Telescopes and Astrophotography

Morkai

Anybody into either?

I have a Celestron Nexstar 130slt that a bought about 10yrs ago or so. Ive not used it for a few years and Im about to get it back out with the hope of doing some photography.

Does anybody else here dabble with scopes and astro?

Im looking at getting something cheapish like a Canon 600d to try.

Heres a pic of Jupiter and the moons I took with an old Galaaxy S6 up to the eyepiece, hence the glare but with the naked eye you could make out the stripes of Jupiter, very cool. VIDEO0042_0000024115_1.jpg

pwinnall

I have a 600D I bought for Astro photography. But it’s a bit big for my mount on the Celestron 8se. If you were interested?
I will need to get a proper ASI planetary camera to suit my telescope.
Happy to send you pics if you wanted.

Morkai

I have a 600D I bought for Astro photography. But it’s a bit big for my mount on the Celestron 8se. If you were interested?
I will need to get a proper ASI planetary camera to suit my telescope.
Happy to send you pics if you wanted.
Thank you,

Im just looking at the moment and wont be making a purchase until around Nov/Dec as I have some other commitments first but if you still have it then, please let me know.

Morkai

Andyquadra

Not sure what power the lense is, let you know when o get home.
I've not got round to reading the instructions on how to drive it, I just point and focus.

angusb1

I'm mainly a visual observer but I have done some astrophotography. I found that without a permanent observatory it was a lot of setting kit up and putting it away afterwards compared to visual observing, plus good astrophotography kit is really expensive and the cheaper stuff more of a faff to set up. I ended up getting a 10" dobsonian, a binoviewer and a few eyepieces. It lives in the garage so no cooldown, long focus so not much need for precise collimation and a mirror so no chromatic aberration. I mainly do planetary observing so light pollution doesn't make much difference and I don't have to drive anywhere to get good views so I can have a scotch while I look through the telescope. Saturn was in opposition a couple of weeks ago so it's looking the best I've seen it in a long time and I've been able to get good views of it and Jupiter at the same time. There's not much to beat a few minutes enjoying views through a telescope

Morkai

I'm mainly a visual observer but I have done some astrophotography. I found that without a permanent observatory it was a lot of setting kit up and putting it away afterwards compared to visual observing, plus good astrophotography kit is really expensive and the cheaper stuff more of a faff to set up. I ended up getting a 10" dobsonian, a binoviewer and a few eyepieces. It lives in the garage so no cooldown, long focus so not much need for precise collimation and a mirror so no chromatic aberration. I mainly do planetary observing so light pollution doesn't make much difference and I don't have to drive anywhere to get good views so I can have a scotch while I look through the telescope. Saturn was in opposition a couple of weeks ago so it's looking the best I've seen it in a long time and I've been able to get good views of it and Jupiter at the same time. There's not much to beat a few minutes enjoying views through a telescope
Bet you can get some nice views with that.
I just need some clear nights.

Last edited:

angusb1

Bet you can get some nice views with that.
I just need some clear nights.
Absolutely useless for astrophotography but lovely for looking through. No tracking though, I bet that nexstar is nice, cruising round all the different objects with the handset, finding stuff with the dob can be tricky sometimes.

Morkai

Absolutely useless for astrophotography but lovely for looking through. No tracking though, I bet that nexstar is nice, cruising round all the different objects with the handset, finding stuff with the dob can be tricky sometimes.
Yeah the handheld with the 130 is good. Easy to set up, I use google skymaps to identify a couple of stars to calibrate it with then off it goes.

It does planets, stars and deep space tours etc.

Ive not used it in about 5 years but I checked it over the other day, the mirror is spotless still. Dont know why I haven't used it much.

As soon as its dark and clear Im taking it up the old racecourse for a session.