Syruping deer

Woodsmoke

Anyone 'syrup' their deer?

It's a method of observation I was told about from a friend in the US. The idea is to suspend a bottle of syrup adjacent to a known trail, with a hole punched in the cap so the syrup slowly drops on the foliage over a period of time. If a trail cam is set up nearby the chances are you can get a good estimate of numbers and habits as the deer find the syrup irresistible. Anyone else heard of this?

Highlandsjohn

"This sounds interesting, any particular kind of syrup? "

I wonder if it came originally from naturally occurring Maple Syrup leaking from broken branches of the trees when the sap is rising (Feb,March time).

So maybe Birch trees producing sap, in similar circumstances, produce a sweet taste for our deer. Please don't drill the Birch trees lol. john

Woodsmoke

I wonder if it came originally from naturally occurring Maple Syrup leaking from broken branches of the trees when the sap is rising (Feb,March time)
There might well be truth in that supposition! I hadn't even considered that. I must ask my friend if he knows the origin of it.

As for the birch trees, and drilling them? I've actually done this in the past to obtain birch sap for wine. It's amazing just how much you can harvest, and in a short time. If the hole's subsequently plugged with a wooden dowel it does the tree no harm :)

Highlandsjohn

There might well be truth in that supposition! I hadn't even considered that. I must ask my friend if he knows the origin of it.

As for the birch trees, and drilling them? I've actually done this in the past to obtain birch sap for wine. It's amazing just how much you can harvest, and in a short time. If the hole's subsequently plugged with a wooden dowel it does the tree no harm :)
Me too. :)

nun_hunter

You can buy a 5litre tub of molasses for horses pretty cheap. I've used these before with a mineral lick on the top of a tree stump with some success. You can make them last longer by putting them in a bucket and screwing that to the stump with a couple of holes drilled in the bucked an inch or two ip. That way when it rains it fills the bucket a bit and let's more run down.

johngryphon

A mate did that and possums and ants emptied it quick smart.

I have been advised that peanut butter is another that they love.

However apples especially free windfalls are almost best. This fat pig was eating them as fast as I tipped them out,he has when you take a closer look a full apple in his gob.

He is never going to be a good one (antlers) going on his shape and lack of brow tines. That is a bit strange as many stags about carry bloody good brows around here.

foxdropper

Anyone use the pipe feeders I’ve heard of made from 4” soil pipe and filled with grain ?
I know feeding deer is meant to concentrate them in an area but I think a few landowners I know would struggle with the concept of me maybe bringing more deer onto the ground .
Maybe muntjac in the pheasant close season to take place of a feeder .
The syrup thing got me thinking though

willowbank

You can buy a 5litre tub of molasses for horses pretty cheap. I've used these before with a mineral lick on the top of a tree stump with some success. You can make them last longer by putting them in a bucket and screwing that to the stump with a couple of holes drilled in the bucked an inch or two ip. That way when it rains it fills the bucket a bit and let's more run down.
My local feed merchant has doubled his price for liquid molasses, now £1per ltr, like the idea of rainwater filling a bucket.

Willowbank.
Yep I used those pipe feeders and they worked well but we're emptied by squirrels pretty quick.
I’m currently experimenting with several old Pheasant drum feeders with the spring taken out and replaced with 2’x 1.5” dia waste pipe on a nail (American YouTube idea) up on 4’ 4x2 legs. I’ve hung a plastic bottle of liquid molasses inside the drum with a tube that drips inside the pipe. When the pipe, hanging down, is wobbled a mix of pony/ pig / beet nuts and mixed corn drops out and the molasses drip onto that. Takes 10 days for bottle to drip out. Also hung a block of “Himalayan Pink” salt lick adjacent, watched by 2 trailcams..... now waiting.

Willowbank

Big Mat

My local feed merchant has doubled his price for liquid molasses, now £1per ltr, like the idea of rainwater filling a bucket.

Willowbank.

I’m currently experimenting with several old Pheasant drum feeders with the spring taken out and replaced with 2’x 1.5” dia waste pipe on a nail (American YouTube idea) up on 4’ 4x2 legs. I’ve hung a plastic bottle of liquid molasses inside the drum with a tube that drips inside the pipe. When the pipe, hanging down, is wobbled a mix of pony/ pig / beet nuts and mixed corn drops out and the molasses drip onto that. Takes 10 days for bottle to drip out. Also hung a block of “Himalayan Pink” salt lick adjacent, watched by 2 trailcams..... now waiting.

Willowbank
Our local feed place is 78 per ltr for molasses if you buy it in a 20litre barrel. Of course I completely forgot to get one when I was there this morning as I want to try it out on one particular spot!