Suzuki jimny thoughts?

Maverick308

Ok, so domestic situation is changing (no negative issues) but now means we need a bigger car to get all mandated stuff in, for the family. The result means we will begetting rid of the trusty and much lived x-trail, and getting something that should never be driven off tarmac. I have permission from the domestic emperor, that I may buy a second vehicle to allow me to go shooting- heaven forbid some blood stain appear in the new car- I’d lose my genitals pretty quickly.
So I’ve had a quick look and I need it to be cheap, reliable and able to do light x country. I have a small trailer and have been thinking of the jimny as a solution- enough space for me, the hound and kit. Any bambi can fit in the trailer.
What do people think or recommend as alternative options?

jimbo1984

Jimnys are excellent one thing I’ll ask is how far away is your ground from home ?
As the two I’ve had really didn’t like going over 60 mph , annoying if it’s a 2 hour ride to stalk

Woodsmoke

Have a look at the Nissan Terrano, perhaps? A lot bigger than the Jimney, but that would allow you to do away with the trailer and give you a LOT more flexibility. You should get a decent one for less than a couple of grand. I REALLY miss my old one. It was an absolutely superb truck! The 3.0 engine is the one to go for, if you can find one

Maverick308

Have a look at the Nissan Terrano, perhaps? A lot bigger than the Jimney, but that would allow you to do away with the trailer and give you a LOT more flexibility. You should get a decent one for less than a couple of grand. I REALLY miss my old one. It was an absolutely superb truck! The 3.0 engine is the one to go for, if you can find one
Thanks for the suggestion, but isn’t that going to be a lot more expensive to run?

Coddy

A jimny will go where most other offroaders wont.
Only issue off-road is slightly less ground clearance.
Biggest issue on the road the the lack of feel in the steering and the “death wobble” between 40-55 mph which is due to the kingpins in the steering rack.
I had one with steel wheels and Mud Terrain tyres. Used to race motorbikes and doing 70 in the Jimny got the heart pumping more than doing 170 on the bike.

Woodsmoke

Thanks for the suggestion, but isn’t that going to be a lot more expensive to run?
I was getting 35-odd to the gallon from mine as a daily driver. You might find the bigger engine is comparable cost-wise if you're primarily using it off-road as its just so torquey. And the off-road performance is absolutely incredible. Be worth at least a look, I reckon

B&W FOX

I've had a few jimnys now.
Remove the rear seats.
If your buying an oldish one shop around as there are some around that have more rot than others. Walk away if not sure.
Bomb Proof engine.
Can be thirsty if you have a heavy right foot.

Reactions: atf

Coddy

I removed the rear seats in mine also and fitted a proper Suzuki rear plastic tray.
With mud tyres on i thought it was gutsy for what it was, about 25 mpg i think.
Was a 2008 with the push button to engage 4wd and low range as opposed to the older ones which were mechanical lever.

James0586

Great bits of kit my mate has one for shooting but with me being 6ft 2 it can get emotional over long distance.

HandB

My old man has used the Jimny plus small trailer combo for something like 15 years as a farm runabout and it is excellent. Reliable, economical, good off road, plenty of pulling power in 4x4 and reasonable on road for shortish journeys of less than about 40 miles. The trailer is a great add on for carrying fence posts etc.

Blobby159

Suzuki vitara? We have one as a shooting wagon, good off road and not too bad on it either. Cheap too
Me too!... Wonderful little vehicle imho... Needed steel rims and proper chunky off-road tyres but now will poottle along anywhere I choose to point the steering. Out in it tonight passed on freshly turned dry arable farm fields and in lo/hi 4x4 ratios I just let it tick over with my foot mostly OFF the loud pedal, and just steer....

ATB ..... and shoot safely

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ttocs

I’ve had a Jimmy, comfortable but noisy, good off road but thirsty. The worst thing was how it behaves on windy days, a gust of wind would blow it from 1 lane into another on the dual carriageway. My best 4x4 was my Fiat Panda Cross, 55mpg and it would go anywhere. Frequently I’d drive up the fell and all the Discoverys, Freelanders and pickups would be stuck in the mud half way up. Even better in snow to the point where people just couldn’t believe it. Cheap insurance, servicing and road tax; what’s not to like. I’d have another tomorrow if I didn’t need a larger 4x4 for the caravan.

Sharpie

Nice little things, did an off-road driving course many years ago where we charged about in defenders and sometimes got properly stuck. Afterwards the instructor took me out in his personal Jimney, which scampered along, and with the narrower track when we got to the massively rutted bits he just put one side into the rut, and the other side ran on the relatively undamaged track. We were cocked over at what felt like an extreme angle, but it just calmly drove through stuff that had defeated, cross-axled even beached the defenders. He reckoned that four strong men could even lift it up if needed. That's all I know about them, but it impressed me at the time.

hendrix's rifle

Love jimny's, with a few quid spent on them they are one of the best off road vehicles (without spending silly money) they will go everywhere you point them with decent tyres, there cheap to run, easy to service if your handy with a spanner and you can get a couple of reds in the back with the seat down. If I didnt need a bigger vehicle I wouldn't be selling mine

FISH BOY

Love the "domestic emperor" quip :lol:

Pals got one and I must admit its very impressive off road. Like mentioned before, strip the back seats out to get a sled in longwise, also leaving enough room for a dog or a third passenger holding on (normaly me) on the other side.

Lots of fun bouncing around in the back with two fallow :lol:

Uncle Norm

I had a Jimny for several years. A trailer is essential for stalking as, even with the rear seats removed, the load space is very small. Space for the dog, boots, coat etc. but not much else. If two persons, dog and kit carried, that is plenty. I also used a roof rack to carry my portable high seat.
Very good off road and exceptionally reliable with low maintenance costs. Relatively poor fuel consumption at around 33 mpg. Cheap to insure but relatively expensive for road tax, for such a small vehicle.
The engine is very quiet so good for lamping rabbits too.
On the road, you need to take your time as 60 mph is about the maximum comfortable speed. 50 mph is better.
Comfort consideration, I would not relish a 200 mile journey in a Jimny. I didn't have any hairy experiences when driving on the road but that is because I don't do fast perhaps.
I enjoyed my Jimny and would buy another. Why anyone ever buys a Jimny for a 'normal use' road car mystifies me.