Telescopic high seat.

gunner269

I’m thinking of buying a telescopic high seat, for the convenience of storage at home and transporting it about. Does any member have experience of using one please?

Tim.243

View attachment 99343

Hi, you should like this, I using it for few years.
Hunter Stand | night hunter

At £444.00/11kg with out shipping then my advice to the OP would be pitch up with a set of sticks.

Tuck you self in, work the wind. Seats are fine ( i have 6 home made ones) however for me I've shot more deer waiting with sticks than from my seats, or got down and stalked into them as they are out of range.

They all look very nice in the ad's but my money would be ( in this heat ) you would launch it after getting it set only to find a branch in the way of the sweet spot....

good luck

Tim.243

Norfolk Horn

At £444.00/11kg with out shipping then my advice to the OP would be pitch up with a set of sticks.

Tuck you self in, work the wind. Seats are fine ( i have 6 home made ones) however for me I've shot more deer waiting with sticks than from my seats, or got down and stalked into them as they are out of range.

They all look very nice in the ad's but my money would be ( in this heat ) you would launch it after getting it set only to find a branch in the way of the sweet spot....

good luck

Tim.243

I'm with you Tim, it's exactly what I do. It develops your field craft and you get to learn the ground you stalking over in detail.
Don't get me wrong but sitting in a high seat is deer shooting, do it on foot and working the area is stalking.
It's like flight ponds and foreshore fowling, you end up with dead ducks but they are two totally different experiences.

Tim.243

I'm with you Tim, it's exactly what I do. It develops your field craft and you get to learn the ground you stalking over in detail.
Don't get me wrong but sitting in a high seat is deer shooting, do it on foot and working the area is stalking.
It's like flight ponds and foreshore fowling, you end up with dead ducks but they are two totally different experiences.

Quite, I have lots to thank my dear old Dad for, creeping around shooting rabbits set me on the path I follow to day, sliding over the sea wall in the wet and cold for a chance of a teal.

Any bets on the modern stalker has their car washed for them with the rest of the busy people lol

Sometimes the added height is what makes the shot safe though!

David.

The question was posted on Stalking Directory not High Seat Directory lol,

Reading on here 150 yards would be tops for a good number of people, know matter what the shot it needs to be safe, if by adding 6-8 feet over the 150 yards to make it safe then the seat is in the wrong place.

Tim.243

gunner269

Thanks for the replies and don’t think I’m being ungrateful but I didn’t want instruction on the ethics of Deer stalking. I have a specific problem in that I have been asked to shoot a fox that is taking ornamental fowl from the owners 8 acre garden. There is no safe backstop anywhere so the only safe shot is from above the ground. I will probably never use the high seat again so it will be stored in my already overflowing shed. Thank for the input but I was really only asking if they were safe.

Gunner223

Gunner, I bought one a few years back , based on a telescopic ladder, around 3 meters high and about £120, works fine , you will need a strong ratchet strap for it , to go against the tree or post ,

gunner269

As I said in my previous post, I have been asked to shoot a fox in an 8 acre garden where there is no safe backstop other than the ground. I don’t normally use high seats but was considering buying one for this specific purpose. I only wanted to know if they were considered safe or not!! Thanks guys for hijacking my question and turning it into a critique on modern stalkers.

Last edited:

oowee

Shotgun?
I have a telescopic seat for when i need it. it's ok for an occasional, but if its a fox I would be in the bush with a shotgun.

John_R

I got one for occasional use, they are not great though.

I changed some of the nuts and bolts for shaft pins to avoid the need for tools on site.

mchughcb

I imported one. I used it. They are not that stable at full extent and not easy to carry. They do fold up pretty flat so you can store in a small space and transport easy on back seat or boot if the seats fold down.

Alantoo

I have a telescopic one which is okay...not as sturdy as the home made one...but that needs two people to lug it around and is propping up the tree rather than the other way around.

I think I still have some photos in my account on here of the modifications I did which improved the usability of carrying and putting up...the back kept flopping over until you managed to clamber up and tie it back...so I added a couple of aluminium stays.

Alan

found them...

IMG_0147.jpg IMG_0159.jpg

Oh6

DJB266

If its for use in a garden, is the customer not happy for you to use an upstairs window at the property? Saves any seat then, will be nice and warm and you may get a cuppa out of it!