp18

Thanks 300wsm,Elma fud for taking the time to take the photos its good to see real life examples and Morena thanks, you keep down loading you knowledge please don’t stop. This is a perfect example of why this site is so strong.

:)

Smithy