Suzuki Jimny Fans - 2019 model.

White Hart

I know there's a good number of you on here that are Suzuki fans and in particular the sturdy little Jimny. Though some of you might be interested in the 2019 model I came across on youtube:

I think the looks are a bit marmite but undoubtedly it will be a good little offroader.

WH

It's a bit boxy (probably to minimise panel costs) but I quite like it

Wry smile that it has gone for all those descent and ascent electronic gimmicks but I guess that is the way of the modern world

My 1999 Jimny has a perfectly good descent control computer - it is mobile as it sits between my shoulders (most of the time)

More interested in the engine / gear box ratios / fuel economy and reliability info - i guess that is yet to come

Thanks - Love it! Glad they've kept the solid front axle. Auto gearbox is a great option. Hopefully I'll be able to afford a 2nd hand model in a few years or 10.

Auto gearbox is a great option

I HATE an auto-box on a 4x4! The last one I had (Gen 3 Shogun) would run away on a steep slope until the gearbox caught up. Our driveway is a really steep one, with a narrow lane and a wall at the bottom. It was a real gamble trying to balance the brakes on the way down when it was icy. Letting the 'box do the work just wasn't an option as it would race and then lock the wheels :eek: On my manuals, low-range and 1st gear allowed it to trickle their way down just fine. No doubt an auto-box is a great option (I really enjoy driving my wife's Freelander), but on an off-road vehicle I think they're a liability

Always had one kicking around the farm......Looking forward to 2029 when we can get an upgrade to one of these ;)

Ive got an auto, goes like the clappers, and swallows fuel at the same rate of knots:D
Goes well off road, switch down for engine braking down the side of a mountain.

I HATE an auto-box on a 4x4! The last one I had (Gen 3 Shogun) would run away on a steep slope until the gearbox caught up. Our driveway is a really steep one, with a narrow lane and a wall at the bottom. It was a real gamble trying to balance the brakes on the way down when it was icy. Letting the 'box do the work just wasn't an option as it would race and then lock the wheels :eek: On my manuals, low-range and 1st gear allowed it to trickle their way down just fine. No doubt an auto-box is a great option (I really enjoy driving my wife's Freelander), but on an off-road vehicle I think they're a liability

Surely you could have just held it in 1st gear?

I know what it's like balancing between brakes and engine braking. Came over the Lecht in the snow a few years back in our Subaru. A real struggle to get up from the Inverness side then balancing between over revving (auto locked in 1st) and going sideways down the hill when applying brakes. Winter tyres would have helped!

Surely you could have just held it in 1st gear?

That was it in first gear! :eek: For some reason it would race ahead though, then abruptly catch itself. That was enough to start the wheels sliding. Apart from that, the auto-box was brilliant. I just don't like them for off-road driving as I feel much more in control with a manual

That was it in first gear! :eek: For some reason it would race ahead though, then abruptly catch itself. That was enough to start the wheels sliding. Apart from that, the auto-box was brilliant. I just don't like them for off-road driving as I feel much more in control with a manual

Ooh, interesting. Not fun on ice I'm sure!

Looks like 210mm ground clearance which is good but not great. Even a Subaru forester has 220mm.

what size is the engine,

rather than the 1.3 as it was a tad hungry in the old one,

speed box can’t be to bad either,

bob.

Back