Taking 4" off the barrel of my Steyr.

Co1

Is there any risk to dropping my 24" barrelled pro hunter down to 20"? I love the rifle, it's consistent and accurate, but the barrel constantly catches on stuff when woodland stalking. What should I expect to pay to have it cut down and re threaded?

Thanks
Col

acj375

Is there any risk to dropping my 24" barrelled pro hunter down to 20"? I love the rifle, it's consistent and accurate, but the barrel constantly catches on stuff when woodland stalking. What should I expect to pay to have it cut down and re threaded?

Thanks
Col
The mountain pro hunter is about that length . Ive heard you lose 100 fps per inch .

enfieldspares

I think 100 fps per 1" is pessimistic in a 24" rifle being reduced to 20". I'd reckon 40 fps per 1",

I'd reckon you'll lose 180 fps total and more like 140 fps on the whole four inch chop off job.

Last edited:

Tackleberry270

Don't do it. .243 suffer with meeting the minimum legal energy as it is with some bullet combinations. If it was 308 it would be a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Co1

Sounds like it's not a great idea then! I'm usually using 100gn ammo and shooting to an absolute max of 150m.

Highlandsjohn

Don't do it. .243 suffer with meeting the minimum legal energy as it is with some bullet combinations. If it was 308 it would be a different story.

I see you have quite a few signatures to you name, but not gunsmithing. Do you know this as a fact or a Chinese whisper..Link please.

Tackleberry270

I'm not a gunsmith John. Just got a fair bit of experience shooting 22 up to 30 cals and reloading for them. Why limit your 243 if you don't need to?

8x57

Distinguished Member

+1
and if you need confirmation of this do a search on the write up that Bruce Potts did in shooting times regarding shortening the barrel on a .243w some years ago.

takbok

Sounds like it's not a great idea then! I'm usually using 100gn ammo and shooting to an absolute max of 150m.
If you're shooting up to max of 150m get it chopped asap. A more compact rifle would be much nicer to carry without snagging. The muzzle energy difference will be academic, and I've never heard of anyone getting into trouble for a load that's below the minimum legal muzzle energy.

All the recent Tikka .243's have 20" barrels...enough said.

Last edited:

Highlandsjohn

If you're shooting up to max of 150m get it chopped asap. A more compact rifle would be much nicer to carry without snagging. The muzzle energy difference will be academic, and I've never heard of anyone getting into trouble for a load that's below the minimum legal muzzle energy.

All the recent Tikka .243's have 20" barrels...enough said.
:thumb:Rory, Here's one I did earlier.lolView attachment 82158

enfieldspares

All I can add to my earlier input is that a 100 grain bullet, factory ammunition, Federal Light Magum from a .243 with a 20" barrel is easily, IMHO, going to be deer legal...it ONLY needs to make 2,850 fps.

Last edited:

banus

my tikka is 1in10 twist and 20 inch factory barrel deer legal with 100gr partitions and 105 geco,better grouping with 85gr and still legal.

JTO

What twist rate is it?
There was a thread somewhere asking about stabilizing a 243W 105grn bullet with a 1:10" twist, and most people said it was a waste of time trying.

Last edited:

Tackleberry270

Well the OP asked for the risks. Not to do it was just my opinion. A few facts would be.... you will not reach the velocities stated in the manuals as test barrels are around the 24 or even 26 inch mark. You could loose 50fps for every inch you chop off the barrel. If you choose to drop from a 100 grain bullet at some point in the future.... say to an 85 grain, you will need to push it in excess of 3000fps to get 1700 foot pounds. You are going to struggle to do this within the advised load limits.

Will the deer notice? Quite possibly not, especially within 150m. Personally it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling to know everything is as is should be.

Highlandsjohn

Well the OP asked for the risks. Not to do it was just my opinion. A few facts would be.... you will not reach the velocities stated in the manuals as test barrels are around the 24 or even 26 inch mark. You could loose 50fps for every inch you chop off the barrel. If you choose to drop from a 100 grain bullet at some point in the future.... say to an 85 grain, you will need to push it in excess of 3000fps to get 1700 foot pounds. You are going to struggle to do this within the advised load limits.

Will the deer notice? Quite possibly not, especially within 150m. Personally it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling to know everything is as is should be.
:thumb: I believe its all down to what the customer wants to achieve. I have never had trouble stabilizing a 100 grn bullet in a 1.10 243 W hand loading. I just had to work at it, or with Norma 100gn factory iirc.