Swan Problems - HELP!!!

Edchef

The title says it all really
I have recently moved into a property with a pool about 35 x 15 metres and all has been well until a couple of weeks ago when a family of Mute Swans with five cygnets in tow walked down the road from a nearby pool where they had bred
Despite my best efforts they have found some way of getting onto the property and now they think it's home They are making a hell of a mess everywhere and intimidating the dogs - not to mention my three domestic geese who won't go near the water any more. Other wildlife is being driven off as well
I know that they are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act but there must be some way of getting rid of them
Any (legal) suggestions members?
TIA
Ed

Bavarianbrit

Shame you are not based near Berlin as they are on the prey list, we dropped a pair and the breast tastes like beef.
A pitbull might cure the problem????
Good luck.

Edchef

I have often wondered what they taste like - Mental picture of my wife and I knee deep in swan feathers!!
My two Spaniels are wimps but the cob is very intimidating when he stretches upright hisses and unfolds his wings

countrryboy

Shame you are not based near Berlin as they are on the prey list, we dropped a pair and the breast tastes like beef.
A pitbull might cure the problem????
Good luck.
I'd heard they taste like beef too.

Probably just constantly disturbing them, some crow bangers or try to feed them back to wear them came from then fence them out

-ben-

Peg some fishing line or even bailing twine around the lake it will hopefully make it awkward to land and walk into the water. Make sure it's tight and won't come lose so they don't get caught on it.

old man

A mate and a couple of pig boards will let you push them gently out?

I had a bit of experience with them in a former life and even injured ones are not aggressive just defensive.
Have wrapped them up in my jacket put on front seat and driven them to the vets quite a few times with no trouble, just have to mind your eyes.

Hope it helps then mend your fence? :)

A mate and a couple of pig boards will let you push them gently out?

I had a bit of experience with them in a former life and even injured ones are not aggressive just defensive.
Have wrapped them up in my jacket put on front seat and driven them to the vets quite a few times with no trouble, just have to mind your eyes.

Hope it helps then mend your fence? :)

I once rescued a swan from another Cob that was beating the hell out of it, The Cob had driven it's rival under the overhanging dock building on the canal basin, it was obvious to me there was only one ending here unless I intervened, Later I was warned by the Arse peess ay I was open to prosecution for actually handling the swan, so be careful to not have physical contact.

old man

I once rescued a swan from another Cob that was beating the hell out of it, The Cob had driven it's rival under the overhanging dock building on the canal basin, it was obvious to me there was only one ending here unless I intervened, Later I was warned by the Arse peess ay I was open to prosecution for actually handling the swan, so be careful to not have physical contact.
Well, they missed a few opportunities with me then, i only started doing it after getting fed up with their excuses for not being able to attend.
One local vet was brilliant, he used to treat them and release for free.

Edchef

Neither are as good as a Sea Eagle,buzzard and sparrowhawk, three bird roast.

I'm sure I've seen them on sale in Lidl!

Last edited:

Cootmeurer

Two disjointed comments:

First - they are legal to shoot over here, and I have managed to bag several. Should you go that route, there is not much way to hide 25 pounds of white with a 7 foot wing span. On top of that, they truly do not taste good. Unless they have been grain fed, they are distinctly fishy tasting - a bit like a gigantic diving duck.

Second - while my daughter was at Oxford she was on a rowing team. On the days that the men's team raced, the women had to act as "swan marshalls" to keep them off the main stem of the River. According to her, swans are absolute whores for crisps. Maybe you should make a reverse trail of bread crumbs with crisps and lead them somewhere else. After all, how could the Queen be upset if you are just feeding them and leading them?