Take a look, input needed.

rodp

I've noticed on a few threads now that when folk mention high seats someone always says ....... needs a roof now!
Now, I don't use one as on my main permission I'm unsure whether the landowner would let us put one up or not. Going to try in the summer and see what he says. I know he has trouble with the environment agency so not holding my breath.

What has crossed my mind though is it must be pretty dismal sat in a high seat if a shower blows in or in a cold wind. So, I'm thinking would a universal roof (fit all) be (A) of any use, and (B) of any interest.
I'm thinking a square roof frame made out of light tubing with a bracket to strap to a tree. This would suspend a canvas or pvc roof with sides and back panels (and front if needed). Window apertures could be put in with mesh panels in them, easy to see out, not so easy to see in.

Any ideas gents, is it worth going further and if so what would you like to see in them ?

kimh

I use a batwing/foxwing/? type of thing, got the idea from landrover. But all it is is three sticks bolted at one end with an old poncho cut to shape stapled between, I hinged the middle pole to another pole so that the second pole straps to the tree/fixture and you then fan out the small canopy, made the first one too short but the second one is walking/shooting stick length. Mk3 will have a rifle support on it :) the good thing about it is that you can just flick it out the way if you want the sun on you.

rodp

Dancing girls and cupholder seem good :D Could be a bit of a struggle getting them up the ladder though :lol:

What you reckon to the principal in general, worth making a prototype ? Then I would have to find someone to test it ....... problems, problems,problems.

Paul 600

It's a good idea in theory. Anything that gets you out of the elements and sight has to be a good thing!

For the windows maybe a plastic sheet to keep scent in? Downside is it becomes brittle and cracks unless you use Perspex.

It it needs to be simple to erect and dare I say it safe.

Mounting is probably easiest with ratchet straps to the tree.

is this a semi permanent attachment or only used in bad weather?

I like the idea!

rodp

It could be either semi permanent or temporary, just sort of kicking the idea about. What I really need is input off seasoned high seat users then I'll make a prototype for someone to try. We have a good quality clear pvc in stock so that's no problem. Only trouble with clear is if you can see out they can see in, that's why I thought of close mesh net. Our clear is literally crystal clear !

As you say, ratchet strap to a tree is the best way, it could also be used at ground level then as a hide.

Paul 600

A lot depends on how long your going to sit in the seat. Comfort and warmth make it a lot easier to sit still looking at nothing! Maybe mesh behing the plastic?

rodp

A lot depends on how long your going to sit in the seat. Comfort and warmth make it a lot easier to sit still looking at nothing! Maybe mesh behing the plastic?

Could do ? So, in your opinion, what would you like to see ?
heavy duty pvc or lightweight polyester?
Roof and 3 sides or 4 with lift up window at front?
Size?
Eyes at bottom to secure to high seat?
Windows in clear, mesh or both?
Colour, green or black?
Anything else?

Paul 600

Could do ? So, in your opinion, what would you like to see ?
heavy duty pvc or lightweight polyester?
Roof and 3 sides or 4 with lift up window at front?
Size?
Eyes at bottom to secure to high seat?
Windows in clear, mesh or both?
Colour, green or black?
Anything else?
If your going for comfort it has to be heavy duty, high enough to get in and out and long enough to go well below the feet to keep wind out. You will need a method of securing it so it doesn't flap in the wind.

4 sides is better but leads to design problems and you could argue the wind should be coming from the front.

Colour should be neutral or light olive drab,it blends in easier in my opinion.

The problem is traditional high seats in the UK are not designed for UK weather and long periods sitting in them. True comfort comes in the form of a tower seat with carpets and a place to stretch your legs or lay down. I know they are not ideal everywhere but once you've sat it one you don't like sitting in a UK style seat.

Last edited:

paul o'

**** tube as there is nowt more yuc that climbing down finding a wet ladder on a hot day :-|

cup holder as when ever you get a drink thats the time they step out !!

more slats as my legs are't 60" long :doh:

rain roof's !!

the last one who has been there to collect all the fag ends and rubbish :banghead:

not finding human land mines behind the seat or tree stand ??? , why not just bag it, or dig a hole :doh:

rodp

If your going for comfort it has to be heavy duty, high enough to get in and out and long enough to go well below the feet to keep wind out. You will need a method of securing it so it doesn't flap in the wind.

4 sides is better but leads to design problems and you could argue the wind should be coming from the front.

Colour should be neutral or light olive drab,it blends in easier in my opinion.

The problem is traditional high seats in the UK are not designed for UK weather and long periods sitting in them. True comfort comes in the form of a tower seat with carpets and a place to stretch your legs or lay down. I know they are not ideal everywhere but once you've sat it one you don't like sitting in a UK style seat.
I'll have a look when back at work next week, lay it out and get some prototypes done methinks. As you say, heavy duty would be better, it can always be left up then if the site permits it.

Thanks for the input, appreciated.

Anyone else got any ideas???

NEW UMBRELLA HAT CAP FISHING CAMPING HIKING SUN SHADE OUTDOOR BROLLY FOLDABLE PP | eBay

Hmm, well, what can I say ?:rolleyes: