Telescope

gixer1

Would an astrology telescope be good for viewing scenery miles away? I have a fairly good view out of a window and was thinking of getting a telescope for general viewing….are astrological scopes ok for this?? (Never tried one)

regards,
Gixer

gixer1

No, too powerful and hard to focus
Any suggestions on what is a better option? This is for viewing hillsides that are miles away. (Say 4-5 miles) I have sat with binos and you can make our day-glo walkers/cyclist jackets moving around the trails but need something with a clearer view.

Freeforester

Money is your friend...😷

Anything beyond 35x mag is likely to show mirage too much, beyond this, you lays yer money according to the resolution, clarity and all other desireabe of the attributes. Twin telescopes, or the Swaro binocular attachment to one of their bigger lenses might serve, the only constraints being the physical and monetary ones. A decent tripod is money well spent, as if it ain't stable, you'll not see what you want to.

Nikon high end coolpix cameras have long lenses if you're thinking about capturing any images, digiscoping is aso possible, results generally aligned according to budgetary considerations.

Try to try two, to try before you buy - bye! 👍🏻

dunwater

Would an astrology telescope be good for viewing scenery miles away? I have a fairly good view out of a window and was thinking of getting a telescope for general viewing….are astrological scopes ok for this?? (Never tried one)

regards,
Gixer
I think it’ll be pretty useless, its very hard to see into the future.

willie_gunn

If money was no object I'd recommend going with a quality spotting scope. With a suitable fixed or variable eyepiece you should be able to see what you require.

I have a Swarovski STS, with both a fixed 20x as well as a variable 20x-60x eyepiece. From my home office I can see the Ridgeway, probably 3-4 miles away. The 20x let's me see cars parked there and make out people walking. The variable shows the same, but is only really useable up to about 35x. As @Freeforester says, at those kind of magnifications a tripod or other support is pretty much mandatory.

Sadly these are not cheap options, at least if you want something with the kind of resolution you won't be disappointed with.

Freeforester

I think it’ll be pretty useless, its very hard to see into the future.
Well spotted (see what I did there?), lol!

I don't know though, based on current procedures and strategies, I think it's all too clear what is going to happen come autumn, and no telescope, ouija board nor tarot cards really required. 😳 Maybe we should take the 'long view' 🤣 💣

sauer

I have Meade lx 90 and tried it in day time … basically no much cope …. In dark at moon or used as intended for astronomy it’s fantastic

personally my limited experience I think your looking at high end Swarovski spotting scope or the like & a decent tripod to go with it .

paul

gixer1

It’s as much an ornament as for viewing…so high cost items at the top of a stair case near a comfy seat would probably be out of the question….no doubt the kids would have it tumbling down the stairs!

Andy RV

I’ve just bought a west German Optolyth 30x75 spotting scope and I’m very impressed with it for the money, £250.

I can spot crows on the fence posts on a hill 3 miles away. The image is bright and sharp. After trying this I’m keen to try the Swarovski CTC to see how much more it offers.

willie_gunn

I’ve just bought a west German Optolyth 30x75 spotting scope and I’m very impressed with it for the money, £250.

I can spot crows on the fence posts on a hill 3 miles away. The image is bright and sharp. After trying this I’m keen to try the Swarovski CTC to see how much more it offers.

If you're talking the draw scopes then the Optolyth's are great, as are the original Swarovski Optik Tirol's they were based on (or it may have been vice versa). Superb optics and fantastic value.

Never tried the CTC, but I imagine they are very good too.

I was lucky enough to own both the Optolyth and the Tirol in the past, and only sold them because I bought the Swarovski STS.

User00026

Any suggestions on what is a better option? This is for viewing hillsides that are miles away. (Say 4-5 miles) I have sat with binos and you can make our day-glo walkers/cyclist jackets moving around the trails but need something with a clearer view.
You’ll want a top end spotting scope.
Don’t budget, it will not cut the mustard

sorry to be a downer

angusb1

I bought one just like this second hand for £300 a few years ago.

Altair 102ED F7 Starwave ASCENT Refractor Telescope

It gives very nice views of the planets, the Moon, and other astronomical objects, especially star clusters and is sharp and easy to focus on objects on land. You'd need a tripod and eyepieces as well but you don't have to spend a fortune to get a Chinese made telescope with very high quality glass.

You could get the telescope and everything else you need for around £700 new. Spending a bit more would get a more sturdy tripod. Drop me a pm if you'd like some pointers. The telescope I have is about 700mm long, so bigger than a spotting scope but this means the view will be of a higher quality than a shorter scope. You pay more for portability with a spotting scope.

You might well be able to try one out in the daytime on terrestrial objects at an astronomy shop, then you could see for yourself if you'd be happy with an astronomical telescope rather than a spotting scope.

Uncle Norm

Worth taking a careful look at the second-hand market for spotting scopes and tripods. Bird watching sites can be productive.
Several years ago I bought a Leica spotting scope with 77mm lens and 20-60 eyepiece, in immaculate condition with other accessories for £600 when they were £2,500 new.
Once a new model comes out the keenie-beanies just have to get it, consequently the prices of the earlier models plummet.
Velbon do very good tripods at sensible prices too.
Reputable dealers such as Cley Spy have good used stock. Used Equipment | Buy Online at CleySpy

Ade8mm

Also the image will be upside down with an Astronomy telescope. (Unless you add a lens to invert the image back to the right way up)
I have one and it is not much use for spotting stuff on the ground. Much too powerful but will work to a degree, also not good in low light. A drawscope or spotting scope is a much more useful option imho. 😎

angusb1

You can get a 45° erecting diagonal that will put it the right way up and make it comfortable for terrestrial viewing rather than pointing up at the sky Sky-Watcher 45° Erecting Prism | First Light Optics. You need to choose a low power eyepiece as well to get lower magnification. A spotting scope is a smaller more portable off the shelf option, an astro telescope is more flexible, you can use it for astronomy too.

Last edited:

Rhodesianjess

As above,bird watching telescopes are good value. My late father in law left me his two when he passed, plus a pair of superb binoculars. Telescope is used regularly for selecting deer for forthcoming culls, however only for tripod use. IMG_20210814_082632.jpg