Tanned skins

kingstonandy

Anybody recommend a source for tanned deer skins?
I don't think I can be faffed to tan my own despite the best of intentions.

kingstonandy

Well I've never tried, but the battery acid method seems fairly straightforward. That or K-Tan which is a bit pricey.

stone

cheers for that
i am looking at tanning a few skins of my own and hav been given a recipe to try
shall take a few weeks to do (about 8 weeks) and will post a few pics of the method and progress if all goes well
won't start it till feb ,as i will hav a bit more time on my hands , i hope :rolleyes:

poppins

skin tanning

a cheap way to tan skins is with borax ,just make sure all flesh is cleaned off then sprinkle borax all over and rub in.the skins are fairly stiff ,but it works,you need to leave skins for some time to dry.it can be brought from chemists very cheap.
poppins

Robin

I'm fairly sure Shooting Times ran an article last year, from a company in Devon/Cornwall area that will now do the whole job so long as you can del or post it quickly. I think they quoted approx £25 - £35 per skin. Iwill see if I can find it and pm you the detail's. If all else fails contact the magazine.
regards
Robin

stone

Robin
would be interested in that article, if you could source it out
but i am sure his prices hav gone up since the article
if it is the same fella i know
because he was charging the same price for reds as he was for roe
untill he clocked on :lol:

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
K Tan is a syntan, and if you want the best results you need to chrome tan the skin to give a dense skin. Alternatively you can use LUTAN FN to tan, but remember oiling the skin and making sure you weigh and prep the skin is the secret to a good tanned hide.

I have put the details on the site before :confused: I think, but for anyone who wants the recipe please let me know.

Borax is curing NOT tanning. It will be like a piece of sheet steel :rolleyes:

Frax

I can get you some very nicely finished reindeer skins but they are horribly expensive. Drop me a pm if you want a price...but don't tell santa ;)